Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

Ian F

Had a stout last Friday and definitely noticed it trying to sleep that night. Hoping to ride tomorrow, so I probably will not partake tonight. So... 3 drinks this year.

As far as saving money... I did end up buying a case of seasonal stout from the local brewery (Neshaminy Creek), although if all goes as planned, it'll be a gift for some friends assuming I can make a drive out to MT in the next couple of years.

rlb

Do you have any suggestions or wish you did anything different bringing home number 2 to make things better for number 1?

I haven't been riding much but got a tag along and so I can go out with #1. Which makes me a hero since I'm getting number 1 out giving her a break and I get to ride.

Don't let your established routines get tossed for convenience since life may be a shit show for a while. It will be super hard to get those routines back (took us 4 months to get bedtime back under control). You're on the right track with breaks for mom, but I didn't need to tell you that.

And don't let the stress drive you to drink.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Don't let your established routines get tossed for convenience since life may be a shit show for a while. It will be super hard to get those routines back (took us 4 months to get bedtime back under control). You're on the right track with breaks for mom, but I didn't need to tell you that.

And don't let the stress drive you to drink.

Bed time has gone to shit lol

Reactions: rlb

Ian F

4th drink of the year last night - shot of Irish whiskey w/ water in a "virtual" toast with my teammates to celebrate both St. Patty's Day and a birthday. Whiskey was chosen basically because it's the only Irish booze I have in the house right now...

rosceaux

I just finished installing recessed lighting and hanging ceiling drywall in my kitchen. Total with but its looking better than I could have ever hoped for. MAN I'd like to crack open a beer as just stare at my handiwork for a bit. But I'm about 80 days in, so I'll grab a fake beer, do some cleanup, and prep for tomorrow's taping job.

Johnny Utah

I just finished installing recessed lighting and hanging ceiling drywall in my kitchen. Total with but its looking better than I could have ever hoped for. MAN I'd like to crack open a beer as just stare at my handiwork for a bit. But I'm about 80 days in, so I'll grab a fake beer, do some cleanup, and prep for tomorrow's taping job.
I went crazy tonight, two diet sodas. 79 days.39E6CAE8-A059-46E4-9E72-A8675AC7A17E.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
yesterday afternoon->evening->night was the first time i can remember where i wasn't thinking about having a beer.
I didn't need to make a decision between alc vs NA beer when i got home @10:30 or want it any time
during the evening. That's a win.

Cassinonorth

yesterday afternoon->evening->night was the first time i can remember where i wasn't thinking about having a beer.
I didn't need to make a decision between alc vs NA beer when i got home @10:30 or want it any time
during the evening. That's a win.

Huge win! It's a mental reprogramming and alcohol is absolutely an addictive substance. Happy that those N/A's are helping you transition over.

Ian F

I was cleaning and found some imperial stouts I'd forgotten about. Last night I decided to try one - first drink I'd had a few weeks. And was reminded of why I have ventured down this experiment in sobriety. Slept like absolute crap last night.

Damn...

It was a good stout, though... :confused:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I see it's been a while since anyone posted. I've been drinking more lately but keeping it to a few choice beers and no heavy liquor. Thinking about training for the BearScat in September. Just thinking about it right now. If that happens, I'll give up alcohol. Until then...

1619437370734.png

Good luck to the rest.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Was going to post on 4/30 - I'm still on track for fewer drinking days than non-drinking.
I keep running out of NA beer! Not to mention the untitled art juicy is not to be found!
Just ordered more stout - nights will be cool for a bit longer?

Also keeping the limit to someplace between 1 and 2 if i do imbibe - i usually split them
with the Queen, so 3->1.5 for me (maybe 1.7)
What i'm really stoked about is that I haven't had anything stronger than a glass of wine.
Got the stuff in the cabinet, and it has stayed there.
My take is that not getting half-crocked keeps me from wanting something else, not beer, and breaking into the whiskey,
which then leads to more whiskey, which leads to a hangover and losing another 1/2 day of life trying to recover.
Maybe I'll have some with my buddy that is trying to get life back together after getting covid, and having an unplanned 6 weeks off
trying to regain strength. (yes, the one that said it was just like the flu, and that the malaria meds would take care of it no problem - :( )

Hold the course...

Last edited:
Top Bottom