Things that make you smile :)

rick81721

Lothar
Jeopardy fans - this has been an amazing season of champions. First, Grad student Matt Amodio kicked ass for 38 straight, then Jon Fisher (looked like a young John Reilly) won more than 10. Now Amy Schneider is tearing it up and looks possibly stronger than Amodio - wow!

MMuller

Nothing happens in our house between 7 and 730. Loyal Jeopardy fan for years. No one like Alex but this guy now is doing a wonderful job.

rick81721

Lothar
I worked with a couple of champions. They said the entry test is not easy. The range of topics is pretty extensive.

I've taken it several times. It's all about breadth of useless knowledge. I'm a pretty good bar trivia player but when I hit jeopardy categories like Shakespeare, plays/musicals, opera and literature - I'm sunk.

JerseyPete

I've taken it several times. It's all about breadth of useless knowledge. I'm a pretty good bar trivia player but when I hit jeopardy categories like Shakespeare, plays/musicals, opera and literature - I'm sunk.
And some of it is strategy involving the dollar amounts wagered and knowing what amounts are left to accumulate.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting. But if it's auto-immune I would assume the body would have to also stop producing anti-bodies that would destroy the islet cells. Maybe that's what the article behind the paywall says...

I wonder if that's effective if the islet cells are dead for so long that the body no longer tries to kill them off. So I wonder if this wouldn't work with someone who recently got T1 but had it for awhile.

Supposedly that's what LDN does with resetting the immune system, but that's not a typical usage and it's hard to tell if that actually works or not as there aren't real studies as nobody wants to fund it.

Not a scientist so I dunno. Lots of potential in other diseases if they can cure T1D

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe that's what the article behind the paywall says...
I googled "ny times type 1 diabetes cure" and was able to read the article...

Early stage trial, 17 volunteers, 5 year study. One cured, so far.
Maybe 10 years from now? Fingers crossed, for Trevor's sake.....

rick81721

Lothar
Interesting. But if it's auto-immune I would assume the body would have to also stop producing anti-bodies that would destroy the islet cells. Maybe that's what the article behind the paywall says...

I wonder if that's effective if the islet cells are dead for so long that the body no longer tries to kill them off. So I wonder if this wouldn't work with someone who recently got T1 but had it for awhile.

Supposedly that's what LDN does with resetting the immune system, but that's not a typical usage and it's hard to tell if that actually works or not as there aren't real studies as nobody wants to fund it.

Not a scientist so I dunno. Lots of potential in other diseases if they can cure T1D

I couldn't read it either but found a similar article on Nature. Apparently, it's pretty easy to replace the beta cells that produce insulin - the trick is protecting them from the recipient's immune system. There are several technologies in progress:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01842-x

Captain Brainstorm

Diabetes 1 is T-Cell mediated due to naive T-Cells escaping the thymus during T-Cell differentiation. Antibodies are one piece of bigger response. Once islet antigens are back, the T-cells will be there waiting.

I couldn't read it either but found a similar article on Nature. Apparently, it's pretty easy to replace the beta cells that produce insulin - the trick is protecting them from the recipient's immune system. There are several technologies in progress:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01842-x
You don't necessarily need beta cells to produce insulin. The human genome is mapped, that's why we can produce hormones like HgH recombinantly instead of harvesting from cadavers. All you need to do is what some of the top cycling pros in the EU do, isolate the sequence for HgH from your own genome, put it in something like an adenovirus vector, inject it back into yourself, and whichever cell in your body gets infected will start producing HgH until the gene is spliced out during subsequent rounds of replication. They experimented with the exact same technique using insulin years ago, except the adenovirus vector was issue. Then there's CRISPR technology where you find the defective gene(s) that give rise to T-cell escape and replace those. We're years away from that but its theoretically possible. There are also other technologies being developed to evade the immune system that don't rely on regimens of immuno-suppressive drugs.

Top Bottom