Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
There will be an ev tax to replace gas tax which goes towards fixing roads and whatever it gets linked to.

With all the tech, the ways to calculate it are endless.

Installing a charger in your house should increase the value of the house!

I'll got register it in vt eat shit libs

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How are you collecting gas tax on EV in NJ

it's coming - what choice is there?
How they do it will be interesting. Certainly could pay by state, by mile of road traveled.
or when charging.

new hummer is going to weigh 9,000lbs, and have 1,000hp. probably won't damage the roads any more than the 1800lb metro ;),
but i can't go over half the bridges out where i live.

pibbles

it's coming - what choice is there?
How they do it will be interesting. Certainly could pay by state, by mile of road traveled.
or when charging.

new hummer is going to weigh 9,000lbs, and have 1,000hp. probably won't damage the roads any more than the 1800lb metro ;),
but i can't go over half the bridges out where i live.
Nj will probably tack it on your registration.

Patrick

Staff member
Nj will probably tack it on your registration.

the thing i like about gas tax and tolls is that it charges the users - the heavy user do more damage, so they pay a higher share with gas tax.
and tolls are road specific - pay for the fast lane!

so when there are self driving cars, will priority as a subscription service be a thing?
Or maybe an on-demand option?

THATmanMANNY

How easily this M3P passes these others. Chalk it up to the driver but still impressive. The want is real to swap our RWD for a P model but it has to stay red Mrs says.

Patrick

Staff member
How easily this M3P passes these others. Chalk it up to the driver but still impressive. The want is real to swap our RWD for a P model but it has to stay red Mrs says.

235 kph max ?
And the operator induced oscillation was making me nauseous.

Over the Bars

The new hummer ev is pretty crazy with its crabwalk. My next vehicle purchase for the wife will be an EV. Waiting for ford to come out with a full ev explorer not just hybrid. I would expect them to make one within the next 2 years. I Need to offset the gas costs from my new incredibly non ev 7.3liter v8 toy 🤣 😂 20211102_132607~2.jpg

Over the Bars

It looks like it has been out for a while but I just heard about it while listening to a truck podcast - the Ford Eluminator crate EV motor:

I like my ICE's but this could be very interesting in a number of vehicles. I would do it in a VW Doka.
People were going nuts about that f100 that ford brought to Sema 2 weeks ago. Lots of people were up in arms that it was just the electric crate motor and that ford wasn't somehow bringing back a retro electric f100 into a current production model vehicle. That would be pretty sweet ride though

Reactions: don

don

People were going nuts about that f100 that ford brought to Sema 2 weeks ago. Lots of people were up in arms that it was just the electric crate motor and that ford wasn't somehow bringing back a retro electric f100 into a current production model vehicle. That would be pretty sweet ride though

But how on earth would Ford be able to do a retro F100? It would have to be like the new Bronco - some old styling cues but a modern vehicle. On the same podcast, someone from Shelby was talking about their single cab truck - https://www.shelby.com/Vehicles/Shelby-F-150-Super-Snake-Sport-2021. Not electric but it's a single cab SB hot rod truck like that F100 and is turn key and probably cheaper than a F100 electric build.

Speaking of Ford - I would have gone a Falcon Econoline as an old EV swap vehicle:

1963-Ford-Falcon-Econoline-Club-Wagon-2.JPG

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I saw a 60's Econoline broken down on the side of 95 in VA this weekend and said "That's what I'd expect driving an old Econoline far."

The Eluminator engine seems awesome but isn't it transverse mounted? I can swear I was reading that complaint on it and that it needs to come in a different housing. If it had a different housing it could basically sit where the transmission is in an older RWD vehicle.

You can take my clutch pedal from my cold dead foot, but if I was doing a project like a 60's econoline, going electric would be a definite consideration.

Reactions: don

don

I saw a 60's Econoline broken down on the side of 95 in VA this weekend and said "That's what I'd expect driving an old Econoline far."

The Eluminator engine seems awesome but isn't it transverse mounted? I can swear I was reading that complaint on it and that it needs to come in a different housing. If it had a different housing it could basically sit where the transmission is in an older RWD vehicle.

You can take my clutch pedal from my cold dead foot, but if I was doing a project like a 60's econoline, going electric would be a definite consideration.
haha - I'm sure you were thinking Fix Or Repair Daily but that is the case with many cars from that era.

It seems to me that a classic FC would be great for EV repower - tight and hot engine compartment but a bunch of room and a flat floor that should work well for battery storage. Not to mention giving them some real power would help out the driving experience a ton.

I didn't see how it mounts and assumed it was longitudinal like V8 repower but maybe they are aiming it for FWD vehicles?

The podcast also mentioned that Ford doesn't give the installer a battery option. The hosts thought it was Ford's way of saying they don't want to deal with it and the aftermarket could come up with a better solution anyway.

Overall, I think it's very interesting. I don't see ICE's going away especially for larger trucks, muscle cars and performance cars (and I would want a manual gearbox in all of them) but I can easily see a lot of EV's repower being used in quirky cars, cruisers/customs, auto trannys vehicles.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was criticizing the era of the vehicle, not the make/model. I'm not driving across country with a carburetor or points ignition... Although my thought with an Econoline those things are less accessible.

The Ford drivetrain is rear engine with an independant rear suspension, similar to a Tesla, with gear reduction built into it. So not ideal for shoving into a traditional engine bay. And if you want to put it in the rear you are now fabbing up a rear suspension.

No batteries is kind of nice. Batteries are expensive and if you can get old Nissan Leaf batteries or something it can be a nice cruiser built out. You don't need 300 mile range in a cruiser vehicle you take to car shows. Less weight, less fabrication fitting all the batteries.

Top Bottom