NJ Boating Safety Certificate

Can anyone recommend a good online course for the NJ Boating Safety Certificate? I am aware that I will need to take an additional test after completing that course.... Just want to know if anyone had great success with one vs another...

Thanks!

w_b

I am a bit biased as a retired CG vet, but feel that the CG Auxiliary does a wonderful job here; it is one of their primary missions. You can find the nearest couse to you by clicking here.

2nd for USCG Aux. course. I took it back in the ‘80’s at Sea Girt CG, when it became mandatory for PWC, then took it again in the ‘00’s to keep my wife company at Middlesex CC. Both times: enjoyable, interesting, and informative.

mntal

It's too bad (but no surprise) that NJ is so archaic and still requires and in-person exam.

pkovo

I just did the Boaters-Ed program. Signed up late last week. completed the online piece over the weekend and took the in-person exam today. It was all pretty easy.

They have it setup so you take the in-person exam in your car in a parking lot.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I just did the Boaters-Ed program. Signed up late last week. completed the online piece over the weekend and took the in-person exam today. It was all pretty easy.

They have it setup so you take the in-person exam in your car in a parking lot.

Tell more!
I'm all over this - i timed out a bunch of years ago and never went for the cert.
which is funny, cause i had my license at 14 - ya just paid like $4.

pkovo

Tell more!
I'm all over this - i timed out a bunch of years ago and never went for the cert.
which is funny, cause i had my license at 14 - ya just paid like $4.
sorry, torn calf has kept me off the bike and away from here for a bit.

What do you want to know?

The online piece was easy, but you have to sit through each slide/video, cant just jump ahead. There is literally a timer on each one that tells you when you can advance to the next one. There is apparently a requirement for the instruction to take ate least some minimum amount of time, so this is how they do it. It's not bad though. I did a good chunk of it sitting poolside with the family. A lot of it is just common sense and rough to sit through, but stuff like channel markers, right of ways etc was all new to me. If there was no time requirement, I could pull what I need from the material for the test in an hour or less.

I did the in-person test in Bridge water. but they seem to have locations throughout the state. It was a little clumsy doing it in the car, but pretty well organized. They email you videos outlining what to expect, as long as you watch them and read the emails, it's pretty idiot proof. Trust me I can test idiot proof haha.

The test itself was quite easy, I actually got 100%. I overheard the guy in front of me only missed one question. A handful of specific questions on markers, buoys, parts of a boat, jet skis, and rights of way etc, but then a good bit of common sense questions, some even ridiculous laugh out loud stuff as well that you simply cant get wrong.

The whole thing seems silly for my situation since I am really just planning on piloting either a 10' mini bass boat and/or a canoe sporting a 3hp outboard or trolling motor, but requirements are what they are.

Patrick

Staff member
sorry, torn calf has kept me off the bike and away from here for a bit.

What do you want to know?

The online piece was easy, but you have to sit through each slide/video, cant just jump ahead. There is literally a timer on each one that tells you when you can advance to the next one. There is apparently a requirement for the instruction to take ate least some minimum amount of time, so this is how they do it. It's not bad though. I did a good chunk of it sitting poolside with the family. A lot of it is just common sense and rough to sit through, but stuff like channel markers, right of ways etc was all new to me. If there was no time requirement, I could pull what I need from the material for the test in an hour or less.

I did the in-person test in Bridge water. but they seem to have locations throughout the state. It was a little clumsy doing it in the car, but pretty well organized. They email you videos outlining what to expect, as long as you watch them and read the emails, it's pretty idiot proof. Trust me I can test idiot proof haha.

The test itself was quite easy, I actually got 100%. I overheard the guy in front of me only missed one question. A handful of specific questions on markers, buoys, parts of a boat, jet skis, and rights of way etc, but then a good bit of common sense questions, some even ridiculous laugh out loud stuff as well that you simply cant get wrong.

The whole thing seems silly for my situation since I am really just planning on piloting either a 10' mini bass boat and/or a canoe sporting a 3hp outboard or trolling motor, but requirements are what they are.

i didn't know about boat-ed.com - $40 at home, this is great!
i'm kinda sure i know most of it - and as you mentioned, some of it is just common sense. the sailboat can not get out of the way.
this all came around because of jet ski accident/fatalities. going to make my kid take it with me.

Thanks for the lead!

pkovo

i didn't know about boat-ed.com - $40 at home, this is great!
i'm kinda sure i know most of it - and as you mentioned, some of it is just common sense. the sailboat can not get out of the way.
this all came around because of jet ski accident/fatalities. going to make my kid take it with me.

Thanks for the lead!

no problem. Yes, the sailboat almost always has the right of way, except when they are passing people...does that actually happen...haha

The common sense questions were laughable. I wish I had a better memory but stuff like....a storm is coming what do you do a) crouch on the floor, b) throw extra gear overboard etc..

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Has anyone ever been stopped and asked for their cert? I got mine in 1995 and have never been asked for it, been boarded a number of times by CG and a ticket 1 time for not having a flair on my PWC.

Patrick

Staff member
Has anyone ever been stopped and asked for their cert? I got mine in 1995 and have never been asked for it, been boarded a number of times by CG and a ticket 1 time for not having a flair on my PWC.

yes - lake hopatcong.
had my license, whisle, pfd, and wasn't making a wake.
OTOH, we had a keg on the beach - so maybe they were watching?

Patrick

Staff member
Just finished the on-line course - scheduled the test for Saturday morning.
Might see someone i know at the Raritan Police Station - looking forward to burning suburbans. ;)

Did the course over 3 sessions in 3 days - it is 5 hours, and they have a timer running to make sure it lasts 5 hours.
Their quiz questions are about as dumb as they come, so i hope the test is like that.
only 1 sensical answer.

$40 for the course
$50 for the test
$18 then a trip to the MVC (DMV) for the endorsement on the license.

Then i'll be able to operate the yacht legally.

THATmanMANNY

I misplaced mine many years ago. I emailed the organization 3 months ago. Finally, got an email they will be sending me a new one last week. Actually really surprised they don't charge you. Now they will start to charge going forward....

Patrick

Staff member
I misplaced mine many years ago. I emailed the organization 3 months ago. Finally, got an email they will be sending me a new one last week. Actually really surprised they don't charge you. Now they will start to charge going forward....

sending? what is this, the 1980s?
:D

you have the endorsement on your license ?
Getting pulled over, do they want to see the cert and the endorsement ? (given that you need the cert to get the endorsement - it seems silly)

- i believe the rule is both, but.....any real life examples

THATmanMANNY

I have the 'BOAT'

Confirm, the rule is both on for non tidal waters. No experience.
Tidal waters only the safety cert.

I guess it's about the $ to have the BOAT stamp.

My friend cruises with no insurance. What are the consequences?

Top Bottom