Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

jackx

Totally. To start though expecting to go from a heavy drinker to 0 ever again is a daunting and almost impossible (and sometimes dangerous) task. Letting go of drinking is a huge commitment...I still don't think I'll never drink again in my life. Just today...we'll see what happens 10 years from now. Not worried about it.

It actually is a terrifying thought in the back of my mind actually, if I threw away my 849 days, I'm not sure how long it would take me to come back to not drinking. It would definitely feel like a huge letdown.

Once someone goes back to day zero, what motivates them to restart, and not keep putting it off for 1 more day...1 more day...

Not sure if there are still physical "chips" of some sort, but I would bet that a 100 day or 1 year "chip" is more meaningful than a bunch of 30 day chips from multiple starts/stops.

849 days is a huge accomplishment, so congratulations on your amazing commitment!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Respect to those who had/have trouble controlling the alcohol. I come from an alcoholic family so I can empathize. Fortunately for me it's probably the reason I never really drank much in my teens and through college. I had other vises that got out of hand. Marriage and kids pulled me away from those troubles. 💙

This pandemic and political climate is what drew me to alcohol. That and the "What beer are you drinking right now" thread! Kidding ...sorta. To digress somewhat, you should seek another outlet to distract you from wanting a drink. I know it's easier said than done but I've started watching shows with my kids and drinking tea. I make it a ritual. 7:30pm - my son sets up the Roku TV and I boil water for my tea. We've gotten through Harry Potter so far and have now started the Mandalorian. Next up is Cobra Kai. I've established a new "habit" and it's working so far.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I had posted in another thread how I stopped, slowed down at the time, due to health reasons. Then the extra weight started to come off so that was an added benefit.
However in November, I was drinking with my brother and we had too many like we always do. My sister in law had to pick us up and his 12 year old daughter said to my sister, "Uncle Jude wasn't as bad as he usually is, he was just upset he couldn't find his keys."
Wasn't as bad as he usually is. That struck a cord; with 10 nephews and nieces I was not leaving a good impression on their young minds. None of us were because that behavior she witnessed was when we were all together. By all I mean 5 of us siblings so it gets rowdy. I've never had a problem not drinking, it's stopping once I start. I had thought binge drinking was what I did at parties when younger, I was always "that guy" who would inevitably do something stupid. There is a long line of alcoholics on both sides of my family, addictive personalities in general. I stopped using prescription pills 17 years ago(although I got addicted after a car accident when I was prescribed Vicodin ES) stopped all drugs around the same time actually. Waking up with days of activity unaccounted for and seeing friends OD did it for me. 14 years ago I quit smoking, started hitting the gym and haven't looked back.
I haven't drank since that night in November, thought this was a thread about the weather until 5 minutes ago.
TL;DR I'm in.

Last edited:

the schwartz

982 days (I had to look it up). I still have my health, my family, a job, my license, my life...

For those that don't feel like it's cheating, I've enjoyed finding some interesting and unique bitters and adding then to seltzer. It is alcohol but very minute amounts. YMMV

I'm also deep down a loose tea rabbit-hole. Some really cool smokey teas out there, it's not Laphroaig but hey. Glad to share some recommendations @a.s.

rosceaux

Last night I grilled cajun salmon. I always have a beer with it. In fact, my oldest son (14) asked me if I wanted him to get one for me. I said "no" and then explained Dry January to him and my other son (14). I tried not to sound too after-school-special about it, but I probably did repeat a lot of things they've heard in health class. Don't need it... improved health... better judgement.... friends and family who value me without drinking.... It ended up being a nice conversation.

It's not too often that I get to be an example instead of a warning.

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
982 days (I had to look it up). I still have my health, my family, a job, my license, my life...

For those that don't feel like it's cheating, I've enjoyed finding some interesting and unique bitters and adding then to seltzer. It is alcohol but very minute amounts. YMMV

I'm also deep down a loose tea rabbit-hole. Some really cool smokey teas out there, it's not Laphroaig but hey. Glad to share some recommendations @a.s.
Yes, please do. Could it be, I replace my beer fridge with a tea cabinet?
Let's not get crazy now. :gangster: 12 days. Had two good nights of sleep. Whoop Whoop!

the schwartz

Yes, please do. Could it be, I replace my beer fridge with a tea cabinet?
Let's not get crazy now. :gangster: 12 days. Had two good nights of sleep. Whoop Whoop!
16104670837123204499507410540159.jpg1610467173902903375939853210288.jpg16104671938286167774628500079983.jpg

Crazy? MUAAHAHahahahahaha 🤣

This is my new favorite:

Cassinonorth

I had a crisis about N/A beers but it's so miniscule, it's about the same as bread or vanilla extract. I even tried having 6 in a night to see if I could even crack .01% BAC. Nope. Just peed a ton.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
If you tell me I have to give up bread I’m blocking you.

It's not easy haven't had bread in the house for 3 years. With my son being allergic to wheat can't have it around. I still eat it but just not at home, happy my son doesn't like buns with hotdogs.

Someone please send me candy I'm weak

Shaggz

A strong 7
I started on the 4th. Then drank 2 of these the day of the attempted coup:

20210106_191922.jpg

Stopped again, and this is the trend. At this rate, I may be dead after 31 days.

Screenshot_20210112-131619_Fitbit.jpg

I am sleeping more soundly, but am a little more irritable. I guess that's what happens when you self medicate. I have baseline BP and weight numbers, and am looking forward to seeing the results early February. In retrospect, I did not realize how much my alcohol consumption increased since March 13th. I slowed down on wine, but increased brown spirits and big beers (damn you @jmanic ).

Top Bottom