Diesel Fans

don

I listened to this podcast today while driving back from PA delivering some old Land Rover body parts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...hicles-mandatory/id1076138916?i=1000504749463

There is some interesting talk about getting old and/or "tuned" diesels running clean with the correct mix of injectors, turbo and pump tune. Smoke is just wasted fuel (Gale Banks has said that in other podcasts) and not doing anyone any favors. It's refreshing to hear that people are working on this for older trucks and looking to end the "roll coal" bullshit.

The roll coal stuff is so stupid. Right there with the ultra loud exhausts. But if it is your thing, whatever. I think a mullet is a better way to gain attention, and possibly more. Also a sweater vest with ponies all over it, but that is for another time or place.

On an unrelated note, it would be nice to never have to use DEF again.

The roll coal stuff is so stupid. Right there with the ultra loud exhausts. But if it is your thing, whatever. I think a mullet is a better way to gain attention, and possibly more. Also a sweater vest with ponies all over it, but that is for another time or place.

On an unrelated note, it would be nice to never have to use DEF again.
Not exhaust related but trucks with crazy high lifts and/or really low profile tires and wheels with negative offset in inches are on my stupid list.

I mind DEF much less now with my current Ram as the pour in is right next to the fuel fill. On the GMC I had previously it was under the hood and towards the back which was a real pain in the ass. As long as the DEF keep the exhaust clean I'm fine with it.

Not exhaust related but trucks with crazy high lifts and/or really low profile tires and wheels with negative offset in inches are on my stupid list.

I mind DEF much less now with my current Ram as the pour in is right next to the fuel fill. On the GMC I had previously it was under the hood and towards the back which was a real pain in the ass. As long as the DEF keep the exhaust clean I'm fine with it.
I concur on both, I also have the RAM and the def is pretty simple. It really only drinks it when I tow anyhow. The mrs. and I drove to Key West and back and didn’t even use a tank of DEF, I guess I am bitter as I miss the diesel exhaust smell I knew as a kid.

Reactions: don
I concur on both, I also have the RAM and the def is pretty simple. It really only drinks it when I tow anyhow. The mrs. and I drove to Key West and back and didn’t even use a tank of DEF, I guess I am bitter as I miss the diesel exhaust smell I knew as a kid.

I totally get it - I have that little Land Rover tdi to give me the sounds and smells of mechanical diesel engine. Even with that LR I wish I could have kept our 7.3 PSD a few years ago - I miss that low end torque and sound of that truck!

Too bad there is no small / med diesel truck in US. I was waiting for Mahindra Motors to bring a small diesel to US Market.

Before buying my Frontier, I looked for an older truck, just to be cool. Poor gas mileage and ability to cruise 80+mph all day were the limited factors.

I had a GMC diesel SUV for a couple years (DEF fill next to the fuel) and one time I kept forgetting to refill and the truck went into limp mode, capping my speed and got slower and slower until i refilled...made that mistake Once lol

Yep! And let’s not forget those “Angry Eyes” grilles. 🙄

• Haha
I had a GMC diesel SUV for a couple years (DEF fill next to the fuel) and one time I kept forgetting to refill and the truck went into limp mode, capping my speed and got slower and slower until i refilled...made that mistake Once lol
Wait a sec - what GMC SUV had a diesel powerplant (save for the 6.2 Detroits in the Blazers and Suburbans)?

We had a few 2000-2010's Suburbans and I really wish I had a diesel when driving them loaded down. Driving up to Vermont for family ski trips it would be changing gears a bunch of times on every hill. On the flip side my diesel trucks have been a pleasure on the highways no matter if I have a trailer or traveling light.

Too bad there is no small / med diesel truck in US. I was waiting for Mahindra Motors to bring a small diesel to US Market.

Before buying my Frontier, I looked for an older truck, just to be cool. Poor gas mileage and ability to cruise 80+mph all day were the limited factors.
I know GM had the mini Duramax in the Canyon/Colorado but they didn't sell well or weren't worth the extra cost. It seems like a small truck with an efficient 4 pot efficient turbo diesel would be a great match. One of those new Rangers with a diesel and manual gearbox would seem to be the perfect mix but what do I know.

BTW - I've heard the Frontiers are great trucks and very durable (and Nissan has the 5 year/100k mile warranty). The Truck Show Podcast recently had someone on that did a million miles in his. https://www.motor1.com/news/396833/million-mile-nissan-frontier-chicago/

Wait a sec - what GMC SUV had a diesel powerplant (save for the 6.2 Detroits in the Blazers and Suburbans)?

We had a few 2000-2010's Suburbans and I really wish I had a diesel when driving them loaded down. Driving up to Vermont for family ski trips it would be changing gears a bunch of times on every hill. On the flip side my diesel trucks have been a pleasure on the highways no matter if I have a trailer or traveling light.
I had this for a couple years...

I had this for a couple years...

Damn - you learn something new everday. That is a nice looking GMC - I love how it has a mini 1500/2500/3500 grille. Way nicer looking than the Chevy version.

I bet those would be a great start for an overland/light off road/car camping rig - over 30mpg, fold flat seats, looks like good inside room and I'm thinking a 31" AT or MT could fit within those wheelwells.

Thanks for sharing!

Damn - you learn something new everday. That is a nice looking GMC - I love how it has a mini 1500/2500/3500 grille. Way nicer looking than the Chevy version.

I bet those would be a great start for an overland/light off road/car camping rig - over 30mpg, fold flat seats, looks like good inside room and I'm thinking a 31" AT or MT could fit within those wheelwells.

Thanks for sharing!
The AT-4 version of the Acadia may happen- it’s not as high or burly but definitely a step in the direction GM should be going.1610287900301.jpeg

I don’t think I’ll buy another diesel. First, I simply cannot even “load” the motor enough in everyday use. And second, when I keep vehicles for 15+ years it’s just too much emissions complexity to make it worth it,.

I still have my 2003 TDI Jetta wagon, and man does it offer that diesel exhaust smell!

Back
Top Bottom