Are E-bikes the new normal?

• Total voters

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
on the weekend. ;)

i want to take an e-bike into wildcat!

gpTron

I noticed lately a lot of mountain bike youtubers are shilling ebikes hard since they just so happen to be getting ebikes from their sponsors.

Ian F

I noticed lately a lot of mountain bike youtubers are shilling ebikes hard since they just so happen to be getting ebikes from their sponsors.
I've noticed that as well. The Syd and Macky videos about the new Niner e-bike aren't bad. He recently posted an interesting back to back comparison.

GTCHAMPION1

I already encountered a couple of rude people on e-bikes flying by me and pretty much telling me to let them pass because I'm in front of them. E-bikes can be cool on the streets but I can see this being a problem in the trails with the wrong people purchasing this electric vehicles. I am out of shape at this time and may need some pedal assist, but I refuse to get an ebike, I already got too comfortable to gain weight, and what I want is to be fit again and have the strength to complete miles of trails on my own.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the people i have seen on ebikes (mostly on the road) were all putzing along, i have yet to fail in passing them easily on my regular old road bike . . . . .

the one guy i have seen using one in the woods was still unable to keep up with the 'intermediate' level group ride he had decided to join . . . .

Captain Brainstorm

E-bikes will be the "new normal", from a marketing perspective anyway, until they find another way to make mountain biking easier, or the bike companies decide to completely overhaul geometry or wheel-size again.

bergsnj

Just because you are riding an e-bike does not mean you are riding like an asshole. With acoustic bikes some riders are faster than others and we still all exist on the trails. E-bikes are faster but you can still maintain trail etiquette while riding one. And going downhill they are not faster than a normal bike. We have all probably encountered plenty of assholes on normal bikes over the years. I have never riden an e-bike and don't plan on owning one any time soon. But I have ridden on trails with them and had no issues.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My latest eBike encounter was watching a 120lb woman trying to lift the front wheel of her assumably very heavy eBike onto the lift at Creek. The irony in the amount of PHYSICAL EFFORT it took to lift a BIKE WITH A MOTOR onto a LIFT OPERATED CABRIOLET was priceless. 10/10 would watch again.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My latest eBike encounter was watching a 120lb woman trying to lift the front wheel of her assumably very heavy eBike onto the lift at Creek. The irony in the amount of PHYSICAL EFFORT it took to lift a BIKE WITH A MOTOR onto a LIFT OPERATED CABRIOLET was priceless. 10/10 would watch again.

want to borrow a gopro so we can all enjoy it next time?

RoB

I've been riding my eMTB lately and certainly have tried not to be a jerk about it. As mentioned previously, they are no help on DH sections (the weight is actually a bit of a hindrance), and on climbs I'm happy to ride wherever I am in the group. Yes, I have an easier time climbing on the bike, but hopefully regular group ride etiquette prevails among the eBike riders as it would with acoustic bike riders.

I don't typically have time to ride my bike during the week due to other commitments (family, sports, work, etc), so the eBike allows me to participate in social rides on weekends despite not being in the best physical condition. Since buying it, I'm excited about riding again, and it's been a whole lot of fun exploring new trails and being able to ride the fun sections multiple times. From a scheduling perspective, I can ride a lot more trails in a limited amount of time. So...for me, it's been a huge factor in getting back into biking as much as possible.

pygmypony

one of my oldest buddies who used to ride regularly has been off a bike for the last 10 years due to a variety of work injuries / illness. a few weeks ago he bought himself a cube full squish e bike and HE'S BACK! i couldn't be more pumped to have one of my riding pals back on the trails. in my view, this is the best use case for the ebike. let's face it, someone who rides an ebike like an asshole, will ride ANY bike like an asshole!

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 2.14.26 PM.png

Top Bottom