What Bird Did You See Today?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Eagles doing eagle things.

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG

Or if you are that web cam mounted up there to the right...

Apparently my neighbor went up there to help band the eaglets.

Edit: he was on the ground.

Last edited:

iman29

Ok the quadruplets are here. The rest hatched overnight

Interesting how the front door camera randomly catches mom and dad alternating feedings. Glad she still feels safe and they all hatched despite the busy foot traffic at the front door.

7C59D5F9-32FA-4922-9D91-679054B1E7C0.png

iman29

So not sure what happened last week but as of Tuesday night we saw momma bird sitting on the nest and the front door camera shows her flying back and forth feeding them too.

The last picture I took was Monday morning and they barely had any feathers. Sometime between Wednesday and Thursday they are all gone.

Doesn’t seem like it was anywhere near where they could have flown away and I didn’t find any traces of any kind of predator stealing them from the nest. Any other kind of major movement would have been picked up by the front door camera since it even catches squirrels walking by.

Totally stumped and a little sad they are gone wife wanted to see them all fuzzy with baby feathers. Oh well that’s nature I guess.

0B3AE311-D447-494A-872F-A2B953393ECC.jpeg
B65E4032-310C-4695-A4A2-C3EA147B559F.jpeg
CB81D1DD-D1C2-41CA-BA9F-3BCFD8E42CDD.jpeg

ekuhn

Maybe mom built a new nest after you moved hers. She was just temp housing them until the new digs were ready. They can’t be far...

ekuhn

I haven't been riding the road lately so I haven't checked on my local eagle nest.

I did find this today!!!! (we've been streaming the Duke Farms nest since February).

I check in on this every few days, really cool to watch the progression. Mama is a tough bird.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I haven't been riding the road lately so I haven't checked on my local eagle nest.

I did find this today!!!! (we've been streaming the Duke Farms nest since February).

They did a really nice job preserving this nest, and setting up the cam with the tower replacement.

1622646034393.png

iman29

Maybe mom built a new nest after you moved hers. She was just temp housing them until the new digs were ready. They can’t be far...

According to google search the mom birds can’t/don’t move the babies so it’s more likely another type of bird snatched them. And somehow the camera didn’t capture it.

The whole wreath/nest was moved even before she laid the eggs and after I moved it we watched her build it up to get it ready. I was worried moving it would scare her off but it didn’t since she laid the eggs after that and they all hatched.

Oh well one of nature’s mysteries.

Mahnken

Let the dog out and noticed him growling at something. Glad he didn't try and bite them. I meant to keep an eye on them after bringing the dog back inside, but the kids sidetracked me for a while. Went looking for them an hour later and couldn't find them.
PXL_20210531_112827000.jpg
PXL_20210531_112900875.PORTRAIT.jpg

serviceguy

According to google search the mom birds can’t/don’t move the babies so it’s more likely another type of bird snatched them. And somehow the camera didn’t capture it.

The whole wreath/nest was moved even before she laid the eggs and after I moved it we watched her build it up to get it ready. I was worried moving it would scare her off but it didn’t since she laid the eggs after that and they all hatched.

Oh well one of nature’s mysteries.
Blue Jays will do that, both eggs and nestlings.

Mahnken

Got some eggs in mine. Nest is in the corner of the gazebo roof. Better than last year when the mourning doves made a nest nest above the fan in the middle of the gazebo. Took down the fan this year so they wouldn't do it again. At least the robins are kinda out of the way. My 4 year old is excited to see the bird babies.
View attachment 156723
When we came back from vacation a few weeks ago, this nest was half knocked down and there were no birds or eggs to be found. I left the best there just in case.

Then last week I started seeing the Robin using the best again, and this morning found more eggs.
PXL_20210605_123450797.jpg

Top Bottom