Does anyone do Concept 2 rowing in the winter?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I just picked up another one. For me I got frustrated with different gyms. It sucks to pay for a gym whether it's $10 or $40/month to use equipment that is not maintained. I left Retro in 2014 for La Fitness because of the pool. Since then I just get disappointed when I do anything there. They constantly have 1/2 the fleet of tread mills out of service and other cardio equipment missing pedal clips, bolts, knobs etc. Even the rowing machine they have is a cheap model that slips when you row.Those reasons combined with having two kids under 3yo at home makes this move make that much more sense. It's a mentally tough workout as it's simple rowing and nothing more. I do it in my garage in front of my 50" tv and watch supercross races on demand. Anyways, I typically do 10,000-15,000 meter rows. Does anyone else have one?

I use one at the gym every once in a while...I rowed a little in high school and my brother rowed through HS and college so he ergs more often. I find my ass killing me if i try and crank out 10k meters, i more often find myself doing 5x1000 or 8x500, but every once in a while ill put myself through the pain of a 20 minute piece

I have be rowing on a Concept 2 rower for 15 plus years. IMHO it's the best cardio work out and strengthens your core . Any sport I do the rower keeps me in shape for, whether it's sking or biking.

I use a heart monitor and after warming up for 8 min I row at 800-850 calories per hour with the fan open for 50 min total. Also concentrate on flexing your stomach muscles , this will help you straighten your abs .

I switched the handle to a wider MTB bar, it works your lats more. I learn this from the Pro SX motocross guys.

just picked one up this christmas, and am doing it a couple times a week - going easy - first time i used it, and doubled up the day with a ride,
the hammies cramped up - i suspect it was the extended range of motion - but all good. i've been playing the dart game. i think that is 200 rows?
and they are aiming at a cadence of 30/minute. so not very long yet.

in front of tv also - but in the basement with the other stuff.

30 strokes per minute is correct.

Also on the catch stroke (coming in) do not let your knees bend less than 90° or over time you knees will hear. The easy way to do this is do not let your heels lift off the foot pad.

30 strokes per minute is correct.

Also on the catch stroke (coming in) do not let your knees bend less than 90° or over time you knees will hear. The easy way to do this is do not let your heels lift off the foot pad.

without lifting my heels, my shins go to vertical. it isn't uncomfortable, but i'll double check that i'm not stretching the joint.
i don't have big (meaning any) leg muscle to get in the way.......

thanks for the heads-up

Hmmm, I just row the way the instructions say. 10,000 meters is always a challenge for me. I get my cadence on my bike but try to work anaroebic on the rower. Does anyone have goals they always try to beat?

I wanted a water rower from the second I saw one on House of Cards... then I saw how much they cost.

@Dave Taylor do you still row, and did your Concept2 make the move with you?

I recently picked one up, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. I wanted something that I could do at home when I don't have the time or motivation to ride outside or drive to the climbing gym. I know that the trainer doesn't work for me, and while I'd previously owned a cheap elliptical, good ellipticals are expensive and I wanted to try something different anyway.

I was sitting on my couch drinking a beer a few Fridays ago, and the trail conditions were poop, and I didn't want to climb because I knew we were gonna climb the next day. So I was just drinking my beer thinking it would be awesome if I had something I could do for exercise at home. I was scrolling through Reddit and saw ads for the Hydrow, and I decided to buy a rower. But not the Hydrow obviously, because it's expensive and has a monthly fee. I did like two minutes of research and bought a Concept2.

It arrived last week and I've been trying to ease into it so I don't get hurt. Compared to back when I used to try and ride a trainer, I was amazed at how easy it is to get my heart rate up on the rower.

Is there a difference doing it in the winter vs the summer?

Based on how much I sweat in my cold basement with a box fan pointed at me on full power during the winter, I can't really imagine using this thing during the summer.

I just looked up the price on the Concept 2 rower and it's half the price I would have thought.

My gut feeling on price of course just based on bike parts pretty much. It seems like the gold standard.

Not that I can fit it anywhere, but a rower seems like it's a nice indoor exercise device that's not a trainer.

Concept 2 is what all the pros use. I just sold mine. I did 10k meters so many times trying to beat Travis Pastrana's time. I finally got down to 34:50ish. I have owned 4 and don't plan on buying again. For me, once I got in cycling shape it's very tough to find a place on the rower. Not sure why. I was going for 10k the last 3 times and mentally broke at 5k each time. If u enjoy it there is great benefit.
I recently signed up for a gym. I am zwift running, zwift racing , outside running and cycling. Seems a good combo. I went from 208lbs on new years to 201 today. Hopefully sub 185 for 12hrs port Jervis.

I just looked up the price on the Concept 2 rower and it's half the price I would have thought.

My gut feeling on price of course just based on bike parts pretty much. It seems like the gold standard.

Not that I can fit it anywhere, but a rower seems like it's a nice indoor exercise device that's not a trainer.
The rower comes apart with no tools in 10 seconds. I put mine in the laundry room. You can sign up for various challenges throughout the year via their erg app. Heads up, their bike is awesome also...

I have really wanted a concept 2 rower forever and missed out on a few deals from people who probably used it once during COVID.

Trying to make room in the basement is the tricky part but hopefully soon. Or I will just buy one and force myself to make room.

When I used to go to the gym it was always my main exercise for full body fitness when not riding. Killer workout for even just 20 minutes.

If anyone sees a good deal LMK.

I have really wanted a concept 2 rower forever and missed out on a few deals from people who probably used it once during COVID.

Trying to make room in the basement is the tricky part but hopefully soon. Or I will just buy one and force myself to make room.

When I used to go to the gym it was always my main exercise for full body fitness when not riding. Killer workout for even just 20 minutes.

If anyone sees a good deal LMK.
I have to imagine spring once everyone who bought that stuff cleans their house.

I finally got down to 34:50ish.

Dayum. I did a 5k in 19:56 and a 10k in 42:00 and they both killed me. Granted they were my fourth and sixth times rowing, but that still sounds really impressive.

I went from 208lbs on new years to 201 today. Hopefully sub 185 for 12hrs port Jervis.

Nice, good luck!

The rower comes apart with no tools in 10 seconds. I put mine in the laundry room.

You can also stand it up if your ceiling is at least 8 feet tall and it takes up almost no space, but they tell you not to do that for some reason.

Trying to make room in the basement is the tricky part but hopefully soon.

A key part that I left out is that I happened to clean out a bunch of old shit in the basement last Fall, so I had plenty of space for it down there.

Killer workout for even just 20 minutes.

I bought it thinking I would build up to an hour of easy cardio and use it once a week or so when I don't ride/climb. Now I'm thinking I'll do 20-30 minutes in the morning a few times a week, and occasionally do a longer session when I can't ride/climb. Like I mentioned earlier though, I sweat a lot. Not sure this thing will see much use during the summer.

Yeah, it's pretty solid for $1k, and they supposedly last forever and hold their value well. DT can probably attest to that, as he apparently used to be a Concept2 importer/exporter.

It seems like the gold standard.

Yeah, I checked a few sites, and the wiki page for r/Rowing, and they all said just buy a Concept2. I love when I can do minimal research and just buy something.

Not that I'm already looking to drop another grand on exercise equipment, but I would love to know what @Jmann thinks of the Skierg :popcorn:

I have to imagine spring once everyone who bought that stuff cleans their house.
Yeah I missed the fall clean out window when all the COVID people were getting rid of them. Now that it’s winter everyone is using them. Well probably not.

Back
Top Bottom