Let’s talk dropper posts

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
FWIW, on @mattybfat's rec, I ordered and installed this yesterday on my Morphine. Price was right and set up simple. Haven't ridden yet but my initial impression is the action (both up and down) is a bit slower than on my KS Lev, although am hoping it speeds up with some use. Will post additional thoughts once it gets some dirt time.
Pump up that post, under the seat clamp. I thought same until I got psi up. Comes
shipped way under recommend psi.

blackburn1973

Pump up that post, under the seat clamp. I thought same until I got psi up. Comes
shipped way under recommend psi.
Gracias! As I'm used to a sealed cartridge I completely spaced that I could add air. Quick search is telling me btwn 230 and 250 psi. That sound right? Thanks again

Valsmere

As mentioned earlier I nabbed a Magura Vyron wireless dropper post. Well yesterday before another snow storm rolled in I did get some ride time in.
So definitely in the plus column is build quality, ease of install and use. There are a few little things that are a concern:
1. boot that covers the on\off switch and charging port on the post itself seems kinda flimsy. I can see that coming off and getting lost on the floor after a while of use. However that depends upon how many times it will be pulled open to access the switch and charging port. It is constructed of a silicone material hence I'm not sure how long it would hold up to being on a mountain bike. I will keep this in my mind to see if a "mod" or "fix" in the future presents itself.
2. The activation switch that mounts on the handle bar uses thick rubber bands to mount it. While easy certainly agree but I'd have like to see a REAL mounting system, especially at this price point. to disclose I did get this on sale from Back Country . com but it still was $300 and change. Anyway I do see the mounting to be very easy. But holding up to the test of time and abuse, not to sure.
3. Activation switch seems pretty solid but again a hard crash I do see a possibility of it getting destroyed and certainly a possibly lost in the brush

One other thing is the delay, I'm going to assume that this one I bought may have been an earlier version there is a longish delay when activating the switch. While I can see this as an issue for younger faster and quicker riders I myself am turning 50 years old HENCE I tend to go a little slower on the trails lol. That being said it will take a bit of getting used to since its not instantaneous as a traditional cable activated dropper.
One thing that stands out is that Magura was thinking ahead and had plans at one time to build a system around this tech the remote switch as per the instructions was to be used to control other systems ie I believe the manual said front and rear suspension systems, maybe? Not sure but if so great forward thinking on their part for future expansion.
I like the idea behind the wireless system and I think it could work in the future as the technology gains (if) momentum and becomes more accepted in our world. I mean look at the Sram AXS system. I think its emerging but pretty cool. I do also believe it needs to be refined and there is room for improvement but it does have merit.
Overall I like it. Is it for everyone? not sure but it is cool and certainly easy to use on more than one bike if the diameter of the posts are the same in your line up of bikes. One note I didn't mention is the weight between the two systems. That I really cant be sure of I believe that's a wash yes you lose a cable but you gain a battery.
I hope this helps some looking at these dropper posts. I will be honest I wouldn't have bought it if I had not stumbled upon the sale these are still a pricey investment to say the least heck the Rockshox Reverb AXS is $800 dollars and this one is between $375-500 and change.
As they say your mileage may very.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
“One other thing is the delay, I'm going to assume that this one I bought may have been an earlier version there is a longish delay when activating the switch.”

That’s a major deal breaker. I haven’t heard AXS having a delay. I’d look into it because it sounds like a flaw. I can’t see how that wouldn’t be seriously annoying on the trail.

Valsmere

“One other thing is the delay, I'm going to assume that this one I bought may have been an earlier version there is a longish delay when activating the switch.”

That’s a major deal breaker. I haven’t heard AXS having a delay. I’d look into it because it sounds like a flaw. I can’t see how that wouldn’t be seriously annoying on the trail.
I do agree with you 100 percent a few on line reviewers said that for themselves it isn't a big deal BUT I certainly can see how this delay is a deal breaker for sure. I'm hoping as time goes on the initial prices start to come down.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
The thing that is intriguing about a AXS Reverb is the ability to run it on multiple bikes without too much hassle. I can’t stomach the price tag right now, especially if it is just for one bike. But if you can buy one post and run it on 2 or 3 bikes then it’s really not that bad...

one piece crank

I'm 30-months on a Specialized Command Post IRcc. I don't know if they still offer dropper posts, but their dropper lever is tops too. Today, at 10deg.F it wouldn't fully extend. last time I played with pressure was May 2020. Got back from my ride, added +/- 1psi and it's back in business!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
The thing that is intriguing about a AXS Reverb is the ability to run it on multiple bikes without too much hassle. I can’t stomach the price tag right now, especially if it is just for one bike. But if you can buy one post and run it on 2 or 3 bikes then it’s really not that bad...
Assuming all your seat tubes match the post diameter.

Kaleidopete

my new Ks eten dropper post took a shit and all leaked out.
I just got it for Christmas and only used it 3 times. so it's like 6 weeks old.
Got it back today with no note or explanation, it just had a tag "repaired"
I installed it and we'll see how it goes. Cost me $15 to send it back to them too. :mad:

Kaleidopete

my rockshock axs dropper recommends servicing every 200 hours of use.
I got mine 10/24/20 and now have 230 hours use, they also say:
Seatpost service kit - 200 hour/1 year service (includes foam ring, topcap assembly, inner sealhead bushing, & o-rings)
I'm having no problems with it, waddaya think? go for the year, or maybe 6 months? I hate to overdo it, but also don't
want problems.

Kaleidopete

Got it back today with no note or explanation, it just had a tag "repaired"
I installed it and we'll see how it goes. Cost me $15 to send it back to them too. :mad:
Update used it today for the first time since it was repaired/rebuilt. it lasted less than an hour and crapped out again. Stays down and won't hold when up.
Boo :mad:

Top Bottom