snow tire check in thread

xc62701

this sounds like operator error, wtf where you doing 70 in a snow storm for? winter tires or no thats a recipe for disaster.

I think this demonstrates much of the problem is that people (at least around here) dont alter their driving to match the conditions, they assume that they can drive the same way all the time (and many of those people dont drive all that well to begin with)
Yes it was being younger and dumb. There was a little wetness on the road that turned into slush, and at that speed I was out of luck. It was totally my fault. I misjudged the situation and was very glad it wasn’t waaaay worse. It’s still better than the time I ran from the cops 6 mos after I got my license…

Over the Bars

Yes it was being younger and dumb. There was a little wetness on the road that turned into slush, and at that speed I was out of luck. It was totally my fault. I misjudged the situation and was very glad it wasn’t waaaay worse. It’s still better than the time I ran from the cops 6 mos after I got my license…
I thought running from the cops 6 months after you get your license was a right of passage that everyone did?

Over the Bars

What you all think of winter riding shoes? ;)

if i were in upstate NY, i'd run all-seasons, and carry chains/straps
We use chains on our rear wheel drive work vans. They will rattle your head off if your on cleared sections of road but they will get you anywhere you need to.

one piece crank

Unlike other things in life, accidents don't take two to tango, even if you're the best driver in the snow a sudden movement from another car can force you to make a move that results in a crash. At any time during one of the 3 days that snow tires are necessary in NJ.
That accident scenario was "two to tango" despite your best attempt.

I'm totally comfortable in any Winter driving situation, before you add other drivers. THAT is the biggest danger.

serviceguy

That accident scenario was "two to tango" despite your best attempt.

I'm totally comfortable in any Winter driving situation, before you add other drivers. THAT is the biggest danger.
What I meant by it doesn’t take two to tango was that not both parties involved deliberately need to be doing something wrong, I feel my attempt was rather successful actually. Unfortunately sometime you have to pay attention for other drivers as they don’t for themselves. And I do feel comfortable driving on snow myself, I actually like it a lot, but I’ll use all the technological advantages available to do it safely. I can’t even understand why this is an argument but again to each one his/her own.

Last edited:

1TrackMind

I just ordered all-weather… Firestone weather grips for my sienna. That van chews up tires way too fast for dedicated winter tires, and given the percentage I drive on dry roads to snowy roads, it seemed like a decent compromise. Even when I go to ADK/Vt, they clear them so well I never had a problem. We’ll see, if it works out I will swap my Passport’s tires out with a similar tire, the stock ones look sketchy. . I also keep a pair of auto-socks in the trunk of all my cars, I’ve never had to use them except to get other people unstuck, but it’s cheap peace mind.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What you all think of winter riding shoes? ;)
For real. I thought the wiper thread was going to go pear shaped, but it was still nice out.
This thread has potential for sure.

one piece crank

What I meant by it doesn’t take two to tango was that not both parties involved deliberately need to be doing something wrong, I feel my attempt was rather successful actually. Unfortunately sometime you have to pay attention for other drivers as they don’t for themselves. And I do feel comfortable driving on snow myself, I actually like it a lot, but I’ll use all the technological advantages available to do it safely. I can’t even understand why this is an argument but again to each one his/her own.
No, some drivers, simply by their presence, are a clear and present danger to others. This risk is magnified tenfold in bad weather.

Last edited:

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's

rlb

My Trashfinder is in need of tires. 5 and 4/32 as of yesterday.
Anyone using an all season tire with a snow rating.
Michelin crossclimate2
good year all weather

I already changed winter and summer on three of the families cars. I don't want to do that to mine.
I've had the Goodyear weatherready on 2 Outbacks so far. I love they way they handle wet weather and they did great in the little snow I've had them in. But to me, they shine in the rain. The current car has about 25k on them. I haven't measured tread lately but I think they're holding up well. We sold the other Outback with about the same mileage on them, so I can't report back on longevity and how they behave in the tail end of the life.

I've heard great things about the cross climates too. Some people complain about the directional tires and inability to do a side to side rotation.

Either way, both will be at the top of the list when I have to replace the OEMs on my Ascent. Pricing/current deals will likely be the deciding factor for me. I used the goodyear credit card to get a discount plus rebate on both sets.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Michelin crossclimate2
good year all weather

I already changed winter and summer on three of the families cars. I don't want to do that to mine.

cooper AT3 4s. (ok its an all terrain, but its worked pretty well for me)

serviceguy

Blizzaks are back on for the 4th year, plenty of thread on them. Is there any other concern to tire life other than wear? They seem fine, no wobbling or excessive noise and they did not seem to have affected mileage either (not in a major way at least) but I think I read somewhere you need to ditch your tires after that many years.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Michelin crossclimate2
good year all weather

I couldn't do the Michelin. Such a strange looking tire. Looks like an old paddle tire for desert running. I would do the Goodyear or a good AT. The 5 miles you drive to work won't make a difference in MPG

Top Bottom