Going Long and Hard.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
S-Works Stumpy EVO Build.

PSX_20211202_113725.jpg
This is a particularly cool bike for my current mindset.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This is a particularly cool bike for my current mindset.

The EVO has been a lot more popular than I thought they would be. Seems big until you pedal it around and realize how snappy it is. We have a white Pro model I try not to take home everyday.

bmtroublemaker

Id also love to be on an XL Epic Evo, Jim laughed at me when I asked when he could get one in for me. Just looked at the Specialized website, showing $17,500 for an s-works epic evo, is that right? Good lord

Steve Vai

Id also love to be on an XL Epic Evo, Jim laughed at me when I asked when he could get one in for me. Just looked at the Specialized website, showing $17,500 for an s-works epic evo, is that right? Good lord

13K!! I'm having the one in NYC brought to Summit. It's a Large, but it's also the 2020 which is a bargain at 10k :)

Steve Vai

Prices are just up a lot. Shipping is stupid expensive now. Labor went up because no one wants to work. Materials went up because there's no one to mine them. Economics or something.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The price charged for something has very little to do with the cost of making/shipping it.
it has everything to do with what someone will pay for it.

Steve Vai

Here's a few shots from our extra loop yesterday. Glad that George made the trip so we could Chatty Kathy aboot the ITI.

And thanks for everyone that came out, it was a good group and we stayed together a lot better than I expected. Sand isn't easy to ride.

PSX_20211204_150810.jpg

IMG_20211204_155922_245.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
Seriously, you should have overthought that one a little bit more…

so you would charge less than someone would pay?

These aren't commodities. They are selling every one they can make and ship.
There is competition to buy them - not competition to sell them.

The Kalmyk

The price charged for something has very little to do with the cost of making/shipping it.
it has everything to do with what someone will pay for it.
As it goes with bikes right now for sure.

In theory but not in practice. Cause if one industry can’t say that then all industry can’t say that.

Mahnken

In theory but not in practice. Cause if one industry can’t say that then all industry can’t say that.
I don't know, I'd say that is probably across all industries. They all ask the same two questions: How much will people pay for it? And how little can we spend making and getting it to them? It's half the equation for everyone with a product to sell, lol.

The Kalmyk

I don't know, I'd say that is probably across all industries. They all ask the same two questions: How much will people pay for it? And how little can we spend making and getting it to them? It's half the equation for everyone with a product to sell, lol.

Knowing we dont know all industries, its an easy stance for me to take😁😉. Simple as that👍🏻

Patrick

Staff member

sure - the second question has ramifications on the first - "how much does it cost to incrementally make the next thing?"
Is there a discount for buying raw materials in bulk that justify moving the pricing curve.
I wasn't really thinking one item when i stated that.
price/demand/cost (including holding) curves yo.

Then responding to competition.

There is also a cost to maintaining a certain service level - Spence, your industry has spoilage as part of your cost.
JIT is a slippery slope, cause running out of something is a disaster. Everything should be optimized right down to the size of the freezer.

They charge $5 for a bottle of water at a pro baseball game. captive audience.
what are the risks? Someone has heat stroke cause they won't pay that.
I'm sure it is in the equation when they do the pricing.

I can overthink this one all day!
I'm maximizing my profit, and that comes down to what people will pay.

The Kalmyk

sure - the second question has ramifications on the first - "how much does it cost to incrementally make the next thing?"
Is there a discount for buying raw materials in bulk that justify moving the pricing curve.
I wasn't really thinking one item when i stated that.
price/demand/cost (including holding) curves yo.

Then responding to competition.

There is also a cost to maintaining a certain service level - Spence, your industry has spoilage as part of your cost.
JIT is a slippery slope, cause running out of something is a disaster. Everything should be optimized right down to the size of the freezer.

They charge $5 for a bottle of water at a pro baseball game. captive audience.
what are the risks? Someone has heat stroke cause they won't pay that.
I'm sure it is in the equation when they do the pricing.

I can overthink this one all day!
I'm maximizing my profit, and that comes down to what people will pay.

What dictates a consumers willingness? Free will doesnt exist😛😛

Last edited:

Pampa

If and when you do get that Epic Evo in stock give me a shout, I'm looking for something downcountry ish for next year.
I have one that I bought exactly for that, and is excellent! Much more capable downhill that what the slim frame suggests. Replaced a Niner RKT; excellent bike as well going up (even better), in "plain" XC, but the difference going down on the Epic Evo is night and day.

Top Bottom