What have you done to your bike today?

Maybe I should start a thread of what did you booger up today on your bike. I will flat out confess that I'm THAT guy that tries something, makes the problem worse then goes to the local shop. Not because I'm cheap but because they are so backed up.

Some know that I crossthreaded my rear derailleur the other day only to find out the hangers are out of stock globally. Luckily a tap in from the back resolved that problem. So then, I don't know why, but I get this brilliant idea of using red loctite to mount my axs X01 new derailleur. Woke up in the middle of night cursing as I run to the garage, grab some brake cleaner which dissolves the loctite and I'm able to get it off with no damage.

Then today during a conf call I put on the chain. I have no idea how I manage to bugger that up but every time I put the masterlink on I seem to get one end right so go through the 3 pack of masterlinks I have. So far everything I've touched I have buggered up.

Guess I'm just one of those morons with more money than skills or brains but it ain't due to an overflow of cash just extra week on the thinking and skill part. I can make a wicked spreadsheet though

Maybe I should start a thread of what did you booger up today on your bike. I will flat out confess that I'm THAT guy that tries something, makes the problem worse then goes to the local shop. Not because I'm cheap but because they are so backed up.

Some know that I crossthreaded my rear derailleur the other day only to find out the hangers are out of stock globally. Luckily a tap in from the back resolved that problem. So then, I don't know why, but I get this brilliant idea of using red loctite to mount my axs X01 new derailleur. Woke up in the middle of night cursing as I run to the garage, grab some brake cleaner which dissolves the loctite and I'm able to get it off with no damage.

Then today during a conf call I put on the chain. I have no idea how I manage to bugger that up but every time I put the masterlink on I seem to get one end right so go through the 3 pack of masterlinks I have. So far everything I've touched I have buggered up.

Guess I'm just one of those morons with more money than skills or brains but it ain't due to an overflow of cash just extra week on the thinking and skill part. I can make a wicked spreadsheet though
1. Contrary to what the manufacturer will tell you; you can totally use a master link more than once.

2. Don’t put red loctite on a $700 derailleur, lol.

Hmm, good to know about master links. Luckily I'm sure I can fetch a few out of the recycling bin since it was almost empty. Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking about the loctite. Sometimes with me it's like watching a bad movie that just keeps getting worse and you eventually realize your soda is leaking and you sat in gum.

Hmm, good to know about master links. Luckily I'm sure I can fetch a few out of the recycling bin since it was almost empty. Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking about the loctite. Sometimes with me it's like watching a bad movie that just keeps getting worse and you eventually realize your soda is leaking and you sat in gum.
Pretty much anytime I fix something on my bike I break ten other things in the process so I feel you, lol.

I've cross threaded plenty of stuff. I just don't mention it on the web :D

Please don’t:
-ever change
-stop trying
-stop posting

For real, you’re not doing anything any of us haven’t done*, we just don’t post it.

*maybe not that loctite thing

Yup. In for this full series. On Netflix soon?

BTW I’ll be your red loctite sponsor. Just LMK where to send it.

PS. Please buy a kayak.

What is this thing with red Loctite not to be used? I use that s$$t on everything! It's not really 'permanent' and I would guess that brake fluid would do more damage than red locate.

on loctite, blue is considered removable red is considered permanent (not that it cant be removed, its just alot harder and typically has to be burned out :/

i use blue on bike stuff, and keep red around for other uses, would not recommend for bikes.

I've made TONS of mistakes over the years, though I've generally solved them on my own with more time and $s. Nothing against an LBS and I use them occasionally, but I like to understand how things work and have the ability to fix my own bike.

My latest foray was into replacing sealed bearings on a rear hub. The hub is a POS Formula OEM model and the LBS fix lasted only a few hundred miles. When I pulled out the axle, the bearings basically were disintegrated and it was hard to tell what went where. Of course, I neglected to record the order I removed the parts off the axle. Took hours (hours!) of internet searching and some measuring, but I determined the proper order on the axle - actually made a ton of sense after the fact - and the correct bearing size. All good now.

Did you know that you can use a cement anchor as a blind bearing puller? Thought that was pretty cool and cheap. Now I have a whole box.

What is this thing with red Loctite not to be used? I use that s$$t on everything! It's not really 'permanent' and I would guess that brake fluid would do more damage than red locate.

If you look at Henkel's literature, the various colors are coded for specifically sized fasteners (or, really, how firmly it fills the gaps), for approximately the same relative holding power. If you use a higher grade for something that is too small, destructive removal is pretty much the only solution. IIRC, in order of strength it is purple->green->blue->red. Red also adds the requirement for heat to break the bond on removal. Of course, you can remove a fastener that has had red loctite on it without heat, but you risk damage to the fastener head, the fastener threads, or the threaded hole/nut, in order of likelihood.

For real, you’re not doing anything any of us haven’t done*, we just don’t post it.

*maybe not that loctite thing

I've been on the verge of tears fixing my bike in the past. I'm much better because of it.

dude-suckin-at-something-is-the-first-step-to-being-43488680.png

Back
Top Bottom