NJ Backcountry Skiing Spots????

The Kalmyk

when i lived in Flemington there was an old single run slope. I think it had a stand up lift at one point. It was at the end of Honeyman Dr. Not sure if it is still there.

I believe it ran parallel to Thatchers.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
nah. This is/was about 5m outside main street Flemington. At the cul a sac of honeyman dr. In a neighborhood i lived in moons ago. If its still there then absolutely worth the runs.

there is a powerline run down the mountain - not sure about anything parallel with thatchers. which would also be "down" to honeyman.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
nah. This is/was about 5m outside main street Flemington. At the cul a sac of honeyman dr. In a neighborhood i lived in moons ago. If its still there then absolutely worth the runs.
I rode in Deer Park when I lived out there. There’s probably some potential in them thar hills. Lots of hills and fire road cuts. I’m spoiled being so close to the Sourlands, I’ll would really have to motivate to check it out.

The Kalmyk

there is a powerline run down the mountain - not sure about anything parallel with thatchers. which would also be "down" to honeyman.
Sorry it was weird our mailbox was on Grandin but we were 38 Honeyman. At the end of Grandin is a cul a sac and there us to be a farm behind it. The girl at the farm would pull us up with a four wheeler. No seeing the top whatsoever. May be neighborhoods now but if it isnt, its a long hill

phillychris498

picked up a pair of these sweet bastards thanks to some chatter on this thread...they took some getting used to (in other words, i fell on my arse, HARD, before figuring it out), but they are super fun and a great fat bike trail grooming tool! much success!!!View attachment 152055
View attachment 152056
View attachment 152057
How do you like these? Ive heard of a brand called Monmouth backcountry that makes similar skis that I was really interested in getting.

pygmypony

How do you like these? Ive heard of a brand called Monmouth backcountry that makes similar skis that I was really interested in getting.
yesterday was my first ever day on them, so still very new, but liked them a lot. i grew up on regular old hardshelled boot downhill skis, and a bit of snowboarding...these are definitely more 'telemark' in the technique required to stay stable. i took a super hard spill going down the smallest little drop, felt like my first day again. going out again today to explore the local woods again!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I roped in a few teammates and a couple wildcat jabronis for Snowbowl this morning. It got pretty silly. Pretty bummed I just explored this place... conditions like this don’t come around often and I think this is the last day for it. Definitely beats riding the Tourne again.

pygmypony

update on the local Edison Backcountry skiing!

the glidelites are awesome! super fun!

got out friday and sunday here in the local woods and even managed to make a couple of very rudimentary telemark turns without falling...also made some, um, turns, while falling!

iPm9XTJuTC6XL2VxYiCpLw.jpg

this is the view looking down the steepest run here at Edith Stevens!
NyNJk4R3Tsy22WczR7d3MA.jpg

THATmanMANNY

@pygmypony those skis... what am I looking at?

so if we get some snow tomorrow will Snow Bowl still be good for a day? I was dying to get out there bit did the shoeing with Mrs

any trail tips?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
@pygmypony those skis... what am I looking at?

so if we get some snow tomorrow will Snow Bowl still be good for a day? I was dying to get out there bit did the shoeing with Mrs

any trail tips?
Looks like @pygmypony has the Black Diamond Glidelites. Similar to the Altai Hoks which I have. Another option in the “ski shoe” zone is the Marquette Backcountry Ski. Do some youtube searching on those three and you’ll see how they work and the differences.

Top Bottom