Notes from a Millennial

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i prefer not to be defined by the bounds of a generation however all these old guys on here make me feel young.

Also, mentions hiking:

1642710150336.gif

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm tired of hiding my hiking and running.

MTBers hating hikers is as lame as snowboarders hating skiers.
We will bring this over here so we don't explode @Santapez thread

I don't think there is this huge hate coming from the mtb community towards hikers, they are more just something mtb'ers have to deal with. From a trail user perspective, the hate coming from hikers is much stronger towards mtb. There are hiker based organizations that aim to not include bikes, hell one of the local ones in my area, the CEO won't even return my calls when asking to coordinate TM efforts. Every park that they maintain is no bikes, every single one.

But anyways, it is cool if you hike, but put it in perspective that you are writing a blog on a mtb site and yes, we all have things we do outside of riding, but your really can't expect everyone to be all excited about hiking when we here to talk about bikes.

Over the Bars

Hiking is a great workout and frequently takes you to places you couldn't get to on a bike. I can't stand all the different groups of people that want to lay claim to how state land should be used its absurd. We all pay for it everyone has equal claim to do legal activities on it! I'm the most hated of them all I mountain bike, hike and hunt and in general all 3 of these groups hate each other and think the woods is all theirs. You should see the looks I get if I use my bright blue Stumpy with a bow on my back to get further Into the woods.

serviceguy

So this thread is off the rails. I'm going to attempt to reign it into semi relevant content here.

Millennial fact #1: I am among the 37% of Millennials who own homes which affords me a bunch of space for me to play bike mechanic in my basement. I scored the Yukon (HF special) box a couple years from a retiree on FB marketplace and then built this very unsturdy workbench shortly after. Set it up and just kind of have been dealing with it even though it's wildly unergonomic in it's current configuration:

View attachment 176737

When working on the bike it's 2 steps to get to the box and basically turning around to get to the bench. There's also more workspace on the bench making it more efficient. I toyed around with the idea of a tool tray but don't like it for a double stand like this...with both bikes on there it's not ideal to reach for.

Also there's the hell that is the top drawer of the box that spurred this little project:

View attachment 176738

So off to Harbor Freight for some more pegboard hooks and a decent idea of what I wanted to do thanks to the inspiration of Park Tool. I liked the idea of organizing the bike specific tools in order of front to back of where you'd use it. I.e. headset press near the front, BB tools in the middle, cassette tools in the back etc. And what I came up with:

View attachment 176740

View attachment 176741

(Starting to dislike that grey accessory thing, but it stays for now)

View attachment 176742

And as a result the top drawer is much more managable with a little organizer for the bleed kits:

View attachment 176743

I pulled my fiancee's BB last night to test it out and it felt more natural in the new configuration. At least accessing the T-handles and sockets was much better than before. This of course is forever a work in progress. There's also a chance we move in the next year so I'd get to start over and fix all the annoying parts of this workshop.
May I suggest you to buy the plastic base for the wheel standif you don't have it already? I don't find it to add any value in term of storage (it comes with a few spoke wrench slots and tiny trays that I never use) but it makes for a wider, more stable base that can also be tilted (only real plus over a simple piece of wood screwed to the bottom of the stand).

bergsnj

Nice tool setup and bike dungeon. I'll be following this thread as i ride the same trails daily and am almost a millennial(i'm in the weird generation between gen x and millennial that has no name born in the late 70's/early 80's).

You gotta love doing your own work on the bike instead of waiting for a bike shop to fix or maintain something.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Another *just squeaked in* millennial here ('83) who's also in the 37%. Really nice workshop. I have one as well but if i actually had the time and skills to do a lot more of my own bike work, it would look a lot nicer, something like yours.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
So this thread is off the rails. I'm going to attempt to reign it into semi relevant content here.

Millennial fact #1: I am among the 37% of Millennials who own homes which affords me a bunch of space for me to play bike mechanic in my basement. I scored the Yukon (HF special) box a couple years from a retiree on FB marketplace and then built this very unsturdy workbench shortly after. Set it up and just kind of have been dealing with it even though it's wildly unergonomic in it's current configuration:

View attachment 176737

When working on the bike it's 2 steps to get to the box and basically turning around to get to the bench. There's also more workspace on the bench making it more efficient. I toyed around with the idea of a tool tray but don't like it for a double stand like this...with both bikes on there it's not ideal to reach for.

Also there's the hell that is the top drawer of the box that spurred this little project:

View attachment 176738

So off to Harbor Freight for some more pegboard hooks and a decent idea of what I wanted to do thanks to the inspiration of Park Tool. I liked the idea of organizing the bike specific tools in order of front to back of where you'd use it. I.e. headset press near the front, BB tools in the middle, cassette tools in the back etc. And what I came up with:

View attachment 176740

View attachment 176741

(Starting to dislike that grey accessory thing, but it stays for now)

View attachment 176742

And as a result the top drawer is much more managable with a little organizer for the bleed kits:

View attachment 176743

I pulled my fiancee's BB last night to test it out and it felt more natural in the new configuration. At least accessing the T-handles and sockets was much better than before. This of course is forever a work in progress. There's also a chance we move in the next year so I'd get to start over and fix all the annoying parts of this workshop.

This reminds me that I need a work bench.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
1% here I guess Matt you're an old man don't flatter yourself lol.

Disappointed that we don't have a questionable paths hidden sub forum. Would love to hear more about what norm would smite you over.

Top Bottom