Chain Wax Discussion thread

krink

Eddie Munster
I've definitely read that a waxed chain can be a bit louder than one using a petroleum based lubricant. That would probably be enough to keep me from doing it. Has anyone been able to compare?
Its dead silent. if it squeaks, I know its time to switch chains. I have onyx hubs on one bike and rolling down the trail hearing nothing but pine needles crunch under your wheels is awesome.

ebarker9

Its dead silent. if it squeaks, I know its time to switch chains. I have onyx hubs on one bike and rolling down the trail hearing nothing but pine needles crunch under your wheels is awesome.

Big fan of the Onyx hubs as well. Have one on my DH bike, just haven't made the investment on the trail bike.

carvegybe

Got my full chain waxing meth lab kit delivered by Amazon now and will jump into the rabbit hole today.

Any negative experience with waxing SRAM XX1 chains that I should know about before I start cooking?

carvegybe

Ok so I am soaking the chain in mineral spirits overnight. Is that supposed to be a milky liquid or did I f#@ up on step 1?

carvegybe

No, the liquid was milky already when I poured it out of its original container. Silca website doesn't address it, but MSSPEEDWAX website does:

1653598558822.png

So, Step 1 f%# up confirmed. Went to Lowes and got clear mineral spirits and rinsed the chain a few times. Now it sits in clear liquid overnight.

What else can go wrong?

Karate Monkey

Methylated spirits is denatured alcohol. As any camper can tell you, not all methylated spirits are the same.

It's abilities as a solvent are directly proportional to how pure (read: not over-mixed with methanol/other de-naturing compounds) it is. You can use Everclear, too...and it'll probably be easier to find/less expensive overall if you aren't spending hours looking for it. Plus you know exactly what you're getting (pure ethanol).

xc62701

I found it last night at Home Depot. I picked up a gallon of each. Was about to give it a go then realized I really didn’t have anything to put the chain in to soak/agitate. I’ll pick up something today and get this experiment started.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I found it last night at Home Depot. I picked up a gallon of each. Was about to give it a go then realized I really didn’t have anything to put the chain in to soak/agitate. I’ll pick up something today and get this experiment started.

Mason jar, spaghetti sauce jar, Tupperware, old Gatorade bottle… all work fine…

mwlikesbikes

There’s some serious OCD shit going on in this thread! I’m still using peasant White Lightning on my chain after all these years.

Serious question: What happens when your freshly wax dipped chain gets splattered in mud and sand? Does it come off again or do you hose it off and relube it with your drip lube of choice?

one piece crank

No, the liquid was milky already when I poured it out of its original container.
I think you got the environmental "green" formulation - it's milky right out of the container. I have used that in my parts cleaner, with similar results, but I prefer and now only buy the standard odorless mineral spirits.

Top Bottom