Chain Wax Discussion thread

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Did no one else read this as “Brazilian” Chain Wax? No? Just me?

I feel…
E390CF36-19F2-44B2-B4E7-BD550CC9AD82.jpeg

Karate Monkey

Silca website describes the solvents needed to clean chain. I'm particularly surprised by aerospace use approved degreaser that is recommended:
View attachment 185301

Overkill?

Are you trying to get your chain implanted inside of you? WTF is up with those directions.

1) mineral spirits, fine. Agitation in the parts cleaner is fine, even. Overkill, but fine.

2) nutso.

3) further nutso

4) even further nutso.

5+6) etc.

The stuff a chain comes packed in is petroleum based, like, everywhere. Paraffin is petroleum based. Chuck it in the hot crock pot, I promise it's not going to screw anything up. You can leave the chain in mineral spirits overnight, and I promise it will come out 99% grease free as that nonsense if you want. You can even *gasp* put that directly into the crockpot.

The truth is, you can't sell someone on something (ie, your super-secret wax formula) without also convincing most of them that it needs to be SUPER COMPLICATED to apply...because otherwise, it couldn't possibly be that easy.

If you want, however, to play mad scientist...there's nothing wrong with that, and you don't need anybody's permission to do it...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you trying to get your chain implanted inside of you? WTF is up with those directions.

1) mineral spirits, fine. Agitation in the parts cleaner is fine, even. Overkill, but fine.

2) nutso.

3) further nutso

4) even further nutso.

5+6) etc.

The stuff a chain comes packed in is petroleum based, like, everywhere. Paraffin is petroleum based. Chuck it in the hot crock pot, I promise it's not going to screw anything up. You can leave the chain in mineral spirits overnight, and I promise it will come out 99% grease free as that nonsense if you want. You can even *gasp* put that directly into the crockpot.

The truth is, you can't sell someone on something (ie, your super-secret wax formula) without also convincing most of them that it needs to be SUPER COMPLICATED to apply...because otherwise, it couldn't possibly be that easy.

If you want, however, to play mad scientist...there's nothing wrong with that, and you don't need anybody's permission to do it...
I've also read and heard that most of the complicated steps are unnecessary.

I had a lot of luck of taking a new chain and just dumping it in the crock pot with wax. Only issue I've had is using it indoors on the trainer for the first ride will get little bits of wax everywhere, so best to do the first ride outdoors.

I've taken dirty chains and cleaned them via mineral spirits but it kind of sucks. I just switched to waxing new chains as I bought them.

And I mostly switched back to oil as I didn't feel like making a project out of chains.

carvegybe

I had a lot of luck of taking a new chain and just dumping it in the crock pot with wax. Only issue I've had is using it indoors on the trainer for the first ride will get little bits of wax everywhere, so best to do the first ride outdoors.

I've taken dirty chains and cleaned them via mineral spirits but it kind of sucks. I just switched to waxing new chains as I bought them.

And I mostly switched back to oil as I didn't feel like making a project out of chains.
But isnt it supposed to be easy after you get a chain waxed the first time? Why did you go back to oil?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
received the ultrasonic cleaner today and went on an environmental nightmare of a cleaning process. Have to say my chain has never been so clean.

Anyways, I am using the NFS green genie, will see how it fairs on a really clean chain and mostly clean everything else.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I never tried the half ass way. So I can’t say if dropping a new chain with factory grease into a crock pot of wax will work. I’d love for someone to try it and let us know. I’d bet my multiple bottles of T9 that it would work like shit and make the drivetrain a complete mess. But, hey I’ve been wrong before.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's

So selling a product to customers and telling them it’s extremely complicated to use is a better strategy than saying it’s super simple?

I’m going to go ahead and disagree with that. Lol.

serviceguy

I never tried the half ass way. So I can’t say if dropping a new chain with factory grease into a crock pot of wax will work. I’d love for someone to try it and let us know. I’d bet my multiple bottles of T9 that it would work like shit and make the drivetrain a complete mess. But, hey I’ve been wrong before.
I don’t see how dropping a chain with factory grease in a hot crock pot of wax would allow the grease to be replaced by the wax, maybe in the exposed bits but where it’s most important, within the rollers, chances are the grease would burn and get trapped by the melted wax. It’s just a guess though, but I woold bet your multiple bottles of T9 that you’re right too.

johnbryanpeters

I don’t see how dropping a chain with factory grease in a hot crock pot of wax would allow the grease to be replaced by the wax, maybe in the exposed bits but where it’s most important, within the rollers, chances are the grease would burn and get trapped by the melted wax. It’s just a guess though, but I woold bet your multiple bottles of T9 that you’re right too.
Melted wax is not going to burn grease. I'm guessing that the grease and wax would dissolve in each other and that the grease quantity would be so low as not to materially affect the properties of the wax.

rick81721

Lothar

I have never taken a chain apart so never bothered with the soaking step. Just cleaned the crap out of it (with silca spray solvent) on the bike and then applied the "magic wax" lube. Seemed to work fine

krink

Eddie Munster
This is about how dirty a properly waxed chain gets. Completely silent and saving watts.

View attachment 183210
jumping in late, but I do the same stuff. It is a pia to start up but once a system is worked out, its ok and the results are awesome. I bought 2 new chains degreased them with mineral spirits x2, then denatured alcohol. got a small crock pot with wax and soaked them. hung them both and when one squeaks I put the other one on. I rewax when both worn. to clean, I pour boiling water on them, the wax/dust residue that comes off is impressive, and let them dry. The silence and no cat 5 tattoo are great.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
jumping in late, but I do the same stuff. It is a pia to start up but once a system is worked out, its ok and the results are awesome. I bought 2 new chains degreased them with mineral spirits x2, then denatured alcohol. got a small crock pot with wax and soaked them. hung them both and when one squeaks I put the other one on. I rewax when both worn. to clean, I pour boiling water on them, the wax/dust residue that comes off is impressive, and let them dry. The silence and no cat 5 tattoo are great.

It is a pita, but once you have the setup and have done it once or twice it’s not bad at all. I think having 2 chains and 1 of them being ready to go is the way.
The Silca drip wax works great and alleviates the need for a second chain.

And agree x1000 about the silence and no more cat5 tattoos.

But I gotta say, I hope I never run into anyone who reads this thread when my chain is making noise because I’ll never live it down.

ebarker9

I've definitely read that a waxed chain can be a bit louder than one using a petroleum based lubricant. That would probably be enough to keep me from doing it. Has anyone been able to compare?

Top Bottom