Chain Wax Discussion thread

one piece crank

Nope, nope, nope, and nope. I thought I had something laying around. Nope
Get a plastic paint can at the big box store. Here's mine with an Amazon stainless noodle basket.

can_basket60cf8134d0.jpeg

xc62701

It’s happening. Race bike drivetrain first. My do it all gravel bike is next. I’m waiting on that because the drivetrain in FUNKY!
4335DBEE-4C57-4BE0-9698-396420727476.jpeg

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Every time I open this thread I'm like, "they can't possibly be serious." I feel like every post in here is just people trolling me trying to get me to believe they care this much about their bike chains.
I just want mine to be completely silent. That's why I use the @jdog recommended Dumonde Tech Lite. What the hell do I care about a few extra microwatts? Added bonus is that it smells like blue cheese. :D

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What happens when your freshly wax dipped chain gets splattered in mud and sand?
That’s one of the benefits. Wax isn’t sticky like chain lube. Dirt and sand just fall right off.

During the 4 hour mayhem endurance race there were a bunch of sandy sections. I felt the sand on the chain and then it just worked its way off in a minute or so. This was actually the race that completely sold me on wax.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I just want mine to be completely silent. That's why I use the @jdog recommended Dumonde Tech Lite. What the hell do I care about a few extra microwatts? Added bonus is that it smells like blue cheese. :D
Blue cheese? That stuff smells
Like a chemical factory exploded.

RTalk, Dumonde tech makes some
Great stuff, like the freewheel oil and the lite is great for cables/housing. However for chains it is one of the dirtiest lubes on the market.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Blue cheese? That stuff smells
Like a chemical factory exploded.

Great stuff, like the freewheel oil and the lite is great for cables/housing. However for chains it is one of the dirtiest lubes on the market.
I agree. I have been wiping down the chain after each ride and applying less frequently and that has helped a bunch. Still, after riding with my group of friends and hearing what their drivetrains sound like, I'll live with it. I like that I can use it on the cables and joints as a bonus too.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I agree. I have been wiping down the chain after each ride and applying less frequently and that has helped a bunch. Still, after riding with my group of friends and hearing what their drivetrains sound like, I'll live with it. I like that I can use it on the cables and joints as a bonus too.
I am not ready to fully endorse the NFS green genie but I am impressed after 2 months. Very quiet and cleanish, but not clean like this full wax treatment.

carvegybe

Ok, waxing done. Won't install the chain until current one is stretched, but looking at the waxed chain I'm not 100% convinced that the wax got into all the nooks and crannies. Silca guidance was to melt to 65 deg C (150 deg F), but I read somewhere that SRAM chains have tighter pins (maybe only SRAM flat-top chains for roadies?) so I heated up to 72 deg C (162 deg F) just in case. I agitated the chain and didn't see air bubbles any more.

Maybe if I am bored I'll rewax this one again before installing. It'll still be a few months before current chain stretch gets to replacement point.

one piece crank

Not to shift the subject, but I have switched all my cables to full silicone lube.

xc62701

2 rinses in mineral spirits, 2 in degreaser, 1 alcohol bath, and now I’m waiting for the wax to cool down so I bxcn remove the chain. I’ll post up after the race tomorrow and let you know what I think of the new method.

F31CB46B-E79B-44E5-B022-FF32D7F6E310.jpeg
80313261-5240-43A3-B218-69A39B311C65.jpeg
ACF3A370-894A-4DA2-8DE4-153D299E7E57.jpeg

Karate Monkey

Get a spoke, bend it to fit the profile of the pot, and thread the ends of the chain on it. You can literally pick the chain(s) out without fuss/burning yourself.

xc62701

Did you test ride it? The chain can be a little stiff when it comes out of the wax. Run it though the gears for a few minutes if you didn’t already.
Yes for sure. I waited a little long so there was more wax on the chain then there should have been. To the point where it wouldn’t stay on the chainring. I got it to work and rode it a bit to get the excess off. It works well.

Top Bottom