What have you done to your bike today?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just the wheel. Fox 26 forks fit a 27.5 wheel. I had one already from my hard tail so I could check it w/ o spending any $$$.

I have 2.4 conti trail kings on the front.
Sweet. Looks like plenty of clearance. I've got a hoop and some random tires so we'll give it a go. Thanks!

pkovo

Stem length looks good, and is fine for a race bike, especially given the wheel size.
Thanks. Ironically, that stem came from a mini Haro Cruiser that I think bought from you a few years ago. As did the sprocket on the cruiser, and the wheels, tires, cranks and fork on her class bike.

All my kids were too big for that mini, but 2/3rds of that bike live on in these builds.

one piece crank

Modified some Jumbo rear pegs to clear my size 14 shoes, cut the length to 65mm, and drilled for 14mm axle.

IMG_5888.JPG

Ian F

PXL_20210226_031137272.jpg

Definitely needs some final adjustment and I am going to clean up the cable and hose lengths, but it's together. Weight per my Park scale: 30 lbs even.
The Spot has stupid light Enve carbon wheels, so I'll see what it's like with those on as well. I think the only change is switching from a 160 to a 180 rotor on the rear wheel.

Ian F

I was watching the Jeff Lenosky/Reeb live stream last night talking about the prototype long travel bike one of the Reeb guys built. It's a steel frame/ alum swingarm design with 184mm travel and he complete bike weighs in around 43 lbs. Someone then commented about how they know of guys running Megatowers almost that heavy... which got me to wondering how much mine weighs, since I bought the Park scale after I put it away after my injury. So I dug it off the hanger and set up the scale: about 34 lbs. even w/o pedals. Not bad considering it does have I-9 Grade DH wheels and Maxxis Assegai DH casing tires.

Over the Bars

Riding the 29er in the basement chasing my son in circles was getting old fast so I Put some air in the tires and threw some pedals on my old bmx dirt jumper. I can't believe how heavy this thing is !!! How the hell did I use to ride this thing everywhere, take it to skate parks and ride dirt jumps. Full squish carbon 29er is more my style now 😂
PXL_20210302_233822343.jpg
PXL_20210302_233701259.jpg

JonF

The new super enduro bike has a stock 180mm Fox 38 that i want to tune specifically for the bike park. Some options considered was an Avalanche damper, avalanche hybrid air/coil spring, Vorsprung smashpot, Vorsprung Secus or keep it stock. Though there's no denying what a custom damper can do, i think i should at least try the fork as-is since the new valving is supposedly pretty good. And coil conversions also sound good, however, they add a fair amount of weight and are an irreversible modification (interior wear/abrasion). Thought that adding a little more plushness with a Secus might be an interesting, low cost baby step with minimal downside. We'll see how it does!

IMG_20210303_121602.jpg

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trying to solve the Patented Shimano Variable Lever Engagement (tm) so I did a lever bleed on the XT’s. Quite a few bubbles so...maybe. Somewhere along the line I bought a liter of mineral oil so I could do this daily if it helps. Honestly I’d rather have intermittently working XT’s over fully functional Guides.

Last night I did a lower service on the Pike. @jdgang was nice enough to show me how to take apart a Pike, plus the interwebs. I had planned just a fluid change and clean.
I probably should have changed the foam rings. Next time. I also encountered the “stuck down” problem on reassembly which I solved with the zip tie burp then yanked really hard on them. I found myself gritting my teeth very hard during this, which was unnecessary. I’m weird sometimes.

Looking forward to getting rowdy this year.

5A3632B5-8ABC-407B-95E3-580547CA1F51.jpeg

Kaleidopete

Threw my headlight in the garbage after hours of re-soldering connections on the battery side and the light side.
They were corroded from winter salt and riding and wouldn't even attach anymore. Finally got things all good, but
now the headlight is so dim it's not worth anything. I guess something wrong inside the light, garbage, new light
ordered, too aggravating to deal with today. Now I feel better! 😊

serviceguy

Why would I trash a perfectly good one just to have two that match?!
The greater good, mankind, world peace? I don’t know.

Why do I have to build my bikes with matchy-matchy components? I don’t know either but I do. Latest installment, light blue El Mariachi with new wheels and tires as well as matchy blue seat post clamp. You can’t see the hubs but they’re blue hopes, rims are WTB Asym i35. Tires are Rekon 29x2.6, they fit perfectly moving the wheel a little farther away from the the BB. It’s a little bit of a porker at 28 lbs, I wasn’t impressed he by that considering the same frame in SS is about 24 lbs. Guess I’m on a diet.

2744592B-3D4A-4154-8646-B8EBCD55A401.jpeg

WTB rims, what a PITA to set new tires on them, same as the KOM, it takes a while for the welded seam to stop micro leaking.

Karate Monkey

But they don’t match! Now the universe is out of balance, terrible things are going to happen. Aaaarghhhhh!

Oh man, my personal stack has 3 different toolboxes, each ~20 years apart, 3 of one kind of parts box, 2 of another, and 3 different parts drawers (which need to be renovated/chucked out). I've got a bookcase from when Borders closed that is additionally stacked with crap that doesn't fit in the other things.

serviceguy

Oh man, my personal stack has 3 different toolboxes, each ~20 years apart, 3 of one kind of parts box, 2 of another, and 3 different parts drawers (which need to be renovated/chucked out). I've got a bookcase from when Borders closed that is additionally stacked with crap that doesn't fit in the other things.
Chaos is totally ok, two unmatched boxes...

Top Bottom