New Essex County

BananaFred

So Essex County is ridiculous and doesn't allow MTB. I have been riding Lewis Morris (i have worked out a 12 mile ride that covers most of it). Recently convinced one of my biking partners to try Wildcat Ridge and we 1) survived and 2) loved it.
2021 Trek x-caliber 8. Replaced the tires with maxis minions and installed dropper post.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Welcome. I was until recently also an Essex “mtb prisoner”. There is places to ride but they fall under fight club rules.
Besides wildcat you may want to check out Mahlon, Stephen’s and allamuchy just a bit further down rt 80. Also high mountain isn’t too far.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome! There is much exploring to be done!!!
Keep pedaling.

BananaFred

Welcome. I was until recently also an Essex “mtb prisoner”. There is places to ride but they fall under fight club rules.
Besides wildcat you may want to check out Mahlon, Stephen’s and allamuchy just a bit further down rt 80. Also high mountain isn’t too
I used to know the trails in South Mountain Reservation but it has been years. I will check out some of the others. I also ride Tourne, which is decent but short.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I used to know the trails in South Mountain Reservation but it has been years. I will check out some of the others. I also ride Tourne, which is decent but short.
I recommend downloading Trailforks to help explore new places.

Cassinonorth

I used to be salty about not being able to ride in Essex but now I don't feel tied down to a handful of local places... There's like 6 awesome parks to ride within 45 minutes of Essex county with a ton of variety.

Welcome!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome,
I live in Union County, which is also anti-mtbing. Fortunately there are a lot of choices outside the county 45min north or south.

Ride on.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whoever made trails like Meriden Trail North has a sick sense of humor. I can't wait to go back. I am pretty sure I voided the warranty for my x-caliber.
It’s common to find broken bike parts all over the blue trail. There’s good stuff on the snake hill side also.
Stevens is really fun and less gnarly if you don’t mind a little more drive. Deer park is another option. Have fun!

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Welcome! Search for essex county in the forums and you'll see there are many efforts to try and legalize mountain biking here... whether South Mountain, Eagle Rock, Mills, Hilltop.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome! Lots of good stuff at Wildcat, check this post for two route suggestions:

Oreland and the unmarked trails on the other side of Green Pond Rd are the tamer stuff.

Meriden Trail North

We call that New Way Down, or New Way Up if you go the wrong way in it.

Top Bottom