Ticks

MMuller

I'm sure anyone on this site is already aware and informed on the subject. With no hard freeze this winter tick season never really ended. This Spring could be brutal.
Parks are packed now as people practice distance and rediscover the outdoors. Please share the importance of tick protection with the newbs (and their dogs). Certainly everyone's focus is on the virus. Lyme disease is devastating. Just a quick PSA. See you in the woods.

mtn

Agreed. The mouse and tick populations were unaffected this winter and so the lyme infected rate is going to skyrocket.

mtn

A friend found one on her leg a couple days ago so it seems there out early this year.
They have been out this whole winter. Never stopped. I’ve had hundreds on me in my life. Thankfully only about 50 attached.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
So I just got over my antibiotic course for Lyme that I tested positive for.
My advice is to spray/check now like it is the summer it is going to be a rough season.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had a deer tick crawling on my leg when I got home from riding last night. It's definitely gonna be a bad year.

gpTron

My daughter found one on her the other day after playing in the backyard that I had to tweeze off. They're wasting no time.

mtn

Fyi, according to the PA tick lab in East Stroudsburg, ticks retain a form of antifreeze in their system so that they can survive under the snowpack until spring. So right back into immediately after the snow melts.

Karate Monkey

I have to admit, I opened the thread and was like, "no hard freeze? Does @MMuller live in the same state I do?"

Then I realized it was posted last year--how time flies when you're not counting it, huh?

Anyway, yeah, warm weekend, above freezing temps over night, it's bug season. Spray up.

mtn

As another little fyi, ticks only need to be attached 15 minutes to transmit Powassan virus. It is widespread in NJ, NY, and PA at this point. There is no cure and no remedies, unlike Lyme. For me, I have been tired ever since the day after the tick bite. Eyes are highly photophobic and I am unable to go to the eye doctor any longer because their light permanently harms my vision (Was previously 20/10, now 20/30). There is a disconnect between my brain, mind, vision which leaves me in a bit of a fog all the time. And also some slurred speech since my head cannot think as fast as my mouth moves. So yeah, fuk ticks. Fuk mice. If you see either, kill them. You don't realize how serious this is until you cannot function normally and every day is a battle to get through.

Kill ticks and mice. Spray clothes with Permethrin and everything else with DEET. Stay on trails and out of leaf litter. Leave pets at home and only walk them on the road. Literally check yourself if you've been anywhere outside.

Top Bottom