Classic bike ride, show, parade?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I *think* Super Records are good candidates for 650b conversions. Check out the C&V section at bike forums. The long-reach side pulls or center pulls are no slouches with modern forgings.
What is the benefit of 650b? I checked with my 700x42s and there is plenty of clearance, could probably go to 46s.

Karate Monkey

What is the benefit of 650b? I checked with my 700x42s and there is plenty of clearance, could probably go to 46s.

I mean, if they fit, go ahead. But since it's a road bike, they're typically (from that era) built around a 28-35 (maybe), to allow room for fenders/toe overlap. If you jam the absolute largest wheel+tire inside, you may clip the wheel with your feet while pedaling. The brakes may not clear when actuated, either.

Even if you don't, 650 with a similarly large tire (usually 35-38 to replace a 700x23) will drop the bottom bracket a little bit and allow you to fit the 'same' large tire and fenders, to boot. The dropped bottom bracket is desirable for long-distance riding, since the bike will be a bit more stable. You were never going to clear any obstacles off road with those chainrings, anyway.

You also gain street cred for running a 650 conversion on an older road bike, if that matters to you. Says you understand the little things (brake reach) that the have-nots don't.

serviceguy

I may have missed something but is there any clue as to where and when this is going to happen? Also, do resto-mod qualify? I had to update handlebars, stems, seatpost and saddles to relatively more modern standards to get the old girls going, wheel size, gears and brakes are still period correct though.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I mean, if they fit, go ahead. But since it's a road bike, they're typically (from that era) built around a 28-35 (maybe), to allow room for fenders/toe overlap. If you jam the absolute largest wheel+tire inside, you may clip the wheel with your feet while pedaling. The brakes may not clear when actuated, either.

Even if you don't, 650 with a similarly large tire (usually 35-38 to replace a 700x23) will drop the bottom bracket a little bit and allow you to fit the 'same' large tire and fenders, to boot. The dropped bottom bracket is desirable for long-distance riding, since the bike will be a bit more stable. You were never going to clear any obstacles off road with those chainrings, anyway.

You also gain street cred for running a 650 conversion on an older road bike, if that matters to you. Says you understand the little things (brake reach) that the have-nots don't.
Thanks for the explanation. The thing is I'm just looking to build something kind of cool as cheap as possible since I probably won't ride it much. It seems like 700 wheels and tires would be much easier to find cheap (or free?). I already have tires and a front wheel. I plan on running it 1X with a Sugino crank from a Bianchi Strada (57cm?) that someone can have if they want it.

IMG_20210402_100220198.jpg

Fire Lord Jim

I may have missed something but is there any clue as to where and when this is going to happen? Also, do resto-mod qualify? I had to update handlebars, stems, seatpost and saddles to relatively more modern standards to get the old girls going, wheel size, gears and brakes are still period correct though.
You missed nothing. No date picked. It seems we have a bit of interest. I'm thinking a Saturday, rain date the next day. Open to ideas as to where for picnic, facilities, etc?

serviceguy

Thanks for the explanation. The thing is I'm just looking to build something kind of cool as cheap as possible since I probably won't ride it much. It seems like 700 wheels and tires would be much easier to find cheap (or free?). I already have tires and a front wheel. I plan on running it 1X with a Sugino crank from a Bianchi Strada (57cm?) that someone can have if they want it.

View attachment 154940
Tempting. What size human would it fit?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Tempting. What size human would it fit?
I'm not sure. The sizing on these vintage bikes confuses me. It looked really small to me so I was shocked when it measured 57 cm. I can make some other measurements if you want. Won't be back home till Monday night though.

serviceguy

I'm not sure. The sizing on these vintage bikes confuses me. It looked really small to me so I was shocked when it measured 57 cm. I can make some other measurements if you want. Won't be back home till Monday night though.
Definitely not an urgent matter. Never had a road bike, new or vintage, so I've no idea how it would size. Did it look small when you rode it or just the look of it? Any idea of the year approximately?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Definitely not an urgent matter. Never had a road bike, new or vintage, so I've no idea how it would size. Did it look small when you rode it or just the look of it? Any idea of the year approximately?
Sorry, I don't want to misrepresent this. I never ride it. I got it from a friend who got it from a neighbor. It has 27" wheels but the front one was shot so I trashed it. The back wheel is fine but the tire and tube are shot. Not a functional bike but a project. 😁

serviceguy

Sorry, I don't want to misrepresent this. I never ride it. I got it from a friend who got it from a neighbor. It has 27" wheels but the front one was shot so I trashed it. The back wheel is fine but the tire and tube are shot. Not a functional bike but a project. 😁
No misrepresentation at all, I'm just curious about what it is and how to size it. Looks like a late '80s entry level road bike, if I knew anything about road bikes I could probably have a better idea of what it is. Found similar bikes for sale in Italy but the geo seems a little bit off and they all have the shifters on the down tube, while this one already has them on the handlebars. Probably a nice project but I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are, too many projects and not enough room and time (and money in my case) to complete them.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I need another project like a hole in the head, but it was really bothering me that I might not have something to bring to this if it happens. I tried to give this away multiple times on here and got no takers so I'm going to make a gravel bike build. Complete with the Pete's Cycle shop sticker. View attachment 154929View attachment 154930

Anyone have some really cheap brifters ( 9-10 speed fine)? Probably be up for sale shortly after the event for what I have in it in parts.😁
Still don't know what I'm going to do with the gears and seat, but I just built it as a SS for now to get it running.
IMG_20210418_204632220.jpg

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I managed to create the worst of everything. 10 speed clutch rear with a triple (it does boogie in the big ring). Talk about cross chain, I expected 30 speeds and it’s more like 14. RD is kinda bent up so that likely doesn’t help. Front end is so low it’s terrifying. Half tempted to put the Quadra 21R back on!

modern trail bike added for comparison.
60C2E551-9BEA-4E70-B97B-BEB2F17B44CC.jpeg
6FA6F147-035B-4E7D-A763-BC4A008EBD6F.jpeg

Top Bottom