Campervans

qclabrat

Trying to convince the spouse to get a campervan, but has concerns with used ones with no warranty. I knew class A RVs could get expensive but never figured a 5 yo campervan costs 70-120k. My budget is under 50k which means I'm a 10 yo or more vehicle. Minimum requirements are that it must have a toilet, shower and sleeps 3. I've been looking at mid 2000 Road Treks based on the Chevy Express 3500.

Not looking to go off the grid or boondocking, but got a few requirements though reliability is the most important. We'd like to drive to Florida and Yellowstone this year for 1-2 week excursions and don't want a vehicle taking up most of the driveway when not in use. Thoughts?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rent an RV/Van near Yellowstone. The cost will seem really high, but be WAY cheaper, easier, etc than buying a used van.

There's tons of services out there that rent them.

Van thing seems awesome, but if you're an adult with a real job, kids, etc it's usually not the best financial decision.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Didn’t @qclabrat just buy a custom first gen Firebird? I think he might have different financial priorities than we do...
Just rent. My neighbors spent as much as a house on theirs at the beginning of the pandemic and have used it for a total of two weekends.
Yeah part of my reasoning isn't even the money. It's the hassle.

$50,000 for a van pays for many, many nights in nicer hotels or AirBnBs. If you want to go to Yellowstone, you'd enjoy renting a sprinter or such van in Utah/Idaho/Wyoming and driving it in after flying into the area. The cost there would go towards a rental car and hotels/lodges in the park.

@qclabrat Even if you're 100% going to do it, you should rent first just to see how you like it. It seems vans are like buying a mountain bike when you are getting into the sport. Whatever bike you buy, no matter what your intentions is, isn't the bike you need after your first season. Maybe you think you do or do not need a bathroom, but then things change. There's so many tradeoffs to every way to outfitting a van.

one piece crank

Did basic dig-in research for my Mom. Turns out a LOT of these RV’s are built like crap. So bad that you spend significant time fixing things and fighting warranty. We opted for spacious old 4x4’s, multiple tents (selected by expected weather), and nice camp equipment. The end result is we can hike the AT, or drive two vehicles into the woods for 2-weeks. Only missing piece - I have not yet committed to a fridge or solar.

JDurk

We went with a small teardrop trailer for the 2 of us. That way we don't have to break camp if we want to drive somewhere during the trip. Looked at camper vans, Class Cs and other travel trailers. A lot are built very cheap to be lightweight.

Renting for this 1st trip would be better.

pygmypony

you can also try to score a free one here...

don

Some dude had an old Freightliner ambulance in the parking lot in Stowe when I was there in January. I didn't get a close up look or any pictures as I saw it from the gondola but I thought it was very interesting to go that way as it has a commerical chassis and drivetrain and a box already. Made sense for a ski rig as you can keep you gear in the outside lockers.

A quick search I found this old Koidak that seems like it could be a good foundation: https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/53641487/2009-chevrolet-kodiak-c4500

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Some dude had an old Freightliner ambulance in the parking lot in Stowe when I was there in January. I didn't get a close up look or any pictures as I saw it from the gondola but I thought it was very interesting to go that way as it has a commerical chassis and drivetrain and a box already. Made sense for a ski rig as you can keep you gear in the outside lockers.

A quick search I found this old Koidak that seems like it could be a good foundation: https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/53641487/2009-chevrolet-kodiak-c4500
Flip on the lights and you can make some good time on powder days.

• Haha
Reactions: don

johnbryanpeters

you can also try to score a free one here...

I have a 2019 Freightliner F2CA4X Sprinter van and I'm not exactly in love with it.

qclabrat

Thanks for bringing me back to practicality. Does anyone have a rental option experience to recommend? I see a RVshare site, but not sure if it is a greater hassle to rent through a personal owner.

ekuhn

Most ambulances are 2wd. So keep that in mind.

Renting is a good way to go. Its like everything else you make an investment in. If its going to be parked more than the maybe once a month its just an expense.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom