Deer Park Conditions

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Did a fight club with two others just now. They had studs, I didn’t (#irony). While studs helped in some sections, they weren’t essential. Trails have some foot and bike traffic and are packed nicely. The untouched snow is just the right kind of crispy (not frozen, good traction).

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
From this eve…1” of fresh over a firm (albeit lumpy) base. It was slow going in spots but no studs needed. Our hard work leaves y’all with about 7 miles of fun for the weekend. Would have tried for more but we ran out of steam.
E2847AC1-B5F4-4082-8600-A863BB9AF4BC.jpeg

617AE52E-DE7A-4320-A0F7-163B13F273F0.jpeg

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Another stellar ride at DP just now. Mix of packed sections and untracked. Other than a couple of steep bits where we spun out and had to hoof it for a few feet, all rideable.

Ron

Did a nice ride today at Deer park. Out around the lake. I really do not know trail colors there but we were out by the overlook and around, 9 miles. Rode from 10am-1pm. Very little ice. Trails are solid.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Deer park is actually in great shape, the usual wet suspects for this time of year. Saw some fresh saw on a couple trees. There is one nasty tree on the barberry trail and couple on some of the secondary trails but otherwise pretty clear surprisingly.

xc62701

Deer park is actually in great shape, the usual wet suspects for this time of year. Saw some fresh saw on a couple trees. There is one nasty tree on the barberry trail and couple on some of the secondary trails but otherwise pretty clear surprisingly.
I agree. I was there yesterday and ready for some deadfall issues but surprisingly only found 1 or 2 on rogue - and they were easy to step over. The rest of what I rode was good!

slushdog

Conditions were good at Deer Park. Some puddles that you can ride through easily, muddy patches but otherwise 90% of the trails were dry. We did Deer Path, Lakeside and short jaunts on unmarked connector trails.

Robin

There is a ginormous tree down across the fire road past the last gate on the way to the lake. Trails overall were leafy but in great shape!!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is a ginormous tree down across the fire road past the last gate on the way to the lake. Trails overall were leafy but in great shape!!
Thanks that tree was noted to our resident sawyer, usually those are taken care of by the park officials.

xc62701

Two trees down on the trail behind the school/Rutherford Hall. One pretty large and the other at waist height. Outside of that trails were in great shape yesterday. Enjoying the leafy goodness!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Its come to my attention that the road into the main lot is now closed by both the owner and now the state. Seems the owner never got the state to budge on financial support so he then got them to close access as per their website.
Screenshot_20230415-212745_Facebook.jpg

Use either villa school lot or panther valley or waterloo at kinney road. There is an area i am going to contact monday that can be a new destination main lot if we cant get the main lot straighten out.

JohnB

Its come to my attention that the road into the main lot is now closed by both the owner and now the state. Seems the owner never got the state to budge on financial support so he then got them to close access as per their website.
View attachment 211618

Use either villa school lot or panther valley or waterloo at kinney road. There is an area i am going to contact monday that can be a new destination main lot if we cant get the main lot straighten out.
I am pretty local to Deer Park and saw the road close about 3 weeks ago. I got in touch with Steven State Park and they told me the road was closed as it is dangerous to drive due to all the potholes (which have really always been there). The road is closed until repaved but they could not tell me the date the paving was planned to take place.

I have been parking at the Villa School but that is not likely a green trail from Villa so it will preclude a bunch of new / novice riders from using Deer Park. That trail has multiple rock gardens, bridges, downed trees etc. Not a black diamond but likely a blue.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I should update this better from my first post

The owner has nothing to do with the road closure, state closed the road due to the culvert by the main lot has been deemed unsafe. State has to improve that in order to make it safe for emergency and fire vehicles. From what it sounds like the repairs and road will be fixed at best by the fall but it is NJ. Further more the state and owner had an agreement but then covid happened and new government workers have since been anointed and the old agreements were now expired. Hope this helps.

JohnB

Is that the parking lot (street) with the metal fence you ride through by Tilcon? Do you know the name of that trail that connects the two areas. If it is tough i’d love to try it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom