BIYF Winter 2020-2021: Go Zwift or Go Home!!!!

it can't be very hard, probably need to apply for a token, and sign that you are using it for research and abide by their TOS -

From using some of the downstream stuff (veloviewer) - i know you can't circumvent their privacy stuff (ie make your own flyby)
and users have to opt in - they provide authentication.

another thing might be to create a collection of chrome extensions - i wrote a bookmarklet to do biyf a bunch of years back.

No hablo Ingles

1/22
2:26 + dark = 3.5 points

Wanted to see what's at the end of the Middlesex Greenway. Looks like there's something there, but overgrown. Didn't feel like going through it so had to find another route.
View attachment 149566

Haven't seen an S13 in a while, let alone one with this much work done. Floor mat is custom NISMO.
View attachment 149567
i dug up my strava from when i bushwhacked through to hopelawn...this is the bridge over rte 440

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 10.45.17 AM.png

1/22
1:48 plus trail marker bonus
1611330621412.png

A1A327C6-262F-4C15-B0DE-DD807782430E.jpeg

Pretty awesome ride today, did this exact same loop 10 days ago, but I did it 12 minutes faster today ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In honor of the guy that the above trail marker is named for, here'a brief article about him and the purchase of some of his land by the state:

Basically, he made a lot of money and used it to buy tons of land around his home to protect and preserve it. At the end of his life, he worked with the state and township to sell the majority of his land to them to make sure it would remain undeveloped and preserved for future generations. He sold it for considerably less than he could have gotten from developers that would have destroyed the natural beauty of the land with condos and a golf course.

When you crossed over 440, was there something impeding your way or you just had enough and turned around?
there's a clearing there that was sort of like a squatters village...i got the heebie jeebies and turned around!

you can see it here on google maps satellite...i think @jimvreeland may have taken this all the way to rte 35 in the past...but he's braved subzero temps in alaskan frozen tundra, so a little sketchiness in perth amboy is nothing for him...

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 11.18.22 AM.png

Coppermine is a great climb and is a bit unique as it has that kicker to start, which is good to work on recovering while keeping the pace up. Many of the hills around us ramp up at the end. I see you can down Old Georgetown, which is another good hill. You could descend or climb 518 if you wanted to add another climb up without doing a "repeat".

Herrontown Road from River Road, Mt Lucas Road from Princeton Ave are good low grade consistent efforts, not far from you for when you don't have time to hit the Sourlands...
I created this segment if you want 2 climbs there. Dang I had the KOM for awhile!

https://www.strava.com/segments/5476235

there's a clearing there that was sort of like a squatters village...i got the heebie jeebies and turned around!

you can see it here on google maps satellite...i think @jimvreeland may have taken this all the way to rte 35 in the past...but he's braved subzero temps in alaskan frozen tundra, so a little sketchiness in perth amboy is nothing for him...

View attachment 149578

It basically ends at the homeless village. There's maybe 50 foot of trail to the road. Head down and pedal!! Then you go over the 35 bridge and it puts you on the beach in South Amboy.

1/22
two rides today = 3 bonus dark = 1 bonus trail markers = 2; finishing up my 5 total
total points today = 6

An all-biking morning for me, for the most part. Woke up early, so blasted out for a darky dark.
Then met up with @jimvreeland , to grab my new front wheel - thanks Jim, you rock!!!

IMG_1316.JPG

so, since I'm already practically at Tingley, off I go. practically run @pygmypony off the road in South Plainfield, then run in to him, literally, at the trailhead. quick loop in Joe's Woods with the man himself:

IMG_1315.JPG

across the trax, after waiting for the longest freight train in NJ:

IMG_1313.JPG

made a few solo loops in Edith, then lost the trail, again, trying to get back....
all good, eventually. got back in time to work the MS Teams, Webex, and emails til I choke.

1.png

2.png

Ride On!

Coppermine is a great climb and is a bit unique as it has that kicker to start, which is good to work on recovering while keeping the pace up. Many of the hills around us ramp up at the end. I see you can down Old Georgetown, which is another good hill. You could descend or climb 518 if you wanted to add another climb up without doing a "repeat".

Herrontown Road from River Road, Mt Lucas Road from Princeton Ave are good low grade consistent efforts, not far from you for when you don't have time to hit the Sourlands...
I've road all 3 off Canal in both directions. Was a little cold last night doing 25mph in the dark.

Been up Herrontown, not so much Mt Lucas. I need to plan out a good loop.

1/22/2021
Zwift 1 hour = .5 points

Man all you outdoor bonus riders racking up the points, I am getting dropped lower in the rankings faster than getting dropped on a group ride.
Getting killed at work anyway so would not have been outside riding much this week - at least thats what I am trying to convince myself is the case.

One more week indoors and then I guess I will kick it back into gear for February.

Cant wait to see who claims the lowest temp bonus this weekend - maybe that can be a spot bonus @stb222 ?

1611344194688.png

1/22/21
1-hr = 1pt
3 signs = 3pts
total 4pts

IMG_5035.JPG

first stop colonial park. i thought there would be some more oppurtunities for some signs in colonial park, but not so much. interestingly enough you can ride across the bridge from other direction.

IMG_5032.jpg

Then back onto the towpath, but not a towpath sign, an eastcoast greenway sign. only 1989 miles to key west from amwell road.

IMG_5033.jpg

continued south on the towpath and went over to 6 mile. 1 car in the canal road lot. 3 cars in the jacque lane lot. people must be getting the message.

IMG_5034.jpg

into the wind for the ride home.
sign bonus is complete.

It would appear at least 4 people can’t (or won’t) read. Or they just DGAF. We need to re-start the public shaming.

edit: why are the lots open if the park is closed?

Back
Top Bottom