Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So Lou shun

How'd I do @thegock ?

5B7DF7A0-32EC-4510-8692-6A105EE9F362.jpeg

JDurk

Karate Monkey

Serviced the rear hub--cleaned out old grease from the freehub mechanism, clean/reassemble, lube. Axle bearings okay, so I left them for the next round, but shot a bit of grease in the left side, since it looked a bit thin.

I wound up replacing the AER bearing that I put in the top of the headset on the mountain bike. It turns out that the creaking I had been chasing was unrelated, BUT, I felt like on a FS bike, the top bearing was likely to be stressed more than on a rigid bike. Nothing scientific, mind, but I pulled it out (noted it was fine, incidentally), and set it aside for a different build. I scootched the preload collar on the coilover a bit more, and the knocking sound went away. I think I have a 600 on there now, and the ride height is right with the spring just barely preloaded.

Cleaned up both brake calipers, addressed the fluid issue in rear brake (never de-gassed mineral oil before bleeding before, but I'm going to now), and wound up replacing the front pads with a pair of non-finned pads, since they were down to ~.75mm of pad material...and the reservoir was having problems compensating for wear.

Luckily I have 2 pairs of non-finned pads for the winter, and another pair of resin pads (but don't really want to use those unless I have to). I expect to have to wait a few months to get my brake pads :rolleyes:

Ian F

GX AXS kit #2 installed on the Chameleon. Also went on without a hitch, although I did have to open the manual again to remember how to pair the shifter to the derailleur. The B-screw needed more adjustment on the Chameleon than it did on the Megatower. Weight without pedals: 29 lbs. 13 oz. Helm 1 fork (130mm travel), Deore 170mm cranks, 12 spd XT cassette, Industry 9 Backcountry 450 27.5 wheels, Nobby Nic 2.8 tires, XT 4-piston brakes, Manitou Jack 150mm dropper post, Flite saddle, Pro Taper 35mm x 770 mm carbon bars, Pro Taper 50mm stem, Intense rib grips. Hopefully I can get it on dirt during the week. I'll get a picture when it stops raining...

Ian F

In the middle of a rather stressful work meeting, I received a text message from @jdog "this the post you want?"
Indeed it is.
So after the meeting ended and I gathered my shattered nerves, I called Jason to verify it was in and I headed up to get it.
Home, dinner, and out with the old Manitou Jack 150mm post. Before extracting the cable housing, I put the saddle on the new post, set the seat height and let all of the air out of the shock on the MegaTower to make sure the rear tire wouldn't hit the battery at full compression - almost an inch of clearance. Nice. Installed the controller, paired it to the post, and done.

PXL_20210512_000334600.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Swapped the old 500% X01 derailleur for a new 520% X01. Even though it worked with the 52T cassette, the shifting was never crisp. I bent the hanger, which completely threw the derailleur off so it was time to upgrade.

View attachment 157576
I gotta say, this sounds like my logic!

Did you straighten the hanger?

JonF

Bought a set of XC wheels built with DT 240 EXP hubs. Found out that the new EXP hubs have a recall for a slipping engagement issue. Sent rear wheel in for service and they comp'd me an upgrade to 54t ratchets free of charge! Downside was no bike for 2 weeks during prime spring weather.

Cassinonorth

Dealt with a too Enduro tire setup and a too xc setup on the other wheelset so I changed it up. Also finally got the 2nd cushcore installed.

PXL_20210521_000101918.jpg

Stan's Flow CB7

Rear: Maxxis Rekon 29x2.4 (Cushcore)
Front: Maxxis DHR2 29X2.4

Roval Control

Rear: Specialized Fast Track 29x2.3 (Cushcore)
Front: Maxxis DHF 29X2.5

should be 2 solid all round options for everything I ride around NJ swapping options. Weight of the bike with the CB7's on them was 30.5 lbs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom