21-22 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran up to Stowe literally last minute Sunday night and rode the last 2 days.

Overall conditions were good.

Monday had some nice left overs from the storm in the woods and some of the sides of trails but blue ice scratch on some of the steeper trails. Tuesday was soft spring conditions so most of the laps were on the low angle groomers. Great day for switch turns, ollies off knolls and trying to get elbows on the snow with deep carves.

Attachments

• IMG_5250.jpeg
    IMG_5250.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5241.jpeg
    IMG_5241.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 7
Got a few days in at Snowmass, CO. I've never been but was very impressed. Lots of terrain and plenty of steep stuff. The mtn had a good layout too - big but not too hard to get around. Aspen in a close drive and while not cheap the food was incredible. This place checks off a lot of boxes. Hope to go back when there is some fresh snow!

My buddy Pete is on ski's - he's been there a bunch over the years but we explored a bit and did a few runs that were his first time as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5332.JPEG
    IMG_5332.JPEG
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5326.JPEG
    IMG_5326.JPEG
    116.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5323.JPEG
    IMG_5323.JPEG
    112.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5317.JPEG
    IMG_5317.JPEG
    92.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0244.JPEG
    IMG_0244.JPEG
    146.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0210.JPEG
    IMG_0210.JPEG
    179 KB · Views: 16
This should make all the Epic Pass holders feel warm and fuzzy when they get on a Vail lift.

Fucking Vail. What a horrible story all around. I know it's a business but when the zip line company says to replace an item annually then why the hell not? For a corporation like Vail how much is a laynard even if you have to buy a hundred of them??

My wife and I rode that zip line a few years ago (2019?) and she had a weird thing happen at the last leg (where Lewis had his accident). If you haven't zip line'd you pull down on the handle to go faster and let go to slow down/stop. She came into the end zone and wasn't slowing down. She had done the other 2 sections at a slow rate so she knew how to operate it. She ended up running into the buffers and she was fine but scared the shit out of her (and me!).

I wonder if something in the mechanism fails with heat and use from the 2 previous legs? It sounds like Lewis had a failure and the laynard gave way when he couldn't stop at the end.

I miss the old Stowe with the somewhat shabby alpine slide where people got wrecked but it wasn't at 82 mph at 20+ ft in the air.

Fucking Vail. What a horrible story all around. I know it's a business but when the zip line company says to replace an item annually then why the hell not? For a corporation like Vail how much is a laynard even if you have to buy a hundred of them??

My wife and I rode that zip line a few years ago (2019?) and she had a weird thing happen at the last leg (where Lewis had his accident). If you haven't zip line'd you pull down on the handle to go faster and let go to slow down/stop. She came into the end zone and wasn't slowing down. She had done the other 2 sections at a slow rate so she knew how to operate it. She ended up running into the buffers and she was fine but scared the shit out of her (and me!).

I wonder if something in the mechanism fails with heat and use from the 2 previous legs? It sounds like Lewis had a failure and the laynard gave way when he couldn't stop at the end.

I miss the old Stowe with the somewhat shabby alpine slide where people got wrecked but it wasn't at 82 mph at 20+ ft in the air.
That is pretty unbelievable....I mean how many cables on a ski hill are holding the lives of humans? 12? 20? Like you would think when you put together the yearly maintenance plan...#1 item would be..."hey lets check these cables that can't fail" I mean there is no "fail safe" for a zip line cable....it fails and you fall....so it cant ever fail.

That is pretty unbelievable....I mean how many cables on a ski hill are holding the lives of humans? 12? 20? Like you would think when you put together the yearly maintenance plan...#1 item would be..."hey lets check these cables that can't fail" I mean there is no "fail safe" for a zip line cable....it fails and you fall....so it cant ever fail.

100% - so many variables that can cause problems - I feel like some cables would be easy/no brainers :shrug:

I think @Wrong Way Dan said hes going......I wouldnt ski that garbage for free....Killington has some balls charging $63 for that. Its like a statement on everything wrong with skiing in the east...."here is a big pile of SHIT...and we are going to make you pay out the ass for it as well"
I did go ski Killington yesterday with @Kev. It was so much fun skiing in shorts and a t-shirt. Had a huge shit eating grin on all day.

Got out of there just before it started pouring. Another excellent day on Superstar. Seemed to be more cars parked for biking. And a lot of skiers obviously had bikes in tow also. A lot of folks also camping in the Vale lots

Reactions: Kev
Super Star, May 28th. Might get out tomorrow for a run or two.

Attachments

• 89E68463-990F-409F-BCCB-055F54933E8F.jpeg
    89E68463-990F-409F-BCCB-055F54933E8F.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 6FB0E5A6-FE90-4AF5-A989-E54B888A1D90.jpeg
    6FB0E5A6-FE90-4AF5-A989-E54B888A1D90.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 11
Caught the finish of the Killington stage race today while people carved turns on Super Star.

Attachments

• 0DC633A0-F459-4F0D-A4AA-5904E6DE47CE.jpeg
    0DC633A0-F459-4F0D-A4AA-5904E6DE47CE.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 12
  • E4521994-44CA-4CD4-8607-137E73FDDAB2.jpeg
    E4521994-44CA-4CD4-8607-137E73FDDAB2.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: don
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom