Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

I'm back in again. This was a life-altering thread for me last year.

I went from January through May without a single drink. I didn't feel a boost in energy, but I gained many days of not feeling lousy. I probably had 10 beers and one Manhattan for the rest of the year. Interestingly since June, even two beers made me feel like crap the next day, so maybe I was just used to feeling like crap. Don't like that feeling at all, so I'm back on the sober train.

Thanks to all who contribute to this thread.

I’ve gotten to the point where I genuinely don’t want to drink. The after effects are too much. I went from 2-4 big double ipas 4-5 nights a week, to maybe 1 beer a week, which i end up nursing and then dumping. Sleep and energy the next day is too important.

So I wouldn’t say I quit, I just have very little desire.

I did dry January last year and it was tough but really opened my eyes. I recommend anyone who is even debating it, to try it.

Had a little bit of withdrawal symptoms last night. Moody, and couldn't fall asleep.
OTOH, when i don't drink, it seems like 4-5 hours is enough if i don't do a workout (which i didn't)
Made it through, must have crushed a gallon of water - which isn't a bad thing.

2 in the books, and i'm feeling great again this morning!

Happy to be back for the second year. Like what those above me mentioned, the mental habits were the most surprising to me last time. Certain events would trigger the response to grab a beer and at first it was really tough to shake that automatic response.

Some research I've found and find to be true:

Habits are largely created by context which then the brain triggers an automated response.

Context: Cold Thursday night in January and the Devils game is on at 7:00.
Automated response: Plop ass on couch and have 2 beers

Ways to change habits
- Change context (don't turn on Devils game, watch on computer instead of sitting on couch, etc)
- Create friction (no beers in house, no cable TV for game, etc)
- Replace reward/response (swap beer with tea or sparkling water)

FWIW - dropping down and doing 20 pushups whenever your mind is in a rut usually is a pretty damn good fix too.

Apologies if I reiterated what's been said in this thread over the past year. Much luck to everyone joining and tremendous thanks to @cassinonorth for starting this thread. Truly one of the best on this site.

Mentioned the w1f3 is having knee surgery over in the loser thread - 6:00am this morning.
Hit the bed last night around 11:00 and woke up pre-alarm around 4:50 feeling great.
Enjoying this wonderful side effect.

3 in the books!
If feels different than last year when I just kinda jumped in and did it. Was actually looking forward to it this year.
It seems like it will lead to longer term changes this time.

Last edited:
Mentioned the w1f3 is having knee surgery over in the loser thread - 6:00am this morning.
Hit the bed last night around 11:00 and woke up pre-alarm around 4:50 feeling great.
Enjoying this wonderful side effect.

3 in the books!
If feels different than last year when I just kinda jumped in and did it. Was actually looking forward to it this year.
It seems like it will lead to longer term changes this time.
I technically didn't go completely dry until Sun, 1/2. There was a lone pint o' Guinness remaining in the fridge when we were clearing out the prohibited food for our 8wk plan. Drank it before noon. Nothing but water and black coffee since. Sleep has greatly improved, but then there's the cat.

Back
Top Bottom