Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
lower trails are still soft in spots. water that is trapped from flowing across the trail.
Helped a couple of them drain - will see how it goes.

Also went up above roaring rocks garden, and worked on restoring the old line.
It avoids the mud on the the trail that is marked. incorrectly.

Anyway - lots of options now. I didn't open the line over the big rocks, yet.
When @JimN comes down again, maybe i'll get them set up.

Removed a couple of saplings, and that downed tree. Cleaned up the deadfall.

1617152569705.png

1617152746876.png

Then i rode it! Still can't time the fork. think i need faster rebound.

Didn't feel like clipping the middle - so some dead air.

I also think the new lot is larger than the one at Muir Woods.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
@gmb3 - There is a tree down on the pipeline which interferes with the access road.
might hinder an emergency vehicle. Near the the lower maple flats crossing.

1617187473694.png

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
@gmb3 - There is a tree down on the pipeline which interferes with the access road.
might hinder an emergency vehicle. Near the the lower maple flats crossing.

View attachment 154793
This has been cleared

By the size of the ruts, they brought in the largest piece of equipment in the area.

---

Jonquils at the 4-way intersection.

1617228485791.png

Last edited:

phillychris498

Alright, let's get some crowd-sourced opinions here. Will the typically-muddy areas of Sourlands be ready to go by mid-week this week, with the abundant sunshine in the forecast through Thursday? I'd love to come down and ride the lower trails out and Chunky Monkey up top, but would avoid if you all think that would be wise. @gmb3 @Patrick @rick81721 ?

Patrick

Staff member
Alright, let's get some crowd-sourced opinions here. Will the typically-muddy areas of Sourlands be ready to go by mid-week this week, with the abundant sunshine in the forecast through Thursday? I'd love to come down and ride the lower trails out and Chunky Monkey up top, but would avoid if you all think that would be wise. @gmb3 @Patrick @rick81721 ?

i got a feeling chunky will still be wet, as will the river bed connector.
the lower maple flats trail will be muddy. the trail out to the 4-way will have its muddy spots, but f-it.
they aren't going away until we do something about it. 4-way, connector to the fence, new shoes,
roaring rocks, 3 amigos, montezuma will be good. bomb the pipeline while the weeds are short!

rick81721

Lothar

Not back in jersey for at least another month

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
OK, so i'm thinking about a little impromptu TM session this Saturday 4/10 at 9am. Thoughts are to clear out existing lower trail drainage, create new drainage where needed and maybe do a bit of rock armoring as well. Let me know if interested. Also let me know if there are specific current trouble spots since i haven't been down there in months.

Patrick

Staff member
OK, so i'm thinking about a little impromptu TM session this Saturday 4/10 at 9am. Thoughts are to clear out existing lower trail drainage, create new drainage where needed and maybe do a bit of rock armoring as well. Let me know if interested. Also let me know if there are specific current trouble spots since i haven't been down there in months.

i'm heading for 2nd dose of moderna tomorrow. If i feel good, i'll come over.

all of lower maple flats.

something is up with the water crossing with all the rock chunk - it is spread wider than usual.
the spots where the bridges dump into the tree roots are a mess (there are two of them)

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
It is ON! 9am tomorrow. I'll say meet close to the pond but who knows what parking will look like. I will bring tools and we will do lower trail drainage and armoring.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I had the kids in tow and we made it about two hours, which I will take. Did some water diversion and extended some armoring. Thanks for organizing @gmb3 Go ride it in!

439C933B-9837-4492-81B6-DB9B10FE244E.jpeg
EC545A0D-C60C-4144-A442-BC2E27D0C863.jpeg
DC1355F1-A002-4DC5-8C4C-EB65BB333D26.jpeg

a fine moment captured of a teenager not wanting a picture taken and younger sister mocking said teenager behind his back:
DD288309-8274-46DF-AC11-3AEB864CEE52.jpeg

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
From Park Rangers. Do not know the reason. Might be too many people, might be someone got hurt.
ATTENTION:
We have closed the yellow trail at the connector. Devil's Half Acre and the yellow trial going around is CLOSED until further notice. The pink trail going through Devil's Half Acre is CLOSED until further notice.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
My Photos from today. This awesome armor has been there for years but it was soggy and smeared with mud. Trenched both sides so water sheds off into the stream below.
20210410_104841.jpg

20210410_121141.jpg

Then the spot above it was always soggy and not armored. We fixed that!
20210410_104852.jpg

Light top coat of dirt to act as the cement to hold the rocks together.
20210410_121152.jpg

And a trench gap in the middle to let water move from high to low side
20210410_105015.jpg

Then armored a hole on the low side of some big roots and closed off the go-arounds. Let's hope they stay closed.
20210410_105029.jpg

If you're riding Sourlands, you like rocks. Ride on them (and the raised tread)!
Thanks to @clarkenstein , his 2 kids and @snashters. A very productive morning!

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions