Warning : Tourne is closed for bear hunting

Mtbdog

We saw it on Saturday. Looked like a young bear, was docile to us. One look in our direction and it just continued up the hill. There were a ton of hikers that saw it and mentioned it to us before we saw it. I hope when you mean hunt you don't mean kill. That would be a bummer because some of the people we told of it seemed interested in seeing it. Do they shoot the supposed nuisance bears or relocate?

Berms&Boofs

We saw it on Saturday. Looked like a young bear, was docile to us. One look in our direction and it just continued up the hill. There were a ton of hikers that saw it and mentioned it to us before we saw it. I hope when you mean hunt you don't mean kill. That would be a bummer because some of the people we told of it seemed interested in seeing it. Do they shoot the supposed nuisance bears or relocate?
I also encountered the bear last week and it was not aggressive. Unfortunately, the hunters and police were not considering the option to relocate the bear due to an aggressive report by a hiker. I really hope it did not come to this due to an exaggerated report.

GTCHAMPION1

I also encountered the bear last week and it was not aggressive. Unfortunately, the hunters and police were not considering the option to relocate the bear due to an aggressive report by a hiker. I really hope it did not come to this due to an exaggerated report.
But hikers report aggression when they encounter any mountain bikers too 😕 ... seriously some people will say that the bear was aggressive just because probably the bear had to stop to see the surroundings

kerribeth

This email was sent out by Amy Lutsko this morning:

On Sunday there was an interaction at the Tourne County Park between a pair of hikers and a black bear. The hikers came away safe but the bear came within a few feet of the hikers/two dogs, on two occasions and charged the hikers. NJ Fish and Wildlife was contacted by Park Police and met on site with NJF&W Supervising Biologist yesterday. A trap has been set up and will be checked twice per day and it was recommended that the park be closed for 7 days or until the bear is captured. At this time we will be closing the park on a day to day basis. Please check our website or contact me directly before heading out to the park.

goldsbar

Two leashed or loose dogs prowling around I wonder. One of Bill Bryson's books - maybe the one on hiking the AT - covered this topic. Black bears used to be really aggressive, but have changed over the years (i.e. the aggressive ones were shot) to become more docile to humans.

Over the Bars

Maybe lord Murphy shouldn't have shut down the yearly bear hunt on public land... I see bears weekly sometimes even more often than that the population is getting out of control and will continue to get grow . they are wayyy more scared of people then people are of them most of the time and I bet the hikers far exxagerated this story. But expect way more of this to come once they start getting more densily populated into areas that people are not use to seeing them and living with them.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
went to the tourne this am was pretty uneventful, here is some gopro footage

SpiffyCourageousBlackpanther-max-1mb.gif

GTCHAMPION1

Maybe lord Murphy shouldn't have shut down the yearly bear hunt on public land... I see bears weekly sometimes even more often than that the population is getting out of control and will continue to get grow . they are wayyy more scared of people then people are of them most of the time and I bet the hikers far exxagerated this story. But expect way more of this to come once they start getting more densily populated into areas that people are not use to seeing them and living with them.
People were bitching about bear hunting, now people are bitching about bears on the trails

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you go hiking in NJ and throw a fit because you saw a bear then you shouldn’t be hiking. There are animals in the woods. These are their woods. We are the visitors. These are the risks you take being in the woods. This really angers me.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions