Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Just in case you wanted to see my 52cm Six13 leaned up against an XXL Zinn. My hoods are lower than the fork crown. We put 200mm cranks on it.

20211102_130649.jpg

Steve Vai

Fatty McStretchy Balls is back on duty. Need to re-acclimate to pushing this thing around. Wattage always feels higher than it actually is for some reason. Today's 300 watt Commute was 273 watts, wonder if it's something to do with having 2 chains? Anywhoo.

PSX_20211115_194738.jpg

Screenshot_20211115-194617_Chrome.jpg

Spent part of the weekend squirreling away supplies for Alaska. Bought another stove because the 5 I already have aren't enough? Big fuel can. Mittens. Meals.

20211115_211746.jpg

Steve Vai

This bike is 🔥

PSX_20211118_173721.jpg

1 Fat Commute, 1 Gravel Commute, 1 Rest Day, 1 Fixed Commute...I guess tomorrow will be back to Fat?

Anywhoo. Aboot September, a new Chiro/trainer/PT/massage guy moved in next to the shop. He gave us free sessions for the month and then I signed up to go like every week after that. We worked on gaining reach on my right side being I have a 2 inch arm length difference. That was making me twist my neck to look straight and was putting a real whoopin' on my right trap. Like painful to ride kinda whoopin'. Through a ton of exercises and muscle work we pretty much have the kinks worked out for the most part.

I also bought one of those chair things so I can do more better core and increase mobility in my lower back. 5 days a week on that stupid thing but I feel like it's doing something because my abs hurt all the time.

20211117_084403.jpg

terrabike01

This bike is 🔥

View attachment 171242

1 Fat Commute, 1 Gravel Commute, 1 Rest Day, 1 Fixed Commute...I guess tomorrow will be back to Fat?

Anywhoo. Aboot September, a new Chiro/trainer/PT/massage guy moved in next to the shop. He gave us free sessions for the month and then I signed up to go like every week after that. We worked on gaining reach on my right side being I have a 2 inch arm length difference. That was making me twist my neck to look straight and was putting a real whoopin' on my right trap. Like painful to ride kinda whoopin'. Through a ton of exercises and muscle work we pretty much have the kinks worked out for the most part.

I also bought one of those chair things so I can do more better core and increase mobility in my lower back. 5 days a week on that stupid thing but I feel like it's doing something because my abs hurt all the time.

View attachment 171243
I gots one of those chairs as well. Worked wonders on my back and my flabs. Hang out and stretch out :thumbsup:

one piece crank

Fatty McStretchy Balls is back on duty. Need to re-acclimate to pushing this thing around. Wattage always feels higher than it actually is for some reason. Today's 300 watt Commute was 273 watts, wonder if it's something to do with having 2 chains? Anywhoo.

View attachment 171099

Spent part of the weekend squirreling away supplies for Alaska. Bought another stove because the 5 I already have aren't enough? Big fuel can. Mittens. Meals.

View attachment 171101
That stove is awesome in cold weather! I still use my 1st-gen XGK.

Steve Vai

Fatty McStretchy Balls loop out to Quickstop and back. Nice to start putting in Adventure miles. Tide was low enough on the way back to stay on the beach with minimal BB deep crossings.

IMG_20211120_152651_030.jpg

IMG_20211120_152651_081.jpg

IMG_20211120_152651_143.jpg

IMG_20211120_152651_165.jpg

IMG_20211120_152651_198.jpg

I ordered a second Fat Bike last week so I'll have a trail option in aboot a month, maybe. Surprisingly the Blackborrow fits on my Kuat rack though, I just use a couple extra straps to go around the wheels to make sure...

20211120_092205.jpg

Also, these sweet Outdoor Research Tundra Socks came in today. This is what I'm gonna wear in the Checkpoints I have to take my boots off for and in my Bivy if it's cold enough.
20211120_155255.jpg

I really only need a second pair of pants and my gear shopping is done. Big Agnes is sending me some snow anchors for the Bivy, which I probably won't ever be able to test until it's go time.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Also also. How easy is this to figure out what SS gearing to use? I usually run a 32x18 or 32x17 but apparently I like a 16. Also, I still haven't used the 50t which might lead me to do an experiment with a partial cassette circa my days of running Clown Shoes on my 170mm Fatback. Back then I took the cassette apart and ran 7 speeds with a spacer to gain clearance for the rear wheel. I can't use the 2 lowest gears on this bike because the chain runs the tire even with spacers and running the whole crank over to one side. I have an I9 Microspline FH Body and could possibly get an aftermarket 12 speed cassette. Or, I might be able to talk to someone to make firmware for the AXS to run something else. I'm running a custom firmware now so it might not be too hard.

Top Bottom