DT hub conversion to ratchet

Frank

Sasquatch
My Bronson came equipped with DT 370 hubs, and while they work well, I would like better engagement. My old Hopes were nice, but I really like the DT 350’s that are on my Farley. I saw a few videos on Uboob that show folk upgrading pawl style DT hubs to ratchet and was wondering if anyone has done this, or failed at attempting it. I would really like to improve my wheel without buying a new hub and relacing or 🔥 thanks

Karate Monkey

Let's forget the tools for a moment and talk about the fact that ratchet rings that have been ridden are stupid tight. You NEED a high-quality vise and solid structure to attach it to to hope to remove ratchet rings reliably. That said, if you have access to a shop who has the ratchet ring tool, all they need to do is remove it from the hub--everything else can be done by the end user with no other extra tools (the star-ratchet ring can be screwed in using an installed cassette/long chain whip or a firm bounce on the pedals).

Look into the cost of the conversion (star ratchets, hub driver, tools if you need/don't have them, seals, end cap for driver) versus the cost of a 350, for instance. Also investigate whether or not you can fit a proper seal on your hub that you intend to convert, because a star ratchet will not last long without protection from the elements.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
From what I’ve heard it’s not super cost effective but easier than rebuilding the wheel. The guys at Belmar bike shop have done several of these.

Dingo

hub.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It's not a hard swap at all. But it is a little spendy. But less spendy than a wheel.

serviceguy

Let's forget the tools for a moment and talk about the fact that ratchet rings that have been ridden are stupid tight. You NEED a high-quality vise and solid structure to attach it to to hope to remove ratchet rings reliably. That said, if you have access to a shop who has the ratchet ring tool, all they need to do is remove it from the hub--everything else can be done by the end user with no other extra tools (the star-ratchet ring can be screwed in using an installed cassette/long chain whip or a firm bounce on the pedals).

Look into the cost of the conversion (star ratchets, hub driver, tools if you need/don't have them, seals, end cap for driver) versus the cost of a 350, for instance. Also investigate whether or not you can fit a proper seal on your hub that you intend to convert, because a star ratchet will not last long without protection from the elements.
would an impact wrench make the removal of the ring easier?

Or..

serviceguy

I think that would be used to install the new ring for the star ratchet, not take out the ring for the pawl setup.
Darn, you're right. I was mislead by @Karate Monkey 's picture...unfortunately I could not find the cheap, hex tool for the pawl ring. So the impact wrench seem out of the picture, back to the 2x4 + bench wise technique!

Karate Monkey

I think that would be used to install the new ring for the star ratchet, not take out the ring for the pawl setup.
Ah, nope. The original tool would not work, but...for $10 maybe this could do (granted it may not grant you hundreds of removals, but he only needs one...)

DTSwiss Ratchet Ring Removal (not original)

View attachment 155518

Correct. The DT tool still has square machining. Apparently they didn't want people doing what Leo is suggesting. Or they were being good engineers and realized that large parallel surfaces with good radiused corners would be way stronger than a smaller hex. I don't know, goes both ways in the bicycle world.

They're not terrible to remove with preparation. Remove freehub body, hit the ring with some penetrant (liquid wrench is surprisingly good for something commonly available. Kroil is better), give it 15 minutes, a few taps to distribute it, then turn it off with a bench vise. I've struggled more with old freewheels.

serviceguy

Correct. The DT tool still has square machining. Apparently they didn't want people doing what Leo is suggesting. Or they were being good engineers and realized that large parallel surfaces with good radiused corners would be way stronger than a smaller hex. I don't know, goes both ways in the bicycle world.

They're not terrible to remove with preparation. Remove freehub body, hit the ring with some penetrant (liquid wrench is surprisingly good for something commonly available. Kroil is better), give it 15 minutes, a few taps to distribute it, then turn it off with a bench vise. I've struggled more with old freewheels.
What are the chances of having to remove the ratchet ring on a 350? I have an almost incontrollable urge to spend the $80sh ang get the tool now. I don't think I would ever use it though, given the feeble amount of riding I manage to do.

Karate Monkey

Depends. Old one, none. New ones, some are needed to be removed to access the hub bearing. It SEEMS like the bearing should fit through, but it doesn't (on a good close-tolerance bearing, it'll crunch the outer race and damage the balls). Stay on top of your maintenance, or pay some schmuck to do it for you.

serviceguy

Depends. Old one, none. New ones, some are needed to be removed to access the hub bearing. It SEEMS like the bearing should fit through, but it doesn't (on a good close-tolerance bearing, it'll crunch the outer race and damage the balls). Stay on top of your maintenance, or pay some schmuck to do it for you.
What’s old for a 350? Mine are an odd lot, 12x157 straight pull 18H center lock, 2018/2019 circa. Not the one from the spline wheel-set either (I do have one of those sets as a spare too).

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
What are the chances of having to remove the ratchet ring on a 350? I have an almost incontrollable urge to spend the $80sh ang get the tool now. I don't think I would ever use it though, given the feeble amount of riding I manage to do.

I replace that bearing on my hubs at least once a year.

Top Bottom