Hurricane thread(aka kitchen appliances I can't afford thread)

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We got the 8/11 notice.
Got the generator back.

about 5 BC (before Covid)) I picked up a generator interface from @MadisonDan. It has been sitting in the basement.
Let’s just say not having coffee was motivating!

didn’t feel like running out for conduit, maybe today
View attachment 136327
Holy shit dude.. I think that was the first time we met, no? We were gonna put a whole house rig in when we did the renno, but it was a casualty of being over budget.
Thankfully, Madison has our own electric company/workers. The were also proactive in that they were out pruning trees near power lines a week before the storm. Only half the town lost power, and it was back on mostly within a few hours despite the number of lines down, and poles that needed to be replaced..

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
We got the 8/11 notice.
Got the generator back.

about 5 BC (before Covid)) I picked up a generator interface from @MadisonDan. It has been sitting in the basement.
Let’s just say not having coffee was motivating!

didn’t feel like running out for conduit, maybe today
View attachment 136327
So what is the benefit of a transfer switch like that? I just have mine powering the whole box with a safety lockout plate to prevent back-feeding the line. I guess since I have gas heat, dryer, and hot water I can get away with a 7000W powering my whole house.

iman29

I guess I won’t ask Pat to wire my transfer switch.

ive been procrastinating getting one installed for years but now I will finally do it. having the furnace or AC on would be the main benefit and also not having to run extension cords thru the house would be more safe. Will have electrician do it I don’t mess with that stuff.

have a 5500 W generator and I’m told this should be enough for AC and or furnace plus sump pump and fridges. Only select circuits in the housewould get connected because the TV and internet stuff is a luxury at that point to me and I have gas Appliances and public water sewer.

Having gas generator still means refueling and stock piling some gas cans but for the few times we might need it it’s ok. I don’t plan to stay in this house long enough (maybe 6-8 more years) to invest in a more complex setup bedsides I don’t have those funds now anyway.

today I will order a battery backup for the sump pump to cover that better since that’s always the priority to not let the pit overflow.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So what is the benefit of a transfer switch like that? I just have mine powering the whole box with a safety lockout plate to prevent back-feeding the line. I guess since I have gas heat, dryer, and hot water I can get away with a 7000W powering my whole house.
The transfer switch is meant to be hooked up to a handful of select circuits, with a single plug from a portable generator. Sump pumps, fridge/freezer, maybe one HVAC unit, and a room with lights. instead or running extension cords everywhere, those things are powered thru the existing lines. They're not very expensive.

mtn

Just so you all know, if you have the lines ripped off your house or a downed tree on the lines in your yard, expect to be 3/4 of the way down the list in terms of restoring power.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
today I will order a battery backup for the sump pump to cover that better since that’s always the priority to not let the pit overflow.

would not recommend those "Wayne" battery backup POS
instead
Get a 12V "johnson" 2200GPH bilge pump for boat application, with associated float switch
check valve
12V LiFePO battery
Battery Minder maintainer / charger
run a new separate discharge for this pump.
battery and charger in a metal box hung on the wall.

1596727116327.png

1596727047247.png

1596727195817.png

Attachments

• 1596726999751.png
    1596726999751.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 1

Fire Lord Jim

Going through this seemingly every couple of years definitely has me considering something closer to a whole house unit, but it just seems crazy for something that gets used that little. And anything beyond heat, hot water, and refrigeration is just unnecessary luxury :)
The whole house unit costs a lot, and still needs to be fueled somehow. Natural gas burns nicely, buy doesn't have explosive power to turn heay magnets. Consider that your furnace may use gas, but still uses electricity to circulate. Propane has more power than natural gas, but still will make your broke trying to run a generator on it.
I have been leaning towards a hotel room. I think it would cost less that a whole house generator.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
The transfer switch is meant to be hooked up to a handful of select circuits, with a single plug from a portable generator. Sump pumps, fridge/freezer, maybe one HVAC unit, and a room with lights. instead or running extension cords everywhere, those things are powered thru the existing lines. They're not very expensive.
Like I said I just have my generator running to a 220 breaker that feeds the whole box, no extension cords etc. If you really want you can shut off individual breakers, but a decent sized generator can handle most things other than large draw electric appliances (oven, toaster, range, hot water heater). The worst that can happen is the generator breaker trips and then you shut off whatever caused it. Now with LEDs and low power Tvs, you can run a lot of stuff with minimal power draw. My house looks like normal even with the generator running (6500W running/7000W max).

Last edited:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I have the small 2KW Honda style knockoff generator from Harbor Freight. It's been great. Can't hear it running from the house at all, and certainly not with multiple neighbors running generators 24/7. Only downside is it's only 110 and obviously well short of being able to power everything, so I have it connected to the gas boiler/hot water heater, refrigerator, Verizon box and modem, and then plugs for random electronics. Going through this seemingly every couple of years definitely has me considering something closer to a whole house unit, but it just seems crazy for something that gets used that little. And anything beyond heat, hot water, and refrigeration is just unnecessary luxury :)
The bigger ones at HF are still pretty cheap You can get an 8750W for like $599. That is enough to power a lot of stuff.

ebarker9

The bigger ones at HF are still pretty cheap You can get an 8750W for like $599. That is enough to power a lot of stuff.

Yup, but they're a lot louder. And the limitation for other things that I'd want to run with the smaller one is really just getting cords to everything. My main panel is a particularly ridiculous installation in a finished space so I'm not really looking to add a transfer switch or anything. So I think I'm good with what I have for the handful of days every year or two I have to run this stuff.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Yup, but they're a lot louder. And the limitation for other things that I'd want to run with the smaller one is really just getting cords to everything. My main panel is a particularly ridiculous installation in a finished space so I'm not really looking to add a transfer switch or anything. So I think I'm good with what I have for the handful of days every year or two I have to run this stuff.

What do you want serenity or AC and TV! :p

No really, I understand they are loud. The thing is in my neighborhood, once the power goes out everyone has a generator running anyway, so it's loud no matter what.

ebarker9

What do you want serenity or AC and TV! :p

No really, I understand they are loud. The thing is in my neighborhood, once the power goes out everyone has a generator running anyway, so it's loud no matter what.

Ha. Our neighborhood seems to be an endless racket of leaf blowers, chainsaws, landscaping crews, etc during normal times and it drives me insane so I try not to contribute any more than necessary. I don't understand why my neighbors are running generators all night. We're on town water. It's not hot out. Fridge is fine for 7-8 hours.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Ha. Our neighborhood seems to be an endless racket of leaf blowers, chainsaws, landscaping crews, etc during normal times and it drives me insane so I try not to contribute any more than necessary. I don't understand why my neighbors are running generators all night. We're on town water. It's not hot out. Fridge is fine for 7-8 hours.
Yeah, we are well and septic so full time.

jackx

The whole house unit costs a lot, and still needs to be fueled somehow. Natural gas burns nicely, buy doesn't have explosive power to turn heay magnets. Consider that your furnace may use gas, but still uses electricity to circulate. Propane has more power than natural gas, but still will make your broke trying to run a generator on it.
I have been leaning towards a hotel room. I think it would cost less that a whole house generator.
I have no generator, mainly because if I can't power my well pump, which is hard-wired, I might as well go to a hotel or stay with family (pre-Covid Wuhan virus).
I imagine getting a transfer switch installed would be necessary to connect a generator to so I can select which circuits to power, but I think my well pump requires a lot of power when it kicks-on, which is fairly often so I think I would have to get a large generator i.e. >9,000 Watts...

Regarding a natural gas whole house generator, I understand that the motor needs annual maintenance and oil changes and it seems like a big expense for something I essentially hope to not have to use.

Top Bottom