Is this America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
On a sort of related note, I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 recently and I found it to be a pretty good movie. This movie also sheds some light on what @UtahJoe was saying - shit was way way way worse back then. The reality of the cell phone renders that scenario impossible these days. There's no way law enforcement would go hog wild on protestors with that many cell phones around.
I was thinking last night along with all of the other problems in the 70s....there was something else that I have totally forgotten about....Like when i was a kid in the 80s....anyone remember being in fear of nuclear war? I remember in 5th or 6th grade maybe reading the book z for zachariah and it scaring the shit of me....well along with watching movies like the terminator, and mad max..etc...I mean this WAS pop culture at the time because the world was obsessed with us heading towards the apocalypse....My god, today the president of the US and the president of Russia can tweet at each other and text....Go read what it was like for them to communicate during the cuban missile crisis.....I remember being told over and over again as a kid that i can die in a blinding white flash at any moment...and nuclear winter and where my nearest fallout shelter was.....and im a child of the 80s, I cant imagine how my worse it was for those of you who are older than me. Point being, some idiots storming the capitol building hasnt given me this feeling like we are witnessing the end of days.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking last night along with all of the other problems in the 70s....there was something else that I have totally forgotten about....Like when i was a kid in the 80s....anyone remember being in fear of nuclear war? I remember in 5th or 6th grade maybe reading the book z for zachariah and it scaring the shit of me....well along with watching movies like the terminator, and mad max..etc...I mean this WAS pop culture at the time because the world was obsessed with us heading towards the apocalypse....My god, today the president of the US and the president of Russia can tweet at each other and text....Go read what it was like for them to communicate during the cuban missile crisis.....I remember being told over and over again as a kid that i can die in a blinding white flash at any moment...and nuclear winter and where my nearest fallout shelter was.....and im a child of the 80s, I cant imagine how my worse it was for those of you who are older than me. Point being, some idiots storming the capitol building hasnt given me this feeling like we are witnessing the end of days.

What you were saying is accurate, but that was 40 years ago. You would like to think that us as a human race and society especially in this country, has evolved beyond worrying about things like a civil war.

roc

I was born in 68, I remember drills where we got under our desk in case of a nuclear attack, like that was going to help. I also do remember being afraid of a nuclear attack, I guess that has been replaced by active shooter drills for my kids. Man, it’s always something.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

You are dead to me for not referencing the single greatest Cold War movie of all time. Red Dawn.

ebarker9

What you were saying is accurate, but that was 40 years ago. You would like to think that us as a human race and society especially in this country, has evolved beyond worrying about things like a civil war.

And the person fomenting this nonsense has the unilateral ability to create "nuclear winter". Not suggesting that he is so unstable that this is likely. But I'm certainly not comfortable with that fact either.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I was born in 68, I remember drills where we got under our desk in case of a nuclear attack, like that was going to help. I also do remember being afraid of a nuclear attack, I guess that has been replaced by active shooter drills for my kids. Man, it’s always something.
Active shooter drills for today's kids are so much more real. When we were hiding under desks none of us thought it would ever happen. My son went through HS knowing who the most likely shooter in his class was. Also got to see it happen over and over on TV and social media.

Cassinonorth

On a sort of related note, I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 recently and I found it to be a pretty good movie. This movie also sheds some light on what @UtahJoe was saying - shit was way way way worse back then. The reality of the cell phone renders that scenario impossible these days. There's no way law enforcement would go hog wild on protestors with that many cell phones around.

That was a solid movie. Didn't get super Sorkin in the dialogue thankfully. I can barely watch The Newsroom because the characters are all so god damn witty.

roc

Active shooter drills for today's kids are so much more real. When we were hiding under desks none of us thought it would ever happen. My son went through HS knowing who the most likely shooter in his class was. Also got to see it happen over and over on TV and social media.
I guess you’re right, and now they have virtual school, tough time to be a kid.

Reactions: don

roc

Jesus Christ.....and you know I even own this t-shirt....major fail by me....I remember asking my dad if you could really pee into a radiator.
View attachment 148008
That was a great movie, loved it when I saw it. It was on cable all the time not too long ago, i always got sucked in. my son loves Magyver and magnum, I loved the originals when I was his age, watched an old one not too long ago, man it was horrible. I can’t believe how much I liked those shows and they are unwatchable to me now.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I AGREE with @soulchild .

If these criminals who were members of a mob had been black do you honestly think that they would have been just permitted to walk away from looting the Capitol? Seriously, @rick81721 Do you believe that would have been the case?

View attachment 147971

"When the looting starts, the shooting starts" tweeted ur Idiot-

There has never been a conflict-free time in human history, and likely never will be. In the future (if our species lives that long), we'll be fighting over land on the moon and Mars (moon conflict isn't too far off). All life on Earth evolved in conflict, from the tiniest microorganism to lions, chimps, and US. Go ride your bike, live, and don't worry about it.

You are dead to me for not referencing the single greatest Cold War movie of all time. Red Dawn.
The greatest Cold War movie spawned one of the worst reboots of all time. They should have left it alone.

soulchild

Where do some of you come up with this idea that the assault on the Capitol is not that big of a deal? How successful could they have really been? This isn’t as bad as X. It’s alright because they were only protesting like any other protest. GTFOH with all of the bullshit. So now there are shades of grey of what is patriotic and what is terrorism?

These people stormed a fucking United States goverment building with United States goverment officials inside. They vandalized and stole goverment property and documents. They killed a GD police officer.

FUCK YOU AND YOUR HYPOCRISY.

soulchild

I was asked if I thought the woman who was killed deserved to die. I did some research and I also saw the video of her being shot. I hate the practice of victim blaming so I will refrain from sharing my thoughts on the individual in question.

So Rick, do I think the domestic terrorist who (alongside an angry armed mob) stormed into the United States Capitol building occupied by the members of the United States House of Representatives, the United States Senate, and the Vice President of the United States, attempting to break through the final barrier of the corridor between herself and government officials (including the Vice President of the United States) while ignoring the armed secret service and Capitol police on the other side of said barrier ordering her (them) to stand down deserve to die?

Yes, she did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom