Volunteer thread: freeze/thaw season closure / gates signage

Bleeder

JORBA:President
K43iXOj06c6xCeUdDOEfcgHyspOiRP273PhxlsH6K2zglVIau8AZ1mhd3C_IGSXL_UhgtFJOlBPFQIsuHIp1AEpu1UWs4GRIU2KWIL1KiKRKNs8zC0IHefY5aobgY8mgRAAmWChppchB12K_HEogVEQifAHTqKRgib-JY0OqGe7dhuD2ctT2NfaLk-BMeZ8FlTaXH4mTMj6KsOdkxjaH0WpzD8AHSkQ9E0EbdKl-H4LEkRYQVtiTjWYvuZWO4HLgx4gU6y9W9TDGEXH6jiL9fRt_IU3yi8kYbhW8KvfxM3cyMulS95IaYXibTu7PqXNMwFbpjuh_4BhjsnEsEsmDyPboeodSpNH6OF1_1z4Jw5mVSH2qdlllkiLbBef6gD7JpQz4_hnLqcV_UETN1Lh7KoE6YX4NuGETvnkPwHF8D4I0jInunzaEDTZaPzHRqU1gSTyJr3rpgJu0LloQHDopmJCI7EcMGpJGdl9UlyA3EwL-59akoTVOBUzgPr9UWjHmLJVR5-M_u_jb55bEYro7XyGJKBS94dd3kPUpdx9kcdKmbnrC2OmDUj_xJaQqjjx8hn6xZzz3BbaleJoXNhqvapZhFTfEHd3-MwtqtD-V7jopmhp4HEF_Ej5hrnnRjzXCHpYENtRQHYVCyn0FK-bivNnptf2wAHquL7T-yy-ZCejiohxPZFzA17ZUQvj4yOUbs7I73MLKiTREuL7YEsxp_WI=w797-h1029-no

pygmypony

i'm in for sweat equity, and donating materials / $ as needed...also looking to pick up some pointers for doing the same sort of stuff at our local edison woods

pygmypony

not a trail sign per-se, but a model of a couple of features that seem to "legitimize" trail closures...

these are borrowed from fountainhead regional park outside of fairfax VA...superb trail system

* an "official" looking facebook (or similar) page that posts regular updates on trail conditions, and closures. such that, when any asshat is asking if a particular place is open, another asshat can just send them that link. fountainhead's facebook page contact us actually takes you to northern VA park service...would be nice if this page would have the same info on trail closures...

* a phone number one can call for updated trail conditions (not everyone is on facebook)

i've got a buddy who is involved with NJ state parks pretty regularly. i will ask him for some input here as well. he actually did the GPS walking that generated this map!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
images

This is at the entrance of the trail heads at our local parks in the Charlotte area. Someone has to manage it doe.

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 10.46.22 AM.png

This is at the top of the mtbNJ of the Charlotte area. Granted, we all agree that the users who read/visit the board regularly are not the ones you are targeting.

Bleeder

Trailforks, has the same info, and it reaches a lot more people than any one board. Just have to get the to check with know before you go.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trailforks, has the same info, and it reaches a lot more people than any one board. Just have to get the to check with know before you go.
i actually changed six mile trail conditions on trailforks to say closed (in january). someone else went in recently and changed them to open. anyone with an account can change the conditions on trailforks at will.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
images

This is at the entrance of the trail heads at our local parks in the Charlotte area. Someone has to manage it doe.
That 100% looks legit AF. Yeah, someone has to deal with it. From what I can tell that is the problem. There's no manpower...

All the others signs explaining the reasons are great but education is a separate thing from conveying the status of the trail. It can't be left to discretion.

Bleeder

i actually changed six mile trail conditions on trailforks to say closed (in january). someone else went in recently and changed them to open. anyone with an account can change the conditions on trailforks at will
Thank you.

ekuhn

That 100% looks legit AF. Yeah, someone has to deal with it. From what I can tell that is the problem. There's no manpower...

All the others signs explaining the reasons are great but education is a separate thing from conveying the status of the trail. It can't be left to discretion.
This is clear and concise. Relatively easy to produce too.

Manpower is an issue everywhere, but why not at Nox? or Nassau?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim

In my option that's the whole problem with these solutions. Unless you have daily official manpower to assess, then it goes downhill quickly. The people who don't care will ignore signs/gates/fences/dirty looks/etc. (see Jim V. post), and the people who obey will be locked out during times when it could be ridden with no damage (i.e. frozen trails where conditions may be great). As you can see I'm not in favor of limiting access only to stop boneheads who could care less anyway.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions