Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

Getting my legs back under me, rode 1 hour (1 lap forwards/backwards) at Huber today. Few puddles anywhere that they matter--some on Browns Dock if you use it to turn around, a few on the Many-Log side on the quasi-fireroad that are always there unless it is scorching hot/freezing, and a couple of wet-ish spots on the low bits near the Claypit connector.

I appreciate the 'new' logover on Many Log (this was a hanger a month ago, I think?)...good spot, easy to get over if you want, but just high enough that you need to work if you want to maintain momentum...two thumbs up.

Getting my legs back under me, rode 1 hour (1 lap forwards/backwards) at Huber today. Few puddles anywhere that they matter--some on Browns Dock if you use it to turn around, a few on the Many-Log side on the quasi-fireroad that are always there unless it is scorching hot/freezing, and a couple of wet-ish spots on the low bits near the Claypit connector.

I appreciate the 'new' logover on Many Log (this was a hanger a month ago, I think?)...good spot, easy to get over if you want, but just high enough that you need to work if you want to maintain momentum...two thumbs up.
Did a quick loop yesterday. Did you notice how the horses started using the hiker/biker side of that really bad mud section and now the whole thing is trash? SMH

Did a quick loop yesterday. Did you notice how the horses started using the hiker/biker side of that really bad mud section and now the whole thing is trash? SMH

I noticed that the 'boardwalk' doesn't really do anything at one end anymore. That said, it's really just a fact of life at this point that horse riders use that side of Huber (almost exclusively...). I suspect it will take a horse breaking its leg for county to take any remediation steps. Given how soft the ground there is now at the end of Summer, I can't imagine it is going to get any better.

I did a loop through Huber and over Hartshorne today. The Monmouth County Parks maintenance department must of just went out before me with their sand spreading machine because there was a fresh inch or so of sand everywhere. :)

My stock 2.25s aren't bad but thinking 2.5 or 2.6 might be worth the $.

As of this afternoon the normal wet spots in huber and harts were, well, wetter.

Today I broke my cherry on the "water tower" descent on the upper part of grand tour. Holy moly that first drop after the road crossing is a duesey.

2.5 maxis dhfs show up next week. Will be an interesting experiment.

As of this afternoon the normal wet spots in huber and harts were, well, wetter.

Today I broke my cherry on the "water tower" descent on the upper part of grand tour. Holy moly that first drop after the road crossing is a duesey.

2.5 maxis dhfs show up next week. Will be an interesting experiment.

Keep your front end straight off each step. I suggest walking down with the bike, seeing where/how it will land off each. Too slow on that trail is just as dangerous as too fast, in my experience..try for ~8mph, or so. There are also several non-obvious lines that are actually easier than the center of each drop.

I'm getting my mileage/week back up slowly, but if you want to do ~1.5 hours tomorrow, I'll be going sometime around 10:00-11:00.

Keep your front end straight off each step. I suggest walking down with the bike, seeing where/how it will land off each. Too slow on that trail is just as dangerous as too fast, in my experience..try for ~8mph, or so. There are also several non-obvious lines that are actually easier than the center of each drop.

I'm getting my mileage/week back up slowly, but if you want to do ~1.5 hours tomorrow, I'll be going sometime around 10:00-11:00.

@karatemonkey. I ended up riding high on the berms and dropping off to the sides vs middle. Speed helped too.

I wont be able to make a ride the next few days, but yes Mon/Tues after work.

Not anymore... the root has been removed. That spot just kept getting more and more washed out with every heavy rain.

Reactions: don
Lame... How else are supposed to people progress for creek?
I bet it was riders, taming shit down. The park doesn't GAF about that tiny stretch of trail. I saw someone post on a mtb Facebook group that they didn't like harts "too many roots and rocks". I informed him that leaves like 3 parks in nj for him to ride.

I bet it was riders, taming shit down. The park doesn't GAF about that tiny stretch of trail. I saw someone post on a mtb Facebook group that they didn't like harts "too many roots and rocks". I informed him that leaves like 3 parks in nj for him to ride.

Jeez, hope you're not including Allaire or Wharton in that tally. I can't think of a single system, other than maybe 6 mile, that doesn't have some major sections of roots or rocks.

In all seriousness, that trail needs major work to keep it from degrading, forget about "fixing" it to a smooth chute. Unfortunately, it's not something that can be "fixed" with a water bar, so it's not going to happen without some illegal work.

Jeez, hope you're not including Allaire or Wharton in that tally. I can't think of a single system, other than maybe 6 mile, that doesn't have some major sections of roots or rocks.

In all seriousness, that trail needs major work to keep it from degrading, forget about "fixing" it to a smooth chute. Unfortunately, it's not something that can be "fixed" with a water bar, so it's not going to happen without some illegal work.
I wonder if a lil switchback flow style would work there? Like in Ringwood and Nassau? I agree, the park would sooner shut it down than touch it. The sketchy washed-out-ed-ness is part of the fun though. Keeps you guessing. 😆 Lol.

Huh? There are rocks at harts? The poster must of been referring to all the sand grains.

Rode here on Sunday for the first time since last winter. Plenty of sand and erosion and hikers (oh my!). But still lots of fun.

Short ride out late this afternoon. Dry, sandy with more sand mixed in. The Grand tour /watertower drop section definitely looks a bit different than the last ride. Today was also the first ride on the 2.5 inch maxxis dhfs. They float a bit better than the 2.24 nobby nics I had on before but not sold on the ability for climbing ( I know I know it's a dh tire.) The psi "magic formula" put me at 28 rear and 25 front. I think lower psi might be on the order for the next ride.

Short ride out late this afternoon. Dry, sandy with more sand mixed in. The Grand tour /watertower drop section definitely looks a bit different than the last ride. To me it looks like someone filled in the cavity of the first drop. Today was also the first ride on the 2.5 inch maxxis dhfs. They float a bit better than the 2.24 nobby nics I had on before but not sold on the ability for climbing ( I know I know it's a dh tire.) The psi "magic formula" put me at 28 rear and 25 front. I think lower psi might be on the order for the next ride and reevaluate.

The nobby nice is sold as schwalbes jack of all trades tire, at least according to their advertising

Should've informed him that roadies always need friends.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions