2020 garden thread

ekuhn

My cucumbers and a few of my pepper plants were snacked on. Believed by some rabbit(s). Long range plan is a better fence around the garden and some raised beds. It'll be a winter project. Some of the tomatoes were nibbled but nothing crazy.

Any other tips on keeping those bunnies away? Other than a hard fence barrier?

Fire Lord Jim

My cucumbers and a few of my pepper plants were snacked on. Believed by some rabbit(s). Long range plan is a better fence around the garden and some raised beds. It'll be a winter project. Some of the tomatoes were nibbled but nothing crazy.

I have had success with a boom box playing NPR. Even animals hate it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
going to be a good grape year

1594826236981.png

This branch will probably break from the peaches - i should thin them, but they all look so healthy - maybe support the branch somehow

1594826288192.png

Tomatoes are turning - the julliettes are almost 8' tall and full o fruit.

1594826336656.png

Blueberries are still happening - nice mix with all the wild red berries around the yard.

1594826388486.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Marigolds planted around my bed seem to keep the bunnies at bay in my yard.

That being said, the deer have been a-holes this year. Totally ravaged my bed that doesnt have a fence.

ekuhn

Marigolds planted around my bed seem to keep the bunnies at bay in my yard.

That being said, the deer have been a-holes this year. Totally ravaged my bed that doesnt have a fence.

I have marigolds around the garden. They DGAF. I put a salt lick out to distract the deer.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I’m not a gardener ...like at all, which is ironic based on the Germanic origins of my last name....and It’s not even garden related per say, but the deer keep eating all my $@&! lily blossoms and the tops of all my hostas and succulents in front of my house. ?

Short of me sitting on my roof with night vision goggles and a cross-bow, does anything work?

RobW

I’m not a gardener ...like at all, which is ironic based on the Germanic origins of my last name....and It’s not even garden related per say, but the deer keep eating all my $@&! lily blossoms and the tops of all my hostas and succulents in front of my house. ?

Short of me sitting on my roof with night vision goggles and a cross-bow, does anything work?
motion activated sprinklers during the night time.
going to be a good grape year

View attachment 134381

This branch will probably break from the peaches - i should thin them, but they all look so healthy - maybe support the branch somehow

View attachment 134382

Tomatoes are turning - the julliettes are almost 8' tall and full o fruit.

View attachment 134383

Blueberries are still happening - nice mix with all the wild red berries around the yard.

View attachment 134384
my blueberry bush seems to be the same with brown branches.. berries arent blue yet.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
motion activated sprinklers during the night time.

my blueberry bush seems to be the same with brown branches.. berries arent blue yet.
Yeah..... did i mention not a gardener. That extends to lawns as well ?. I grow weeds not grass (and not the fun kind) and I’m ok with that. Not investing in a sprinkler system, not even a hose and a battery operated timer. I had great success in 1997-99 with Home Depot 5 gal buckets and a few varieties of cherry and plumb tomato’s but haven’t gardened since. I do want to do a raised bed veggie garden next year and will probably go the galvanized tub route ala Dan’s post.

RobW

Yeah..... did i mention not a gardener. That extends to lawns as well ?. I grow weeds not grass (and not the fun kind) and I’m ok with that. Not investing in a sprinkler system, not even a hose and a battery operated timer. I had great success in 1997-99 with Home Depot 5 gal buckets and a few varieties of cherry and plumb tomato’s but haven’t gardened since. I do want to do a raised bed veggie garden next year and will probably go the galvanized tub route ala Dan’s post.
keeping deer away with mono fishing line works too.

Top Bottom