Gas powered bikes?

mfennell

Random newer-bike-stuff I had not considered until I had one: OBD2. I did not expect an OBD-compliant ECU. The cable format is different but nothing that $13 at Amazon won't fix. A scan tool specific to the ECU, Scan M5X, was on the Google play store. Setting it up with my Bluetooth OBD2 dongle took some fiddling but I got it eventually.

848-monitor.jpeg

It had some pending codes (a cam sensor, O2 heaters) that I cleared. Hoping they were just artifacts of an earlier dead battery. I also reset the service reminder so it would stop bugging me every time I turn the bike on.

The "race mufflers" on the bike were just completely gutted stockers. You could see right through them. I got some 500 mile take-offs for $150 delivered! The catalytic converters keep my ass warm and actual mufflers keep everyone else happy.

I was supposed to look at a non-running '13 848 Corse SE yesterday (same bike w/an aluminum tank, quickshift, traction control, bigger front brakes, and Ohlin$ shock) yesterday but the seller flaked. Maybe today. He claims the engine is good, it's just an electrical problem. Uh huh. Wife: "so, this is going to be like the bicycles?" "Ummmm..."

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I’m having issues with my around-town bike. My little Suzuki VanVan is starting to stall when I come to a stop light. I topped off the batte dry, but it was fine. Just started happening in the cold. I pushed the idle up (it’s fuel injected but there is an idle screw adjustment).

Anyone ever play with the oxygen adjustment on a fuel injector? I was going to take the bike apart a little further than I have and see if there is just junk collected in places. It only has ~3,500 miles.

jklett

Has it sat for any length of time? If so, I'd think the same as carbs and there might be a clog somewhere from the ethanol junk. Also,check the plug/plugs and see what they tell you.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Has it sat for any length of time? If so, I'd think the same as carbs and there might be a clog somewhere from the ethanol junk. Also,check the plug/plugs and see what they tell you.
It hasn’t sat insanely long. Two weeks at most.

Now I’m throwing an error. Idle is all over the place. Gonna try to get a code off it. Think my O2 sensor fried.

Something to be said for carbs.

mfennell

It hasn’t sat insanely long. Two weeks at most.

Now I’m throwing an error. Idle is all over the place. Gonna try to get a code off it. Think my O2 sensor fried.

Something to be said for carbs.
O2 sensor is an easy check. Disconnect and it will run open loop. It will throw an error but if it's affecting your idle, you'll know it.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Don't these things have a factory fuel filter?
Yeah it does. This is a weird one. Definitely EFI related. I don’t think it’s the fuel.

Here is what it was doing last night:

I found a way to get the codes to read off without going to the dealer. Just have to jam a paper clip in the diagnostic plug. I make a loop between slots 3 and 6, turn the key, and it will blink the code. Gonna do that this week.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
44 - O2 fault. I’m still a little concerned it comes back. Took it for a spin and everything seemed ok though. Might order a new sensor just to have it as back up.

this seems prudent - it is kinda weird that it acted funny because of the code, not because of the sensor?
unless it just gave up on reading the sensor when it thought it was getting bad info - which just seems to be bad engineering.

glad you are rolling smoothly

Top Bottom