Just Moved to Central NJ

frug

Hi All! Just moved to central NJ this week. I grew up riding trails in northeast Ohio and western Pennsylvania, but most recently was in southern Minnesota. Happy to be back east where the dirt is good and the rocks and roots are plentiful (I have to learn how to ride tech again).

My local trails are Six Mile and Chimney Rock - both really fun! Looking to explore more in northern NJ, NY, and eastern PA as time allows. I'm curious to know which bikes everyone is riding? I'm currently on a Transition Smuggler and Evil Calling - both great bikes but they were born in the Pacific NW where the riding is very different.

Thanks! Hopefully see some of you out on the trails.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
first -- welcome!

second -- cue the "central jersey" debate

third -- mostly ride my 5010 but i also have a "frankenbike" hard tail

finally -- keep an eye out on the "what's happening thread" and for MTBNJ group rides (we aim for once a month but we had to postpone a couple recently... next should be august) so you can explore more trails and meet some peeps :D

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome! There's usually a group ride at Chimney Rock on Mondays at 5:30 from the ballfield. Except for next Monday, which has a 9 AM start?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome! Once you relearn how to ride tech, you should check out the Sourlands. It's a super fun spot with lots of cool rocks to play on. Other than that, all the good tech riding is up in North Jersey.

serviceguy

Welcome to NJ.

The only bike you will need is a Salsa El Mariachi. /Thread

J/K. I ride a Knolly Fugitive for rocks, El Mariachis on softer rocks and a Mukluk in the winter or sand (if I am not riding an El Mariachi that is).

And by riding I mean keep playing with them in the garage.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome - I’m in central. I live close enough to Six Mile to ride there. Also check out the Sourlands if you haven’t been yet. Complete opposite of Six Mile.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome.
Central Jersey? Never heard of it.
Bike choices... Six Mile Run.. CX bike.. (ok, sometimes hardtail XC bike) North NJ I'm on a Pivot Trail429 Enduro build. 140mm/120mm. Almost never feel like more is needed, unless Mountain Creek bike park, which I do not ride.

Lots of good riding here in NJ, despite what some folks will say. There's also some stuff close by in PA/DE/NY.

We will also post up rides/events on our FB and IG pages.... Check them out here:
https://www.facebook.com/mtbnj/
https://www.instagram.com/teammtbnj/

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome!

^^^What they said.

and

Welcome! Try Nassau Trails. They kinda split the difference between Chimney and SixMile with a few “features” thrown in. 😁

ie

1656601365087.png

frug

Welcome to NJ.

The only bike you will need is a Salsa El Mariachi. /Thread

J/K. I ride a Knolly Fugitive for rocks, El Mariachis on softer rocks and a Mukluk in the winter or sand (if I am not riding an El Mariachi that is).

And by riding I mean keep playing with them in the garage.
If only Salsa still made the Mariachi. Worst decision they ever made to stop producing it.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm currently on a Transition Smuggler and Evil Calling
Perfect.

Everyone is on a Pivot or Santa Cruz, the cool dudes ride something else.

Run what u gotz, NJ is very diverse when it comes to trails.

frug

You mean best, Timberjack is the bees knees. It's like a Mariachi, but good 🤣
I’ve never even ridden an El Mariachi. I just know they were loved and have one of the best names ever. The only Salsa MTB I’ve ever tried is a Pony Rustler which was good fun.

Top Bottom