Lewis Morris Conditions

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Still tons of trees down. I was stopping to take photos so I could say where the damage is, but I honestly got tired of stopping to do so. Basically assume any trail you go on has a tree down. (Photos are from both PP & LM)
IMG_20200809_113124.jpg
IMG_20200809_112206.jpg
IMG_20200809_112042.jpg

For those of you who ride from Morristown into Lew Mo via Patriots path, the section from MLK is completely blocked with no go around.
IMG_20200809_104526.jpg

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
more photos of damage in Lew Mo. i did notice that some of the smaller/thinner trees were cleared out (so thank you to the little TM elves)

i did email dchaplick@morrisparks.net but
Kelli Kovacevic
Director of Park Maintenance and Natural Resources Management
Administration
Morris County Park Commission
kkovacevic@morrisparks.net

is the one who replied. i emailed both addresses with these new photos this morning

IMG_20200811_192858.jpg
IMG_20200811_183530.jpg
IMG_20200811_185300.jpg
IMG_20200811_190005.jpg
IMG_20200811_185330.jpg

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
update on my previous post

Thank you for this, this was very helpful. I was able to produce a map with the locations and have sent that on to our maintenance staff who will address as soon as possible. We are dealing with staffing shortages due to furloughs right now so our response time is a bit slower than it would normally be but I hope to have these addressed in the near future. I will certainly keep you posted.

Photos of downed trees along with locations are always much appreciated as they expedite response efforts on our end. Please let me know of any other downed trees you may encounter.

Thanks again,

Kelli

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should let her know that that JORBA would have had Lewis Morris and the Tourne completely cleared by now, free of charge.
in my original email, i did mention JORBA but 🤷‍♀️

i'm hoping if they get emails about the parks from mountain bikers (with pics and GPS locations), they'll realize how much we have invested in these trails and they'll reconsider reaching out to JORBA.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
from reading the meeting minutes, they are planning to contract with the NYNJTC for trail maintenance of LM.

xc62701

If it's anything like their typical response:
Sorry, all of our people are currently doing other things than caring for these trails. In the meantime enjoy the blown out, blocked off, desperately in need of rerouted trail, and take pictures so we can do nothing. Thanks for your interest in the park!

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
If it's anything like their typical response:
Sorry, all of our people are currently doing other things than caring for these trails. In the meantime enjoy the blown out, blocked off, desperately in need of rerouted trail, and take pictures so we can do nothing. Thanks for your interest in the park!
Maybe we take the approach of. "my horse cannot step over this tree..." those are the park users they seem to want to keep happy.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA.ORG
Update: It rained VERY hard last night/this morning.

Did a quick ride 430pm, trees I encountered are 3 down from the top of the northern loop down (bombs away,) the climb from the bridge up the fire road, and the decent to the bridge before rollercoaster. Mud in the normal spots.

Last edited:

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA.ORG
I reached out to the Lewmo contact mentioned above to report some trees and got a really nice response. Very similar to MissJR's but then they followed up with this asking to share it and provide feedback.

"I wanted to let you know that we have developed a new app for reporting trail conditions that is now ready for beta testing. This app will allow users to submit reports of trail issues along with photos from the specific location of the problem. We are hopeful that it will help bring issues such as downed trees to our attention in a more timely manner as we do not have enough resources to walk all of our trails on a regular basis.

If you are interested in being one of our testers, please go to this web address from your phone when you encounter a trail issue: https://arcg.is/05enae0

It will prompt you to either download the app to your phone or you can choose to access it through your web browser. We have found that downloading the app itself tends to produce better location accuracy but we are still assessing how it works for different users and on different phone models. If you choose to test it, please get back to me with any feedback in terms of how easy or difficult you found it to use along with any suggestions for improvement. We would very much appreciate your help in testing this out! And please share this info with any others you think may be interested in helping us test the app."

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions