What have you done to your bike today?

GX is for peasants, it doesn't even come in Rainbow!!
DAMNIT! I knew you’d say that. 😆 Only paid $150 (new), which I thought was too good a deal not to give the bigger GX cassette a try. Can’t see spending double that to save a few grams.

And if anyone is curious, yes the bigger gear works well with an older style derailleur (in my case XO1).
:thumbsup:

And for the record rainbow is for peasants. Copper is the now.

And if anyone is curious, yes the bigger gear works well with an older style derailleur (in my case XO1) :thumbsup:

Interesting and good to know.

I thought that only the AXS derailleur was capable of working with the 50t or 52t cassette. Perhaps your X01 derailleur is marked 520% and isn’t the 500% version.

Interesting and good to know.

I thought that only the AXS derailleur was capable of working with the 50t or 52t cassette. Perhaps your X01 derailleur is marked 520% and isn’t the 500% version.
Hmm 🤔 I’m pretty sure 50T is standard for all 12 speed Eagle derailleurs. As far as 52T goes, SRAM says it’s only supposed to be used with the new derailleur but there are plenty of YouTube videos showing it works with the older ones ... as long as it’s 12 speed GX Eagle or better.

Hmm 🤔 I’m pretty sure 50T is standard for all 12 speed Eagle derailleurs. As far as 52T goes, SRAM says it’s only supposed to be used with the new derailleur but there are plenty of YouTube videos showing it works with the older ones ... as long as it’s 12 speed GX Eagle or better.
Thanks for the tip. Good news to me (for future cassette replacement if needed) as I have an X01 500% derailleur on my new bike. 👍

And put the Dia-Compe MX1000 brakes from my old BMX bike on eBay. So far it looks like they will sell for a reasonable price.
And the craziness of eBay continues. The brakes sold for $204.50. :oops: FWIW, the set I copied off to make my own listing was the same brakes with a BIN price of $79.99 plus shipping.
I'm stunned. Happy - no doubt. But still stunned...
And with that, the Megatower is definitely getting a set of Cane Creek eeWings. :cool:

And the craziness of eBay continues. The brakes sold for $204.50. :oops: FWIW, the set I copied off to make my own listing was the same brakes with a BIN price of $79.99 plus shipping.
I'm stunned. Happy - no doubt. But still stunned...
And with that, the Megatower is definitely getting a set of Cane Creek eeWings. :cool:

Very cool! I have already built one complete bike from scratch, financed by old-school BMX parts. Now I'm reconsidering the rest of my stash...

Last edited:
I've been playing at the brake squeak game for some time now. Seems like every other day, or at least three times a week I'm removing my pads and cleaning them and cleaning the rotors and calipers. Today I tried the purify by fire approach on the pads. We'll see on tomorrows ride. My process has usually been sand blast the pads and clean rotors and everything with 70% isopropanol. It doesn't seem to matter the brake pad brand either Shimano, Gekors, Top Break, Hardhead, I've tried many.
I remember at one point I put new rotors (Galfer Wave) and new pads and it lasted for a very short wile with no squeak. A while ago I removed the rotors and sandblasted them and cleaned. Put in new pads and I rode squeakless for four miles, then it started again. Both front and rear, the front are the worst. This isn't just a small squeak, this is a wake the dead screech. Brakes will continually howl on a 200 foot downhill the whole time. I've washed and cleaned the calipers too. Guess I'll just keep playing with it, but like I said today was my purify by fire approach, got 'em red hot and they did smoke a little. We'll see.
Purify by fire has seemed to do the most good of anything I've tried in the past.
Brakes were quiet for at least 12 miles. Then just a little peep. Wet is still a small problem,
but they are better now than they have been in a long time. First squeeze and a small squeal,
then after that they're good for a few miles, then it's rinse and repeat

Put the SS El Mariachi on a diet, it's not back being fully operational and down to 24 lbs 14 oz. I don't think it can get any lighter, considering handlebars, cranks and seat post are carbon.

Since I had the scale out I weighted the Mukluk (30 lbs) and the Fugitive (34 lbs 1 oz) as well...

Me...not ready for that yet!

Put the SS El Mariachi on a diet, it's not back being fully operational and down to 24 lbs 14 oz. I don't think it can get any lighter, considering handlebars, cranks and seat post are carbon.

Since I had the scale out I weighted the Mukluk (30 lbs) and the Fugitive (34 lbs 1 oz) as well...

Me...not ready for that yet!
What kind of dropper post did you get that's carbon and also available in 27.2mm?

Had a warranty frame that needed to be destroyed, so salvaged a piece.
PXL_20210112_022736616.jpg

PXL_20210112_022923162.jpg

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried doing a DIY "Hall lock" or B tension lockout on a SRAM or Shimano rear derailleur? Some information here:

The idea, as it sounds, is to lock out the B tension motion of the derailleur when you're riding to avoid it clunking around. The new TRP derailleurs have this built in. The main downside would seem to be that you run slightly more risk of rear derailleur damage if it hits something because it doesn't have as much freedom to move out of the way.

Purify by fire has seemed to do the most good of anything I've tried in the past.
Brakes were quiet for at least 12 miles. Then just a little peep. Wet is still a small problem,
but they are better now than they have been in a long time. First squeeze and a small squeal,
then after that they're good for a few miles, then it's rinse and repeat
That's the answer! I have the squeal back today, removed pads, purify with fire on the inner pad, nothing.
Purify with fire on the outer pad and smoked like a sum btch! That's it, fluid is seeping onto the pad from
the caliper. Not much, just enough to get 'em wet. Now, to see if I can warrantee them, they were new 9/19/2019.
and have a two year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom