Saddle Help

mtn

I have pretty temperamental hips and so I'm in need of a new saddle. Urologist insists I get a saddle with the prostate cutout, so shall be it. I've read about how well loved Ergon is for the majority of people, but it of course depends on the individual. I understand Ergon has their saddle selector, but for people who cannot spend $60x5 to find the right saddle, how do you go about testing them out? Heck, I even feel that I'm going to end up with a women's saddle, but cannot know that for sure until I try one. Ergon shows no dealers around here btw.

JDurk

Some shops have an "Ass-o-meter" for measuring sit bone width. I got mine measured at an LBS and purchased a Specialized Phenom in 155mm after riding 143mm for a long time with discomfort.

serviceguy

I have pretty temperamental hips and so I'm in need of a new saddle. Urologist insists I get a saddle with the prostate cutout, so shall be it. I've read about how well loved Ergon is for the majority of people, but it of course depends on the individual. I understand Ergon has their saddle selector, but for people who cannot spend $60x5 to find the right saddle, how do you go about testing them out? Heck, I even feel that I'm going to end up with a women's saddle, but cannot know that for sure until I try one. Ergon shows no dealers around here btw.
I took a chance on the Ergon SM and I call it a success. It has the cut out and you need to measure your seat bones or whatever they’re called. Before that I had an Ergon SMC4 and it was really good but the SM is more comfortable. Every ass is different though so you may want to read about them as much as possible trying to understand which one will dig you. I doubt any store will let you try out a saddle but I’m ready to be surprised. They also come in a variety of configuration, I would make sure to get one with gel pads.

Reactions: mtn

mtn

Some shops have an "Ass-o-meter" for measuring sit bone width. I got mine measured at an LBS and purchased a Specialized Phenom in 155mm after riding 143mm for a long time with discomfort.
So you ended up buying the one that the machine recommended, but ultimately went for the larger size? Was it only the width of the area around the sit bones that changed?

Karate Monkey

The big boys usually have "return it for store credit if you don't like it" clauses. I know for certain that Trek and Shimano do, and I'm almost positive Specialized and Giant do, too.

Ergon is about as "boutique" as a big company can get. The big guys are okay with eating a saddle to keep you happy (and maybe buy one of their bikes), little manufacturers, not so much.

I can lend you a laced B17 for a couple of weeks, if you want to try that...

JDurk

So you ended up buying the one that the machine recommended, but ultimately went for the larger size? Was it only the width of the area around the sit bones that changed?
No, I had been riding the 143mm for a few years and long rides were uncomfortable. Was in the shop with my wife when she bought and was fitted on a tri-bike. Got measured while I was there and since that time been riding 155mm.

ekuhn

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/ (currently down for maintenance)

Funny looking but no taint pressure. @jdog normally has them in stock at Halters

one piece crank

I did the sit-on-cardboard-and-measure-your-sitbone-dimples technique. At a minimum, I would recommend you do this and then measure your current seat, before a Shop measurement or new seat purchase. Puts you in the know.

My favorite seat is $40, very firm, and I can sit on it all day long. In fact, I'm now going to buy another just to have as back-up...

Last edited:

ebarker9

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/ (currently down for maintenance)

Funny looking but no taint pressure. @jdog normally has them in stock at Halters

I've run a SMP saddle for a while and recently did an online demo program thing where they send you a few saddles to try at a time for ~$20 per saddle which is then credited if you buy from them.

Reactions: mtn

mtn

Different topic, but does anyone in the north part of NJ have a large Giant Revolt? No shops have them, but I would like to test one out.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Different topic, but does anyone in the north part of NJ have a large Giant Revolt? No shops have them, but I would like to test one out.
Starting a new thread would be better visibility.

As for the original poster @mtn get measured is the 1st step. I bought a $40 specialized body glove and it fits great.

mtn

Are saddles supposed to hurt? I feel the two points of my sit bones rotating on the seat and creating pain. Is that what is supposed to happen?

serviceguy

Are saddles supposed to hurt? I feel the two points of my sit bones rotating on the seat and creating pain. Is that what is supposed to happen?
I’ll go out on a limb and say...no?!? What saddle did you end up buying?

Karate Monkey

You don't sound like a new cyclist, but sit bones can get bruised (anything can, really). Saddle choice can help, but mine are almost always sore between saddle time and sitting on wood benches for 5-10 hours a week. If I've got 15+ hours of bench time in a week, I can't even look at my 'hard' saddles.

If you are new(er), or have recently sharply increased saddle time, it takes time to get used to discomfort. First blush from your comment though says: more padding (either chamois or saddle). A little bit goes a long way. Not so much a problem any more, but a saddle with a flexible shell helps, and--in the same vein--so does a full-suspension bike.

mtn

I’ll go out on a limb and say...no?!? What saddle did you end up buying?
Ergon SM Mens S/M
Going from a saddle with tons of padding to this with not much, I’m just not sure if my sit bones will be used to it, or if it is considered improper saddle fit.

serviceguy

Ergon SM Mens S/M
Going from a saddle with tons of padding to this with not much, I’m just not sure if my sit bones will be used to it, or if it is considered improper saddle fit.
Mine is a m/l and lately I ride with no padding, no issues (plenty of ‘natural’ padding though).

rosceaux

I ended up with a SQLabs saddle that eliminated soreness more than any other I've ridden. Even if you don't go with one, I found their website to be very informative. Much of my earlier discomfort was caused by my pubic bones, and not my sit bones. Helped in selection and setup. YMMV.

Top Bottom