Let’s talk dropper posts

Ron

Presently have a Fox Transfer Factory dropper post, hydraulic. It is very sluggish in this cold weather. Sometimes it barely moves. I keep the shaft clean and lubed. Wifes bike has a Race Face Aeffect, air, that works all the time, well when the right air pressure is in it.

So I am thinking of switching mine out to something else. What do you use and do you love it?

Ron

Or if you have the same post and love it. Please tell me what lube you use so I can try it?

JDurk

I have a Thomson on my FS XC bike, it's about 4yrs old now. It's expensive and works in the cold. Servicing is done by sending back when needed. Dropper tech has definitely improved over the years. When I replace it, will probably be a PNW or 9point8. Pretty sure 9point8 licensed their tech to Race Face.

sundaydoug

Your Fox post could just need a service. Every post I've used has performed much more admirably in warmer weather than in the cold.

I've had a few KS LEVs on bikes over the years. They're decent posts, but the range of acceptable cable tension is extremely narrow. Meaning if there's slightly too much slack or slightly not enough slack the post doesn't function correctly. This can make them a PIA to set up.

For the last two bikes I've been using an X-Fusion Manic post. Reviews seemed positive and you can't beat the price point. X-Fusion doesn't get much attention nowadays, but I'd put the cost vs. reliability ratio up there against anything else. I think they're $200ish MSRP and I've got 2 solid seasons on mine with absolutely no issues. Highly recommend.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I have a pnw Rainer that has been great (owned it for less than a year though). It is heavy but great in every other aspect. I love the extra drop with the 200mm.

Reactions: Ron

Piston Honda

PNW or nothing. Not sure how good the latest iterations are, but the last gen Raniers have been super reliable for me in all types of conditions. I've replaced a Reverb, KS Lev and a Specialized Command Post with these. The only thing I miss it's the butt slapping action of the Spesh.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just because I'm on the tranz x kick.
For all you PNW fans, tranz x is your maker. In fact they make others too for your name bragging rights. Do some deep digging and you'll find there are only a couple post makers but lots of post brands. Tranz X works as well as PNW of course, I have both, but at a much friendly price point.

Frank

Sasquatch
I have 2 droppers on different bikes, an On One on the Farley and a Reverb AXS on the Bronson. The On One I purchased after discovering the joy of droppers after getting the Bronson. The On One was cheap and works well on the Farley, I think it would work better with a better lever, but that’s another story. Initially the On One was almost as good as the Reverb Stealth that came with the Bronson...but then it was better as I was having a lot of issues with the Reverb and the On One was flawless. But then @jdog saved the day and got me on the AXS and that was yet another game changer. The price point on the AXS would seem to make it a poor choice, but once you go AXS you won’t go back.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For all you PNW fans, tranz x is your maker. In fact they make others too for your name bragging rights. Do some deep digging and you'll find there are only a couple post makers but lots of post brands. Tranz X works as well as PNW of course, I have both, but at a much friendly price point.

Two bikes with $99-$120 trans X droppers. Pretty happy with them. The levers are meh, but whatever.

I should add, I went with the One Up this last time to replace the broken Fox. I'd say it's a nicer/better post than the Trans X, but not drastically so. Much longer travel and parts are cheap and easily serviceable.

Reactions: Ron

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@MadisonDan is asleep on the job again.
Sorry. First time on the interwebs today....
1612056189789.jpeg

It is very sluggish in this cold weather. Sometimes it barely moves. I keep the shaft clean and lubed. Wifes works all the time, when the right pressure is in it.

1612056542946.jpeg

rosceaux

Super helpful... thanks. I've been squirreling away bike upgrade funds after getting a new fork, waiting to get the PNW Pine . I could get the Tranz X dropper and upgrade to either the Loam or WolfTooth lever for less than the price of a PNW Pine alone? Win!

serviceguy

Super helpful... thanks. I've been squirreling away bike upgrade funds after getting a new fork, waiting to get the PNW Pine . I could get the Tranz X dropper and upgrade to either the Loam or WolfTooth lever for less than the price of a PNW Pine alone? Win!
Yes, but can you buy it anywhere? They seem sold out on size 27.2...

Top Bottom