Chimney Rock Conditions

caferacer

Went there yesterday morning below freezing temps on Yellow.

Attachments

• PXL_20210302_155148103.jpg
    PXL_20210302_155148103.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 142
  • PXL_20210302_155409133.jpg
    PXL_20210302_155409133.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 142
  • PXL_20210302_160502116.jpg
    PXL_20210302_160502116.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 140

hls811

I think I'll be there tomorrow as well.. Just not sure if its a fat bike day or a full suspension kinda day..

Off The Road Again

Planning to go tomorrow at 8a.m., starting from ballfield lot. Probably hitting Yellow, White and Red. Blue usually keeps the snow more protected. Orange? Not sure, either slipping going up, or sliding going down, could be fun. How are the frozen footprints, anyone?

FitmanNJ

So fat tires for tomorrow it is...
I hiked around the reservoir midday today (Newmans Lane lot->White->Lower Red->Newmans) and was thinking that I wouldn’t ride that loop without studs. I have Bud/Lou with GripStuds on 100mm rims and I was doubtful that my studs would hold on some of the icy short/steep sections of Lower Red. White might be a little safer. Be careful!

hls811

I hiked around the reservoir midday today (Newmans Lane lot->White->Lower Red->Newmans) and was thinking that I wouldn’t ride that loop without studs. I have Bud/Lou with GripStuds on 100mm rims and I was doubtful that my studs would hold on some of the icy short/steep sections of Lower Red. White might be a little safer. Be careful!
Gotchya. thank you! So I guess I should either sleep in or take a drive down to Allaire with everyone else..

pygmypony

rode the guardrail climb (mostly good...a bit slick in spots)...by the time i got there, it was around 1030 so temps were already above freezing...

then took orange down to gilbride...super sketchy, snow/ice/mud...terrible

from gilbride to the hawkwatch was fine...and then rode top of yellow (messy) and the full hi-tech, which was in pretty good shape

was happy to be on a fat bike though

%mwKtb9OT3qbI%Ik%%AaYg.jpg

FitmanNJ

Gotchya. thank you! So I guess I should either sleep in or take a drive down to Allaire with everyone else..
I guess that you could join the masses at Allaire. The main (northern?) part of the Rutgers Ecological Preserve is pretty flat, so I imagine that it could be rideable even if icy in spots if you arrived real early (no later than ~7-8 AM, before the thaw). I haven’t seen it, though. @pygmypony has reported that conditions (i.e., mud) there went downhill rapidly as the temps got above freezing...

hls811

rode the guardrail climb (mostly good...a bit slick in spots)...by the time i got there, it was around 1030 so temps were already above freezing...

then took orange down to gilbride...super sketchy, snow/ice/mud...terrible

from gilbride to the hawkwatch was fine...and then rode top of yellow (messy) and the full hi-tech, which was in pretty good shape

was happy to be on a fat bike though

View attachment 153180
WOW! 43 miles?!?! You were all over today! I've done part of that ride on a road bike and a hybird a few years back (Bridgewater to Piscataway), I wouldn't have even thought of that on a fatbike. Thats an impressive route! I drove by the D&R entry off Landing Lane today and it looked good, I was thinking that could be an option for tomorrow too.
I did Rutgers a few weeks ago, before the snow, and it was already a muddy mess. I can't get anywhere before the thaw starts.. 😴😴😴

I may still give Chimney Rock a try, I'd like to get up to the Hawks Nest for a picture and the idea of an hour + each way to Allaire just isn't doing it for me.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions