Where to watch Olympic cycling

all_mt_clyde

Does anyone know if the MTB races will be televised and which channel? They’re at 2am so could record a bunch of both NBC channels-would prefer not. Been looking around can’t find anything that says ‘this channelI’ definitively. Thanks

Kaleidopete

I got to watch some this morning as a guest, I guess you have to pay a cable comp. to get full service.
It was quite good, I was surprised to see they had ride arounds, you could either take the straight line off the jump, or ride around.
Looks like they don't use dropper posts. And they stand up going off jumps!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like they don't use dropper posts.
If you watch the UCI World Cup races on Red Bull, a lot of them do use dropper post, however it looks like this course did not deem one one necessary.
My pick to win gold:
9F340D76-DC0A-4CBC-8988-ED887E2C6B0F.jpeg

Maybe he should have used a dropper? Lol.

He actually said he thought a bridge which was there in practice would be there in the race? Seems like an unlikely mistake for a world champion caliber rider to make but 🤷‍♂️.

side note/ rant

The Dutch cycling teams have been full of excuses in the Olympic cycling events. Anna van der Breggen was a clear favorite to win, but she lost to an amateur from Austria! LoL. The list of her excuses was long. Most surprising to me was that they blamed (among other things) no race radios. It’s not like this should have been a surprise. It wasn’t a last minute change to not allow race radios. I’m not sure why they even bring that up. Then most of the women from the favorites didn’t even congratulate the winner because they were too busy being mad. That’s disappointing no show of class IMO.

I’d love to see them remove race radios from the grand tours. At the very least, limit the communications to the race directors to warn about any safety hazards or crashes. I think it spice things up a bit and remove the advantages that the big and financially superior teams enjoy. But this is an old AF argument and it’s already boring to discuss.

And finally, the Olympics shows it’s still so far behind the times with a womens field that is half size of the mens field. They already said Paris in 2024 will be equal sized fields, but that doesn’t excuse this. It’s still a corrupt, good old boys club.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Just watched the men's mountain bike. Impressive ride by the winner (seems like there shouldn't be an issue with spoilers here, but I'll play it safe), but the coverage pretty well sucked. They clearly edited down the broadcast for time, which I understand, but it seemed like they missed most of the critical points of the race and gave no explanation for the missing pieces of the race or anything that had happened in the segments that they didn't show. I watched the men's triathlon yesterday and also found it hard to follow. Minimal graphics about who was in what group, what the time gaps were, how many laps, how far to go etc. Really not that hard to get these things right.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
If you watch the UCI World Cup races on Red Bull, a lot of them do use dropper post, however it looks like this course did not deem one one necessary.
My pick to win gold:
View attachment 163607

Maybe he should have used a dropper? Lol.

He actually said he thought a bridge which was there in practice would be there in the race? Seems like an unlikely mistake for a world champion caliber rider to make but 🤷‍♂️.

side note/ rant

The Dutch cycling teams have been full of excuses in the Olympic cycling events. Anna van der Breggen was a clear favorite to win, but she lost to an amateur from Austria! LoL. The list of her excuses was long. Most surprising to me was that they blamed (among other things) no race radios. It’s not like this should have been a surprise. It wasn’t a last minute change to not allow race radios. I’m not sure why they even bring that up. Then most of the women from the favorites didn’t even congratulate the winner because they were too busy being mad. That’s disappointing no show of class IMO.

I’d love to see them remove race radios from the grand tours. At the very least, limit the communications to the race directors to warn about any safety hazards or crashes. I think it spice things up a bit and remove the advantages that the big and financially superior teams enjoy. But this is an old AF argument and it’s already boring to discuss.

And finally, the Olympics shows it’s still so far behind the times with a womens field that is half size of the mens field. They already said Paris in 2024 will be equal sized fields, but that doesn’t excuse this. It’s still a corrupt, good old boys club.
1627314653702.png

@Juggernaut can comment but UCI tried no race radios in a few races a couple years ago, maybe it was a few stages in the Giro?

Also, pro races used to have the motos showing the gaps to the riders, is that used in all races?

Last edited:

Ian F

Just watched the men's mountain bike. Impressive ride by the winner (seems like there shouldn't be an issue with spoilers here, but I'll play it safe), but the coverage pretty well sucked. They clearly edited down the broadcast for time, which I understand, but it seemed like they missed most of the critical points of the race and gave no explanation for the missing pieces of the race or anything that had happened in the segments that they didn't show. I watched the men's triathlon yesterday and also found it hard to follow. Minimal graphics about who was in what group, what the time gaps were, how many laps, how far to go etc. Really not that hard to get these things right.
My WAG is when developing TV coverage for so many events, decisions were made regarding which events got deep coverage and which ones didn't. I think the Tokyo organizers did their best to design a course optimized for coverage, but I'm sure it was still larger than the coverage budget allowed.

It's like comparing the Redbull coverage for Hardline to their normal UCI DH coverage. Apples and oranges. Hardline is a made for TV event. The limited number of riders allows for complete runs from start to finish before the next rider is sent down. The UCI events with overlapping start times limit how much of the course can effectively be covered. Folks complained about the road gap not getting a camera at the last race, but it was so close to the start line, other riders were on course and finishing when it was getting hit. They already have to edit in the taped coverage of each rider's start and the road gap was probably too much to get in for the allotted times for each rider.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Yeah, they “claimed” they reinstated for, get this, “Rider Safety”. HA! Wait, I think I just heard another TDF course induced crash… I hate race radios. I hate scripted team tactics but most of all I hate the Continental BloodSuckers (UCI/IOC/ASO…) the truth is the larger (richer) teams threw a hissy fit and threatened not to send their top riders and the duplicitous POS’s capitulated and gave back the radios, what like 4-5 years ago now.

Anna Kiesenhofer’s my hero for sticking it to them!

oh, to be fair, NBC’s coverage is universally awful. I can’t tell you how happy I am that I no longer have to watch their hockey coverage. I’m amazed I have any TV’s left.

robmaurizi

I watched the streamed replay of the race and it seemed to contain the entire thing.

one piece crank

There are like 4-5 Channels running Olympic coverage on our cable feed (Service Electric Cable, Western NJ), and they each show different events in the same time blocks. I have not yet checled the online options I posted above, but I will try them tonight.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
I pay for YouTube tv as my TV service and I have zero idea how to find this. I just see it on USA from 2:30-4 AM.
Under Home I can filter on Olympic cycling . I can choose bmx and mountain biking to my library

Top Bottom