What have you done to your bike today?

pkovo

Are you sure you need that extra link there? I'm not familiar with SRam but that derailleur looks kind of dangling in there...
It's definitely hanging LOW now. I have it setup 1x8 with a 40t largest cog and it either wouldn't clear the cog, or it wouldn't shift to it smoothly without the link, cant recall which.
With the wolftooth roadlink it worked great, but that link was only about half as long as this replacement which was preferable.

Just need this bike to work for a short while longer as she's about ready to size up.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
iv had no problems getting chains as needed, no clue about cassettes, but if youv been riding on a worn out cassette and chain for that long you need to take a look at the chainrings too

serviceguy

It's definitely hanging LOW now. I have it setup 1x8 with a 40t largest cog and it either wouldn't clear the cog, or it wouldn't shift to it smoothly without the link, cant recall which.
With the wolftooth roadlink it worked great, but that link was only about half as long as this replacement which was preferable.

Just need this bike to work for a short while longer as she's about ready to size up.
Why didn't you get the goatlink instead? Is the link for that application. Kinda.Sorta.It's for the 10 speed.

Cassinonorth

PXL_20210326_004439190.jpg

Replaced the pads with organic/aluminum back after dealing with the squealing for a few weeks. No idea... These don't look too worn to me, guessing contamination.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
metallic pads do tend to be noisier than resin/organic compound pads, especially when cold, unless you find yourself overheating the organics (unlikely for most riders in NJ) they are probably your best bet

Ian F

A few weeks ago I learned Paul's Components sells a version of their Klamper cable-caliper specifically designed for Campagnolo road brake levers. The TRP RD hydro calipers I have pretty much work, but there is still a rather worrisome lack of space between the shifter lever and the bar when stopping, so I bit the bullet and ordered a set.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
7D1525C9-A7B8-435A-A398-429CAAD2C3C5.jpeg
Finally got a chance to try the mixed wheel / reverse mullet on the new 429. Even though it added weight, I far prefer the 27.5 x 2.8 on the rear. I have it paired with a 29x 2.35 on the front.

the bike got a little slacker so I’m running it in the higher/ steeper hta/sta setting.

After riding a vesper hub for two years, the dt feels super slow Engagement and noisy. I may be building the matching Zipp moto30/ onyx hub sooner than expected.

the smallish 27.7 x 2.8 rocket Ron adds traction, and makes the bike a ton more fun to ride. The overall height is super similar, but different enough to change the ride feel.

word on the street is that this mixed wheel combo Will be common place for 2022/23 model year. With That in mind I figured I’d get ahead of it and try it a bunch before we see them on the sales floor.

I also just switched to 170mm cranks on this build. This was sparked by the hrs spent on the 170mm setting on the kickr bike all winter. I didn’t notice the shorter cranks at all.

Before you make fun of my saddle, know that I suffered a severe case of prostatitis a decade ago or so. The SMP is the only saddle I’ve been able to find that causes me absolutely zero prostate pressure. Anyone who has had prostatitis knows that it’s a horrible thing. The crazy thing about the saddle is that although it looks like it it’s pointed downhill my brain tells me that it is set at level.

I’ll add here that I just came off the old 429 which was a fabulous bike. The new one is the typical longer steeper/slacker setup. I have mine set up with a pike 140 mm and 120 mm DPX2 on the rear. In the Steeper position with fast tires this could be a pretty good cross country race bike actually. Especially for 24 hour races. This thing has a remarkably low center of gravity and I’m feeling like I’ll never go over the handlebars.

I happen to think of this 120 travel rear/140 front is likely the ideal bike setup for much of New Jersey. I’m also building a 160 travel bike for chairlift/super tech spots.

cuda

View attachment 154836Finally got a chance to try the mixed wheel / reverse mullet on the new 429. Even though it added weight, I far prefer the 27.5 x 2.8 on the rear. I have it paired with a 29x 2.35 on the front.

the bike got a little slacker so I’m running it in the higher/ steeper hta/sta setting.

After riding a vesper hub for two years, the dt feels super slow Engagement and noisy. I may be building the matching Zipp moto30/ onyx hub sooner than expected.

the smallish 27.7 x 2.8 rocket Ron adds traction, and makes the bike a ton more fun to ride. The overall height is super similar, but different enough to change the ride feel.

word on the street is that this mixed wheel combo Will be common place for 2022/23 model year. With That in mind I figured I’d get ahead of it and try it a bunch before we see them on the sales floor.

I also just switched to 170mm cranks on this build. This was sparked by the hrs spent on the 170mm setting on the kickr bike all winter. I didn’t notice the shorter cranks at all.

Before you make fun of my saddle, know that I suffered a severe case of prostatitis a decade ago or so. The SMP is the only saddle I’ve been able to find that causes me absolutely zero prostate pressure. Anyone who has had prostatitis knows that it’s a horrible thing. The crazy thing about the saddle is that although it looks like it it’s pointed downhill my brain tells me that it is set at level.

I’ll add here that I just came off the old 429 which was a fabulous bike. The new one is the typical longer steeper/slacker setup. I have mine set up with a pike 140 mm and 120 mm DPX2 on the rear. In the Steeper position with fast tires this could be a pretty good cross country race bike actually. Especially for 24 hour races. This thing has a remarkably low center of gravity and I’m feeling like I’ll never go over the handlebars.

I happen to think of this 120 travel rear/140 front is likely the ideal bike setup for much of New Jersey. I’m also building a 160 travel bike for chairlift/super tech spots.

Have you tried plus tires on both ends? I recall you weren't a 27+ fan a while back. Wonder if that's changed.

cuda

Went fat while I wait on a suspension bike, but can't stop the burps. 5psi to 3/2/1/0psi after enough hits. LBS is also stumped.

Has anyone gotten stock Surly stuff to work tubeless? MOBD/Bud/Lou, all "tubeless ready" + Surly's tubeless kit

Other than that, fat bikes are tremendous. Would recommend

Attachments

• PXL_20210325_220805936.jpg
    PXL_20210325_220805936.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 72

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Went fat while I wait on a suspension bike, but can't stop the burps. 5psi to 3/2/1/0psi after enough hits. LBS is also stumped.

Has anyone gotten stock Surly stuff to work tubeless? MOBD/Bud/Lou, all "tubeless ready" + Surly's tubeless kit

Other than that, fat bikes are tremendous. Would recommend

yes - bud and lou on rolling darryls too.
didn't have a problem - also didn't go below 6psi cause JV said not to.

will wait for his wisdom.

Top Bottom