New to the dirt

Bikeworks

Hi all! Roadie here giving the MTB thing a shot. I tried this once before and it didn't take, but I felt a need to try again back in October, so here I am. I'm in Staten Island, not much to choose from here (officially), so as I slowly progress I have been hitting NJ trails. My current stable is an Epic HT and an Enduro. The HT gets the bulk of the work as I feel it is forcing better habits. That said, I've already had some pretty good crashes (once even practicing lol). Still, I am progressing. In addition to reading through stuff here and on MTBR, I've been watching videos by Jeff Lenosky and Joy of Bike (among others, but those are faves).

Anyway, that's me, hope to start seeing some of you out there!

-Tom

iman29

welcome. I grew up in Staten Island but been in NW NJ for the last 20 years. Lots of great trails around this area not too far off 287 or route 80.

check the boards on here for future group rides. I am also a roadie faking to be a MTB rider on here ;-)

f.i.t.nj

Welcome Tom.

Hartshourne is just a quick shot down the GSP south (not on a weekend beach day lol) if you want to get onto less rocky terrain that will cater to your roady endurance skills a bit more at first.

Happy to help you get acclimated

Steve

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome. Have fun, ride at your own pace, you'll get better over time.

Post up, make friends, enjoy trails together.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Welcome @Bikeworks. Some of the fastest mountain bikers I know also happen to ride road. There is obviously that learning curve for rocks, roots, drops and features but I assume you have the cardio and should help with climbing.

Last edited:

Bikeworks

Thank you all for the welcome!!! I am definitely trying to take advantage of my road fitness and incorporate it a bit into the MTB part, but yea the learning curve is real! Hope to see you out there soon, I will definitely follow the ride announcements and try to meet up!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hi Patrick,

Mostly the local trails here in Staten Island. I have made it out to Tourne, 6MR, and Wildcat Ridge.

Tourne is a nice step up from six mile.
Did you have a tour guide for wildcat? Can get chunky rather quickly.

Try out Chimney Rock/Washington valley Park as a step up from the tourne. I'd be glad to show you a couple loops.

Bikeworks

Tourne is a nice step up from six mile.
Did you have a tour guide for wildcat? Can get chunky rather quickly.

Try out Chimney Rock/Washington valley Park as a step up from the tourne. I'd be glad to show you a couple loops.
I did Tourne before 6MR, was definitely chunkier than expected but I was ok. 6MR wasn't bad at all for me. The ride at Wildcat was a first for the group I was with, but a regular was at the parking lot (Bat Cave) and did like a 9 mile loop with us. I didn't enjoy it too much because It was way to chunky for me, especially on the HT. Rooty stuff would've been ok for me I guess.

Next on my list are Allaire, Hartshorne, Cunningham in Queens and Chimney Rock. Naturally I want to do Tourne and 6MR a few more times too. Thanks for the offer, I will definitely take you up on it!!!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did Tourne before 6MR, was definitely chunkier than expected but I was ok. 6MR wasn't bad at all for me. The ride at Wildcat was a first for the group I was with, but a regular was at the parking lot (Bat Cave) and did like a 9 mile loop with us. I didn't enjoy it too much because It was way to chunky for me, especially on the HT. Rooty stuff would've been ok for me I guess.

Next on my list are Allaire, Hartshorne, Cunningham in Queens and Chimney Rock. Naturally I want to do Tourne and 6MR a few more times too. Thanks for the offer, I will definitely take you up on it!!!

was your regular at wildcat on a orange fatbike?

Top Bottom