What will the Post "covid bike shortage" market look like

The post covid bike market will

• Total voters

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Until demand goes down a lot, I don't see prices dropping back down anytime soon. Same goes for building materials for homes. Why would any company drop their prices if people are still willing to buy, mostly out of necessity at this point to finish projects that were started previously. New home prices went up by 10-15% or more.

Chris Nordt

With all this going on I'm glad I'm still riding my 90s vintage bikes lol.. While they have been updated with some newer components, parts in general are pretty easy to come by considering 26ers with hub brakes aren't all that popular anymore haha

Reactions: don

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
That's still the going rate in many, many places for IT helpdesk. It's pretty terrible starting out in IT. The amount of recruiters I've had call me for a "systems administrator" role in NJ paying $50k is absurd. I now start out any call with that discussion.

I pissed off a company with that question, if they don't want that question please put it in your job posting. I don't want to go through 6 fucking interviews just to call you a cheap bastard

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's still the going rate in many, many places for IT helpdesk. It's pretty terrible starting out in IT. The amount of recruiters I've had call me for a "systems administrator" role in NJ paying $50k is absurd. I now start out any call with that discussion.
1628090602525.png

1628090634862.png

1628090650651.png

goldsbar

We have a new restaurant down the street that had to delay their opening because they couldn't hire people. They were offering $25/hour for dish washers and nobody wanted the job.
It used to be kids like me filling those jobs. I was very happy at the time making $5/hr off the books ($8.66 in 2021 $s). Seems like kids don't do any of these crap jobs anymore.

I'm sure this will all end well /s

ekuhn

Yeah, it's been years since kids came around offering to shovel our driveway too. My dad paid me $2/hour when I started working for him, though he didn't really give me a choice.
Your father hiring? Would be an increase from my Father who started me at $1.00 and lunch. Lunch always had to be provided.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
It used to be kids like me filling those jobs. I was very happy at the time making $5/hr off the books ($8.66 in 2021 $s). Seems like kids don't do any of these crap jobs anymore.

Can't really blame them when they're just following directions

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your father hiring? Would be an increase from my Father who started me at $1.00 and lunch. Lunch always had to be provided.

Lol, he's semi retired and just does small jobs now. I remember being a whiny kid at some point complaining that he started me at $2/hour, and these two spacklers that my dad worked with said their dad started them at $0.50/hour.

Cassinonorth

I didn't raise any little shits, does that mean I can still complain about them? I'm also not complaining, just commenting. The lazier millennials are, the better it is for me and my future job prospects.

Millennials are like 25-40 years old right now. The "kids" you're complaining about not shoveling your driveway are not millennials, hate to break it to ya.

I shoveled hundreds of driveways when I was a teenager and worked on a golf course under the table from 14-16 for $8/hour cash. Stereotypes are fun though.

JDurk

That was me during the college years and 2yrs after, before I started my career. During the summer, 8 of us would get a 2 bedroom rental apt in Sea Isle City and work doing whatever. Garbage collection, cooking, bus boy, arcade, liquor store, beach badge checker, etc. I cooked at 2 different restaurants 6 days a week. Now restaurants can't get help because all the rental properties are mini mansion duplexes and nobody can afford to live down there who would do those jobs. The kids who's parents own those houses won't make them work. Add in the fact that a good portion of those jobs were eventually filled with foreign exchange students and other immigrants, but they can't get into the country currently.

Maybe I should quit this engineering job and go back to SIC.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Millennials are like 25-40 years old right now. The "kids" you're complaining about not shoveling your driveway are not millennials, hate to break it to ya.

I shoveled hundreds of driveways when I was a teenager and worked on a golf course under the table from 14-16 for $8/hour cash. Stereotypes are fun though.

heres a fun one, which i have seen too many different answers to, but since most agree that generations are defined by a certain 'trait' which applies to everyone within, and not by discreet year ranges

what is that trait for Millennials?

Cassinonorth

TIL: I'm a millennial. Fuck.

What are people that are 15-25 called then? Whatever it is, they are even worse than millennials.

Zoomers/Gen-Z

heres a fun one, which i have seen too many different answers to, but since most agree that generations are defined by a certain 'trait' which applies to everyone within, and not by discreet year ranges

what is that trait for Millennials?

Industry Killers or Avacado toast eaters?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
That ferry I took out of LA harbor went through a line of container ships out as far as I could see. The cranes were all humping. Trains were coming and going.

And this is just one port!

Backlog?

Top Bottom