What are you cooking right now?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Practicing both free-form loaves, and working with sourdough. First loaf was too manhandled, and did not have much in the way of 'artisan' crumb.

Loaf was handled minimally once the proofing/dividing was done (I think it had maybe 4-5 prods during the folding to get it to sit nicely. Need to get some polypropylene proofing tubs so I can use less oil--it's soaking into the flour on my board and rendering the shaping a nightmare). Success level: 90%. Forgot to turn convection on, didn't go quiiiite long enough, and sprayed a little too much water on top, so crust was a bit soft:

ACtC-3c-3ZbHgxcZ8h0ONmtmxWzaaYqQVKlgwUoah4SwHzljIMD4RoolFYeO5CjQvm6g9tuxIrCEyiyg3p9pdviHT-oVxraXMp98aKhC0vhXLjaEu1TnQ9CNiS3sYvIXc9jNdAWU-x4SmGetJVusLuC0GYIf=w1300-h976-no
Okay, proofing just came up in dinner convo (Mrs Manic been watching the Great British Bake-off)
I could google it, but rather hear it from you- WTF is proofing?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Posted this before, but this is a variation- sheet pan feta.
So if the store doesn’t have broccolini, or you don’t check the recipe when making the shopping list (ahem Mrs Manic), there’s a lot of room to beebop and scat with this. It’s very forgiving.

Tonight was asparageese, and garlic and shallot instead of red onion. I added some linguanica, because sausage. Over orzo, touched up with lemon juice tableside.
Tray one of two pictured.
743B0302-3A66-4C19-B3FB-C8A333D32507.jpeg

Hers
79F4838B-4F5C-49D8-A053-61CF5C2B15F9.jpeg

His
8F5AB5DD-231C-40D4-91F4-AFF1E50523F7.jpeg

Karate Monkey

Okay, proofing just came up in dinner convo (Mrs Manic been watching the Great British Bake-off)
I could google it, but rather hear it from you- WTF is proofing?

Proofing is a period of time where you are encouraging yeast growth--allowing the dough to increase in volume, then releasing some CO2 (growth inhibitor) by folding/punching down, and repeating it 1-2 times--the more yeast, the more the bread springs/fluffier it is.

Of course, the problem with sourdough is that rising takes a long time, since there's only so much in the starter, and you need to propagate it somewhat before mixing the dough, THEN it needs to propagate more. You either wait a long time before mixing the dough together, or you wait a long time after.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Proofing is a period of time where you are encouraging yeast growth--allowing the dough to increase in volume, then releasing some CO2 (growth inhibitor) by folding/punching down, and repeating it 1-2 times--the more yeast, the more the bread springs/fluffier it is.

Of course, the problem with sourdough is that rising takes a long time, since there's only so much in the starter, and you need to propagate it somewhat before mixing the dough, THEN it needs to propagate more. You either wait a long time before mixing the dough together, or you wait a long time after.
Our air fryer has a proofing setting. Had to google that one.

Karate Monkey

Tomahawks at 600F
finished on the gas grill

View attachment 157375

View attachment 157376

It Tomahawk time. We only have two, but they're ~3.25 pounds each.

Mothers day pivot:

PXL_20210509_231202453.jpg

Started a pre-ferment last night, and inspiration struck on the way home after seeing fancy focaccia on the Instant Grahams. Re-tooled the recipe to suit the pre-ferment that I already had going (already had too much water for the proportions), and mixed it up. Yellow bell pepper, shallots, asparagus, chives, cherry tomatoes, rosemary, and basil. Coulda had more oil on the top.

Crumb shot:

PXL_20210509_235259025.jpg

GTCHAMPION1

I think I have perfected NY Strips on the Skillet... Juicy well done - done right lol, I had to go to overtime per side on this massive strips, meat was seasoned only with Andenian Salt Flakes and rainbow cracked pepper corns... Now the fat side of the steak was seasoned with garlic powder, lots of smoked paprika, thyme, onion powder, black pepper ground, borsari cracked pepper, started cooking on the fat side for 5 minutes untill crusty, and finished cooking on the fat side for an extra minute while bathing the steak with the oil from the Skillet ... thoughts? ¿🤔? Critiques??? Anyone? ...lol the taste was amazing!!! 🙃IMG_20210511_180111977.jpgIMG_20210511_181633243.jpgIMG_20210511_183440075.jpgIMG_20210511_183718174.jpgIMG_20210511_183828535.jpgIMG_20210511_184108576.jpg

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I have perfected NY Strips on the Skillet... Juicy well done - done right lol, I had to go to overtime per side on this massive strips, meat was seasoned only with Andenian Salt Flakes and rainbow cracked pepper corns... Now the fat side of the steak was seasoned with garlic powder, lots of smoked paprika, thyme, onion powder, black pepper ground, borsari cracked pepper, started cooking on the fat side for 5 minutes untill crusty, and finished cooking on the fat side for an extra minute while bathing the steak with the oil from the Skillet ... thoughts? ¿🤔? Critiques??? Anyone? ...lol the taste was amazing!!! 🙃View attachment 157510View attachment 157511View attachment 157512View attachment 157513View attachment 157514View attachment 157515
2-3 minutes less total cooking time wood be my preference, but looks good. Now I'm hungry.

serviceguy

BIL made his family's recipe Paella for Mothers Day. He's from Mallorca.

View attachment 157401
Yam! Paella de Marisco, my mum still has the gigantic pan that I bought in Costa del Sol after having this (or a slight variation of it), which I never used because it's like 3' wide. Driving abroad has always turned very expensive for me, and usually resulted in a quick weight gain...

iman29

Surf and turf.

Flank steak garlic oil SP and worcestershire sauce. Wife’s special caramelized red onions and mushrooms.

Shrimp skewers store bought ready to grill. Just added extra lemon.

Smaller piece medium. Larger piece med rare. Yum.

48A8CBD7-F64B-4EE8-9AAA-BA36DB94DC2D.jpeg3F37A9C7-F577-482F-A2D2-E9CAE29C65BD.jpegD32A7509-9077-41D9-AD27-EE1FD8223067.jpegACBB91B5-1DBC-47ED-9BA0-C3938C52FE78.jpeg

roc

The name is the recipe! The soft cheese is ricotta, add whatever floats your boat from there. More cheese, and fresh herbs. We had parsley and some cilantro. Salt pepper and ground Cheyenne. (Sp) Wrap them up, 375 for 25ish.
Going to give theses another shot tonight, didn’t get the prosciutto crispy enough last time. i think a side of risotto will be perfect.

Top Bottom