Is this America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't understand why its so palatable to defend the worst of those who share your view, they're weak links.

This also puzzles me.

Bill Cosby was the father of American sitcom TV for how many years. Everyone loved him until it turned out that he was a pig. Now he sits in jail and the whole of society has turned against him.

This never happens with politicians. You can be a child molester that rapes baby seals before clubbing them to death and people will defend it.

ebarker9

No of course not. There was no way these clowns could have accomplished any of that nonsense. Hey remember in 2018 when leftist protesters stormed the senate Hart building? 🙄

Leftist=People protesting family border separation policy. Is that really leftist? Is that where we are?
Stormed=peacefully walked in and sat down.

As to whether or not the idiots yesterday had the ability to "seize power":

-The stopped the US Congress from performing their electoral college responsibilities
-The put the lives of all of those serving in Congress at grave risk.
-Their stated purpose (if it's possible to nail down a singular message from the sea of morons) was to "stop the steal". Otherwise known as prevent the lawful transition of power. When you're doing that via a security gate used as a battering ram against the doors to the chambers of Congress...yeah, I'm cool with using the term "insurrection".

mfennell

Leftist=People protesting family border separation policy. Is that really leftist? Is that where we are?
Right? Well known social liberal (snicker) Pope Francis condemned that policy.

The nutjobs yesterday were streaming through a window they broke. That's storming. If I had been asked yesterday, it would have been hard to imagine that situation ending any other way than a lot of dead bodies. Noone even laid a finger on them. Why not? I guess it's just one of those mysteries...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
This also puzzles me.

Bill Cosby was the father of American sitcom TV for how many years. Everyone loved him until it turned out that he was a pig. Now he sits in jail and the whole of society has turned against him.

This never happens with politicians. You can be a child molester that rapes baby seals before clubbing them to death and people will defend it.

I think the issue is people are fans of politicians. I've never seen an obama, bush or clinton flag. I have a satirical bill clinton shirt and some campaign shirts, but I don't wear that shit on the regular.

Back to the fans, if the jets suck people still love them that's their team and blah blah blah. People paying that loyalty to anything is stupid but paying it to politicians beyond that. They should work for you once it's the other way we get what we have yesterday.

Xler8

The greatest enemy of mankind is man himself/herself. American greed is strong and has a foothold. There are only two real privileges: political privilege and rich privilege. Don’t kid yourself and think these privileged people are willing to do what’s good for the long term nor what’s good for many.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the issue is people are fans of politicians.

Politicians are generally rated as low as ever in terms of how much people trust them. I mean like 60-75% of people say they do not trust politicians to look out for their interests. I voted for Biden, but I do I think he has my best interests at heart? I'll say...maybe. He seems like a genuinely good person. Carter was a genuinely good person too. He was not an especially great president.

However, as of Jan 20, 2021, the Democrats will control the Oval Office and both sides of Congress. The next 2 years things should get done. Do I have high hopes? LOL...no. I have 0 expectations and hope I'm pleasantly surprised. I would like to cede from the role of Alfred E Newman on the world stage.

-YETI-

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.58.17 AM.png

“I know we’re all excited to be here, this is quite a magnificent structure. Did you know the building has 658 windows? If you look up to the second floor you can see some of the Senators donning their escape hoods before making their break through secret tunnels in the basement. Please hold all questions until the end.”⁠

soulchild

No of course not. There was no way these clowns could have accomplished any of that nonsense. Hey remember in 2018 when leftist protesters stormed the senate Hart building? 🙄

So I'm curious, do you think that this gentleman and his counterparts who broke into the US Capitol building armed with firearms and pipe bombs should be held less accountable because they were unsuccessful in "accomplishing any of that nonsense" vs had they successfully shot, blown up, or taken anyone hostage?

capitol1.jpeg

Last edited:

Fire Lord Jim

I was splitting logs in the woods and got a phone call telling me what was happening at the Capitol. I looked at the stock prices, and saw that the markets considered this a non-event. I went back to splitting wood.

I try to compare this to the other "mostly peaceful protests" and find this one more peaceful. No burning. No shots fired by protesters. People trying to use force to get what they can't achieve politically. My daughter tells me this is totally different, because this time republicans are doing it. Hmm..

I try to imagine myself in Concord, MA in April 1775. A mob of protesters stormed the government. Shots were fired. The government tried to put down this insurrection, but ultimately failed. And here we are. In revolutionary times, only about a third of the population supported the patriots. They had decided the evils were unsufferable, and reached the part about their right and duty to replace the government. Another third were pro government, and the last third, (mostly German and Dutch), tried to be Swiss and remain neutral. In hindsight for 1775, it is easy to proclaim where I would have fallen in, but I suspect the closer to Concord Bridge, the harder that choice would be.

Yesterday's actors were unsuccessful. The insurrection was put down. They will be labeled a mob and not freedom fighters. Their lives, fortunes and sacred honors hinged on their success. And since it did not last long, I don't have to contemplate which third I would join. But what if they had succeeded?

Reactions: don

serviceguy

He seems like a genuinely good person.

Just a quick observation.

The first rule of a con artist is to deceive and look the exact opposite of what he/she/them is/are, as proven by the fact that my mum just dodged a con attempt from someone that was supposed to be a 'friend', desperate times I suppose.

In my view politicians of all sides are rated just below con artists. I prefer to look at their record and what they've said and done, for what is possible given my limited intelligence abilities and not delegating the interpretation of what they're saying to the media, singers, actors and the usual parade.

That said, while I never liked the way Trump presented himself, I really can't see how you came to that conclusion about Biden.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really can't see how you came to that conclusion about Biden.

Nothing I say will change your opinion on this matter, so I would say we'll just have different opinions on the guy.

My daughter tells me this is totally different, because this time republicans are doing it.

I think this one is different because they broke into the Capitol building. Look at the image @soulchild posted above your post. If that were a black man there would be throngs of people calling for his execution, that he should have been shot on sight. In reality, if that guy above had been black he'd be dead today. I have little doubt about that.

I will cede the point that it appears no damage was done. If this had been during the summer I would agree that the Capitol would likely have been totally destroyed.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A deep dive into the protests over the summer and this will show the 2 completely different standards used against a mostly white group and a mostly non white group of protesters. There is no arguing that the shit that happened yesterday was just the latest example of double standards.

Trump used tear gas on peaceful protesters for a fucking photo op.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You may have left out the ability to select what you (impersonal) read...
There’s just not enough time to dissect the whole thing. I’m multitasking (unsuccessfully) on a conference call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom